Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just ran epubcheck on one of the edited ePub files and it did not have any issue with mimetype.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #17
padman
padman began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, Cool-ER, iRex DR1000, iRex iLiad
Does the compression have to be zip? What if I use another software – eg. 7-zip? And what software do you use for compression on mac?
padman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Any zip program that produces a valid zip file should be fine - provided it doesn't add extraneous stuff between filename and file contents.

On the Mac I use the built-in zip command, controlled with an AppleScript to make it a drag&drop operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padman View Post
Does the compression have to be zip? What if I use another software – eg. 7-zip? And what software do you use for compression on mac?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #19
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do is unzip the ePub, and then make the changes and put back just the files that I've changed. Works quite easily.
I use WinRAR, with the external editor set to Notepad++ in the options. This allows me to open an epub in WinRAR, click on a file and have it open in Notepad++. When I save the file after editing, WinRAR automatically asks if I want to insert the changed version back into the archive. This way all the zipping and unzipping is handled behind the scenes.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I use WinRAR, with the external editor set to Notepad++ in the options. This allows me to open an epub in WinRAR, click on a file and have it open in Notepad++. When I save the file after editing, WinRAR automatically asks if I want to insert the changed version back into the archive. This way all the zipping and unzipping is handled behind the scenes.
Thanks for the tip. I gave it a go and it worked nicely.
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I do the exact same thing with WinRAR and Notepad++. Works very well and is a very easy setup.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
teodorp
teodorp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any chance for *.bat file which will make all this quckly?
teodorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
P.T
P.T began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I created a simple plugin for Calibre that embeds fonts into epub as a part of the conversion process.

Any feedback is welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip embedfont_plugin.zip (1.9 KB, 31473 views)
P.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.T View Post
I created a simple plugin for Calibre that embeds fonts into epub as a part of the conversion process.

Any feedback is welcome.
Apparently, my plugin adding/using ability is lacking.

er, how to use? I can get the epub built with what looks like the font embedded in the file, but it sure don't look like it in the viewers I have (calibre and ade[attached]).

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	1886
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	45597  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Liberation serif - Unknown.epub (356.8 KB, 1520 views)
File Type: zip Liberation serif - Unknown.zip (1.5 KB, 1519 views)

Last edited by brewt; 02-14-2010 at 09:05 PM.
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@PT: You can find the font file path like this

Code:
font_dir = P('fonts/liberation')
This is guaranteed to work on all platforms. It will give you the platform dependent location of the directory containing the liberation fonts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #26
padman
padman began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, Cool-ER, iRex DR1000, iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.T View Post

Any feedback is welcome.
I have added the plugin to Calibre, but apparently I do not know how to activate it. Generated ePUBs are still without fonts. Any hint how to use this plugin?
padman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #27
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padman View Post
I have added the plugin to Calibre, but apparently I do not know how to activate it. Generated ePUBs are still without fonts. Any hint how to use this plugin?
The plugin seems to be built for Liberation Fonts - if you have them in C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\fonts\liberation, and then open the epub as zip, you should see those in it.

I just can't figure out how to call them in my css/xhtml to make it work.

This is a grand idea - any chance of getting a) some more guidance, and b) the encryption scripts in it too?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Ok, I took a look at the css in the epub you posted. I don't use Calibre to produce ePubs (apart from a few very rough conversions), so I can't help you with that, but I can point out why you aren't seeing the fonts.

Firstly, the ePub has only got Liberation Serif embedded in it, so you aren't going to see the sans font at all, this may be an issue with how you've configured this plugin.
Secondly, the css code for the fonts is mangled. I don't know if this is an issue with the plugin code, but that seems a possibility.

Here are the edits I needed to make to get Liberation Serif to show up in the viewer:
Original:
Code:
@font-face {font-style: normal;font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;src: url(LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);}
Modified:
Code:
@font-face {font-style: normal;font-family: "Liberation Serif";font-weight: normal;src: url(LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);}
1) The font is referred to as "Liberation Serif" in the class definition, but is called 'Liberation' in the @font-face definition. The font-face defn. needed to be changed to Liberation Serif.
2) The font name is surrounded by single quotes in the font-face defn. These needed to be changed to double quotes.
3) I'm at a loss as to what the ancillary names are doing in the font-face definition ('Liberation', serif, sans-serif). These needed to be deleted.
All three changes had to be made for the font to show up correctly.

I'd suspect this is an issue with the plugin code needing to be tweaked a bit.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much!
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: normal;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
}
I don't really understand putting multiple family names in the @font-face declaration. This makes sense when you're using the fonts: you want a stack so that it moves down to a fallback if need be, but in the font-face, all this can do is screw up the fallbacks, right?

In any case, it appears that calibre's own viewer does not support multiple font weights/styles defined for the same family, which is rather obnoxious. At least others seem to.

(P.S. Hmm. Now I'm not entirely sure about this. I need to investigate something.)

Last edited by frabjous; 04-12-2010 at 05:15 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote