Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
But noone really needs BoldItalic. I have seen it rarely used in novels.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #17
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Can you run it through calibre and convert the epub to epub (it saves the original)? There are all sorts of settings in calibre. I like to go to Look and Feel and check Remove spacing between paragraphs and set the indent size to 1.4 em and line size to .5em. Then go to the filter style information -> check fonts.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps because Charis SIL can be embedded legally for free? I suspect aesthetics have very little to do with it.
Why embed a font at all? Any e-reader ever created has at least one internal one, afaik.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I like being able to change fonts and other aspects of formatting, but I love it when I don't have to.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #20
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Maybe its just what I read but I've never felt the need to change anything.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why embed a font at all? Any e-reader ever created has at least one internal one, afaik.
Obviously I don't know for sure as I'm not a publisher , but at the time when I first saw Charis being embedded I, like many thousands of others, owned a Sony. The Sony built-in font (in fact its only font) at that time was appalling, especially its lack of glyphs for non-Western European languages. IIRC Charis helped to plug some of the gaps (e.g. East European, Cyrillic, ...) so I can see why it may have been appealing to them ... as well as being a no-cost solution.

Maybe they've never grown out of the habit. Actually, I quite like Charis, it certainly looks a lot nicer than that old Sony font. Eventually Sony changed their default to Amasis with much better glyph-coverage, but I'd moved onto Kobos by then.

Personally, as others have said, I would prefer it if publishers only embedded special fonts for things like headings if they must embed them at all. It's quite nice not to have all books look exactly the same. Unlike others I wish they didn't 'style-to-death' the front and back matter. I don't appreciate embedded fonts which only get used in their advertising pages.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #22
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Pat Cadigan's novel Fools, 1 person, 3 personalities, without different fonts for the different characters it gets really confusing
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Pat Cadigan's novel Fools, 1 person, 3 personalities, without different fonts for the different characters it gets really confusing
Hm, OK You got me there
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Why not use different attributes, rather than different fonts? Use plain old vanilla text for the main personality, italics for another, and bold for another. This would work much better for the people like me who never use the publisher settings and embedded fonts.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There's no problem with embedding fonts for titles, etc, but I do object to embedded body text fonts unless there's a specific reason for it (the use of unusual glyphs, for example). Leave me to choose my own!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Texts may contain special characters that can't be guaranteed to be included in all devices fonts. Anything outside of the Latin Extended character set runs a serious risk of not displaying on many devices.

That said; the epub version of The Grace of Kings wasn't to my liking (talking formatting here--the line-spacing especially). But I'm used to fixing that kind of stuff, so it didn't discourage me at all. Unless things are distracting for me, I just read them. I mostly buy new epubs from major publishers and rarely feel the need to correct them any more. They're "close enough" for me most times. This one was a rare exception for me these days.

Disappointing--sure. But even if I didn't know how to fix them, I think I'd have been able to acclimate to Grace of Kings' formatting pretty quickly.

I like what I like. But I'm not going to leave a potentially great book on the other side of some line drawn in the formatting sand over it. I read books where my formatting preferences weren't even taken into consideration for decades, after all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-30-2015 at 09:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Interesting. On my Kindle Voyage, the line spacing is just fine, I can change to any of the available fonts (serif and non-serif) and over all a nice read. Could this be a Kobo problem?
It's started happening with Kindle titles too, but they're still fairly rare. They let you change the size, but nothing else.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #28
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The biggest problems are with self-published books, though, tradpubs are usually pretty well done.
I'm not at all sure about that. I've read far too many really badly done ebooks from the tradpubs. I'm not talking about style, but basic formatting. No chapter breaks, characters using invalid code pages, and no bolding or italics where appropriate. All things that should be simple when your original text was in electronic form, anyway.

I do tend to think that the default format in an epub should be based on the defaults the publisher uses for "large print" books rather than for mass market editions: many people are using them for the same reason as they'd read LP books (e.g., it's common to use bold rather than italic font faces, as italics are often difficult for those with poorer eyesight).

But whatever you do, it should be possible to override it, or the publisher isn't getting the whole point of the medium.

I disagree, though, that this is a CSS problem rather than a reader problem. There has to be something in the CSS—and the hardware should let you change it. Apparently, for this particular book, Kindle does, kobo doesn't.

It makes little difference to me, as I tend to rewrite the CSS in books I own. But that's not the user friendly solution!
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote