Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Fully charge the reader before updating?

OK, so here's my problem. Just a few hours ago, I opened Sony's Connect app while the PRS-505 was plugged in and it notified me of the lovely new firmware upgrade. I didn't pick up on the update sooner since a) I was until recently on vacation and b) I use calibre (kovid FTW).

So, giggly like a little school girl, I clicked on the "more info" or whatever link, saw the list of changes, and rushed to click that "update" button for fear it might scuttle away and hide in a corner, depriving me of PDF reflowing goodness.

Reader updates, I transfer 10 PDFs and start gorging myself on the MADNESS! that is reflow. After a brief period of unbridled happiness, a nagging little feeling seeps in from the back of my mind, telling me that I "missed" something important. I shoo it away, but it comes back. So I sit back at the computer, and yes, on Sony's site, on the page with the firmware changes, it says quite clearly in BIG BOLD RED letters (that I didn't consciously register at all, even though I read the whole page... it seems I'm retarded that way) that one should fully charge the Reader before updating; otherwise, one risks actual damage to the blessed device.

So... I obviously didn't charge it before I updated it, or you wouldn't be reading this, now would you?

I noticed that although I had only two battery bars before the update, it now says I have all four. Something is clearly amiss. My reasoning is that the update resets the Reader's battery timer or whatever, and now:

1. I should immediately charge the device, because if I let it drain with the whacked timer, it will damage the Reader.

OR

2. I should let the battery drain completely, because if I charge it with the whacked timer, it will damage the Reader.

I seem to be in a predicament. Thoughts and/or suggestions would be most welcome.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If it updated successfully, everything is fine. You could have problems updating if it had little charge remaining, but it's very unlikely it would have led to actual damage. As for four bars, it's possible that it charged enough while it was connected to USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Apparently you updated it without issue. So, there is nothing to worry about. It can't be "damaged" after the update has been successful.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, great. I thought it was something like that, but felt like the extra caution couldn't kill me.

Many thanks for helping me sort this out.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
It sounds like your USB port was able to charge the device enough to get four battery bars to register. I don't believe that the new firmware does any type of battery calibration.

In any event as long as he device does no die while the firmware upgrade is occuring you'll be fine. Having a fully charged device prior to any firmware upgrade is a standard requirement, unless the manufacture specifies plugging the device into a external A.C. power source
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Prolet
Prolet began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
It's simple...
If you start an update using an almost exhausted battery AND a configuration which does not charge your reader while connected via USB, power may run out during the update. This indeed may lead to a dead device.
Sony does not know about the cables you use, about any USB hubs involved - they simply are too lazy to explain every different situation.
So they just say: "Charge it fully" and they're out of liability.
The Reader will update even at the lowest charge IF the configuration is correct (charging while connected). The instructions just make sure it will work even in a worst case scenario.
Prolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I might add - just to be secure - that if you also bought the charger then you should plug the unit in for awhile and let the Reader get completely charged.

One time I was careless (I was involved in reading a great book), and the unit gave me a warning that my battery was low. I immediately turned it off and plugged it into the wall using the AC charger.

Curious: What "madness are you gorging yourself on?"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Curious: What "madness are you gorging yourself on?"
Ah... it seems you have not been keeping up with the internet memes. "MADNESS!" is a single word . So:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
...gorging myself on the MADNESS! that is reflow.
... is actually a single sentence. It sounds very silly when explained, like all jokes do.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
When I went through my painful efforts to replace the fonts and bricked the Reader maybe three or four times in a row, I only charged the reader for the first update, then I got tired and updated straight away. No issues.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote