Device: Nook - Simple Touch
This book crashes the viewer

fyi

https://archive.org/download/Breviar...bilingual.epub
Dan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It doesn't crash the viewer for me. I does take a few seconds for it to display, but its easy to see why.

There is a single xhtml file containing 2.4MB or 351981 words.

The book needs to be reformatted.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2023, 02:44 AM   #3
Dan__
Connoisseur
Dan__ began at the beginning.

more detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
It doesn't crash the viewer for me. I does take a few seconds for it to display, but its easy to see why.

There is a single xhtml file containing 2.4MB or 351981 words.

The book needs to be reformatted.
This was on windows 11. The viewer crashed 3 times. It does not crash the viewer on Mac. I did not try it on linux

Sigil opened the epub with no problems or errors. The file also crashed Mapleread on iPad but opened in Kybook 3.

I am aware that the entire thing is useless, the was it was constructed. The text has been totally scrambled by whatever OCR process they use at the internet archive. Nevertheless, I thought you all might want to know in case there was some way for for the windows version of the viewer to handle a corrupted or malformed epub a bit more gracefully.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:47 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Opens OK (ish) for me on Win10 - needed a click on a URL to see anything.

Don't understand why people post crappy conversions, this one doesn't even meet my if it's near enough, it's good enough standard for pot-boiler novels.

Bi-lingual texts such as this require an awful lot of effort just to get a half decent conversion of the text alone, more if you want to retain the typography. Best to read the PDF on an iPad, a Surface Go or a Samsung foldaway fone.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:12 AM   #5
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Opens OK (ish) for me on Win10 - needed a click on a URL to see anything.
Ditto, also on Win10 here
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2023, 05:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Windows 11 here and the viewer does not crash.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:03 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan__ View Post
Download the PDF and do your own OCR. The epub will just be a single file of the their poor quality OCR with no proofing.
The ebooks on Internet Archive are thus rubbish.

Edit: Also has over 1000 png image files.
I looked at it in Calibre Editor and it has less OCR errors than usual, but totally junk formatting.

It was going to take forever to open in Calibre viewer, so I opened it in Okular, which was quick enough
Quote:
/]F%UR Father, Who art in heaven, VtL' Haliowed be Thy Name. Tkingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Givethis day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forthose who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; deliver us from evil. Arnen.
AIL, Mary, full of grace; The Lord is with thee: blessed art thou
amongst wornen, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, JESUS. HMary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour ofdeath. Arnen. also said:
3BELIEVE in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earAnd in JESUS CHRIST, his only Son, our Lord; who was conceivedconceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, na- the Holy Spirit, born of the
Pretty poor?

Last edited by Quoth; 08-13-2023 at 06:10 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:17 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Buy one off Amazon. Cheap in Kindle format. Some of the paper ones are expensive.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Took a quick look and as mentioned above, the text document is large and garbled. The images directory has multiple copies of decorative capitals and images. It also has quite a few of the pages as low quality images. See attached sample for the two column Latin/English layout. This is fairly easy to do as a PDF which is page oriented but would be a total pain to even come close to in a reflowable ebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.png
Views:	48
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	203152  

Last edited by DNSB; 08-13-2023 at 11:34 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

That would be why the ebook versions on Amazon are Latin OR English.

If you must use IA, only download the PDF. It will have the text in the epub version as an OCR text layer to help search.

I think this is an example of two column content that only works well as PDF.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:07 PM   #11
Dan__
Connoisseur

I'm sorry for offending you. When apps crash I report it so the devs will be aware. My interest is not in the content of this particular book, only that it does not elicit uniform, predictable behavior from a cross-platform app. Again, if I'm the only one that care about this kind of thing, I apologize for inflicting my comment on you
Old 08-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I don't think anyone is offended. An application behaving differently with essentially "broken" content isn't unusual.
Not crashing for various people on Win10, Win11 or Linux and no epub should be like that.
You'd need to report your system specification (RAM, GPU, drivers, version Win10) and probably a log as it's not crashing other people and it's daft construction of epub.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #13
Dan__
Connoisseur

Summary
Operating System
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7
RAM
64.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) (AM4)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
SyncMaster (1600x1200@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1600x1200@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (NVIDIA) 52 °C
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 43 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0 (SATA ) 33 °C
119GB ADATA SX6000NP (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Old 08-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As always with viewer crashes it will be some interaction between Qt WebEngine and the graphics drivers on your system. Try up dating your GPU drivers, if that does not help, then you can try disabling hardware acceleration as described in: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:21 PM   #15
Dan__
Connoisseur

Thanks