Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Best/Fastest page rendering?

From everyone out there what is the best format for the fastest/best page rendering speed?

Is is specific pdf's formatted in a specific manner? If so how?

Is it xHtml?

Is it txt?

I am going to get to work on preparing/creating a number of documents for my iLiad, so I would like to know from you all what it the best manner that you all have found so far.

Thanx!
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Roceh
Roceh began at the beginning.

The .xeb reader seems to be the fastest, however the text is a little on the big size.
Roceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Roceh

I've been getting a little frustrated with the page turn speed on the pdf viewer and the font size on the xeb viewer is to big. Having noticed the picture show demo was always pretty quick on page turns, pressumably because a lot of cpu time is spent rasterizing the vector text for pdf/html. I wrote a little proggy that generates a picture show from a text file, similar to how the sony librie works i guess. Get the PC to do the hard work, and just have the device blit the bitmap to the screen.

It works pretty well, as fast as the xeb reader. I've attached an example chapter and the VERY basic proggy for anyone interested.

The generated book is put in a subfolder called books in the same directory as the proggy.

UPDATE: improved the text rendering, looks a lot nicer now. Both attachments updated.

UPDATE2: Fixed a couple of small bugs, and added proportional text option
Attached Files
File Type: zip bitmap_ebook_test3.zip (354.2 KB, 319 views)
File Type: zip TextToImage3.zip (269.2 KB, 370 views)

Last edited by Roceh; 07-29-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Your program seems pretty slick. I cannot figure out just how you set it up. On your ebook test you have html files and the resultant image files yet your are only allowed to use txt files.

I take it that you have to load each page individually. When I try that on the second page when I try loading the second file the program just disappears.

I like the idea of your program as I would like to make up some flashcards, so it would be nice to have them load quickly. Right now it looks like I would have to have a text document for each card side. Would there be a quicker way?

Thanx for your efforts so far!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Roceh

It currently just takes a text file, formats using the font and size you want and generates lots of html and 16 colour gifs images of the text, formated in the way irex did there picture show demo.

If you want to put your own pictures in, you'll have to copy manually what irex does. They put a short pdf on how to do it here:

http://www.irextechnologies.com/file...ur%20iLiad.pdf

If you haven't got the demo content, its here:

http://www.cogitatio.de/downloads/content.zip
Advert
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
firekat
Groupie

Thanks!