Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not sure to what extent Dickens' novel is a basis for Simmons'; but the narrator is Wilkie Collins and Dickens is the principal character.

In Simmons' book, Drood is an evil underworld villain (according to the back cover which is all I've read so far ).
That sounds quite good, I might have to check it out.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I was surprised by the "to be continued" , having missed the info that the 3 book where now 4 books.
Yes a bit annoying that once I finish Brisingr which will probably be another week, I will be left dangling until the 4th and final book of the series is completed!

By the time the last installment comes out, I'll probably have to read the first 3 books again to get back into it. SIGH Should have done my homework first then I'd have known it was incomplete but I downloaded the Eragon audio from the library on a whim and enjoyed it so much I bought the ebook version.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #33
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I finished "the alienist" by Caleb Carr and decided to re-read "the time traveler's wife". I will then go over to "her fearful symmetry". The next one after that will be "Homer & Langley".
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Finishing The Demon Apostle by R.A. Salvatore.

For those interested, I think the first two books in the trilogy are still free on Kindle. Just download The Demon Awaken's. It actually has that full book, plus all of The Demon Spirit.

It's not super great though. Not nearly as good as his long dark elf series.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah! for Homer and Langely! Doctorow is excellent! It's right up their with Last Night in Twisted River for the best I've read recently.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #36
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
What is it?

Myself, I am finishing off two books started in '09 right now but I think my first 'fresh for 2010' read is going to be Under the Dome since I think it will be the book club choice.
Minda Webber's "The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein".
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #37
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm still finishing up "Owl's Well that Ends Well" by Donna Andrews from 2009 in pbook (not available in ebook so I caved and bought the rest of the series in pbook in October - Ms. Andrews needs to horsewhip her publishers IMHO). Started "Dial Om For Murder" by Diana Killian last night, because I was too lazy to hold the pbook open but had to read to get my brain to shut off before I could sleep. I usually have two or three books going anyway, so no worries there.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm finishing up some re-reads, and then I'm gonna get cracking on Christopher Moore's "Fluke" as my first start-to-finish fresh read of 2010...at least that's the plan.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #39
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy
Now that was excellent!

I may read Flash Forward on the Kindle, but I've also just gotten out Widdershins by Charles de Lint (in trade paperback), which I may dig into first.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #40
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Having finished Map of Bones by James Rollins between Xmas and New Year I decided to start the year off with some humour and read A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. What a strange book that was
Right now I am reading the humorous nonfiction ebook A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson where he tells the story of his trek along the Appalachian Trail.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #41
saturnblackhole
saturnblackhole began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader touch edition
i started to read "the family" by jeff sharlet
saturnblackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #42
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Two words: Raymond Chandler. Three more words: The Big Sleep.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnblackhole View Post
i started to read "the family" by jeff sharlet
I read that last year. It's dry going at times, but very well researched. In amazing detail Sharlet shows on the one hand just how frighteningly saturated the upper echelons of our government are with anti-intellectual fundamentalists, and on the other hand just how twisted and manipulative their version of "Jesus only" Christianity can be.

Great choice for your first ebook of 2010!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I finished "the alienist" by Caleb Carr and decided to re-read "the time traveler's wife". I will then go over to "her fearful symmetry". The next one after that will be "Homer & Langley".
The Time Traveler's Wife was a wonderful novel. Now I'm waiting for the DVD to be released (Feb. 2010, last I heard), to see what kind of job Hollywood did with it. Some say that if you haven't read the book, the movie will lose you.

Sometime during 2010 I plan to read Her Fearful Symmetry.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #45
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm reading (for the first time) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I'm also doing a "re-listen" to Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retrieval Artist while commuting, and just finished A Father's Heart by Karen Young.

I don't usually read more than one book at a time, but lately I've had two going at the same time - one on the reader and one in print. I've got to get rid of the print library that aren't keepers! So I've taken to keeping the reader during the day (lunch / evening breaks at work) and reading the paper books at home. The audiobook was a fluke - I started it on the trip to and from Cleveland for the Christmas holiday, and now I've just GOT to finish it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote