Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #22096
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation ...." (Henry David Thoreau) There but for fortune...

Stitchawl
no stitchy, people like thee and me are kind of like the folks that they say "greatness seeks them out" for us I think the adventure is in the DNA, it's not even like we go searching for it, it's as normal as drawing breath
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #22097
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Reality show is a misnomer, none of these shows are anything like real life. Plus the fact that they are heavily edited to make a "better" show. Never watch any of them except when I stay with my sister which always reinforces my opinion of them. Give me a good story or I'll read a book.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #22098
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no stitchy, people like thee and me are kind of like the folks that they say "greatness seeks them out" for us I think the adventure is in the DNA, it's not even like we go searching for it, it's as normal as drawing breath
True... true... If I had to make my living in some sort of hell with fluorescent lighting, I'd probably slit my wrists. There is an old Chinese 'curse' that says 'May you live in quiet times.' Curse... not blessing. When I was going on my last trip a few weeks ago, someone wished me an 'boring flight.' I understood the sentiment, and appreciated it for how it was meant... but I would have much preferred a flight with an engine falling off or hijackers. Much more interesting.

Some years ago we were diving the waters off the island of Sipadan off the east coast of Borneo for a week. Some of the world's best diving there. Less than six days after we left, Abu Sayyaf guerrillas occupied the island and took 21 hostages from the dive resort, holding them for months. (The two American divers refused to cooperate with the guerrillas and escaped into the jungle.) From that day on, because of the incident, my wife and I each carry a 'hostage kit' packed into a waterproof cigarette box 24/7 when ever we are in 'less than friendly waters.' (antibiotics, anti-dysentery, pain meds, US dollars, and electrolyte powder.) We have not stopped traveling in those areas.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #22099
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Reality show is a misnomer, none of these shows are anything like real life. Plus the fact that they are heavily edited to make a "better" show. Never watch any of them except when I stay with my sister which always reinforces my opinion of them. Give me a good story or I'll read a book.
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #22100
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Allright; snow again. The municipality didn't clear/put salt on the bicycle-paths, so I had to walk to the Archives (to go bookbinding, which I love), with my bike on my hand, through the snow/mud for over half an hour at 8 o'clock in the morning.
Tomorrow again at 8. ***^^***
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #22101
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Allright; snow again. The municipality didn't clear/put salt on the bicycle-paths, so I had to walk to the Archives (to go bookbinding, which I love), with my bike on my hand, through the snow/mud for over half an hour at 8 o'clock in the morning.
Tomorrow again at 8. ***^^***
I know what you mean. Luckily I only have to go down the stairs to go to work. Usually the council workers don't grit our bit of street because it's a dead end and they don't like reversing back out. Likewise, they hardly ever drive the sweeper into our street to clean. This morning or some time during the night they did grit our street and we were pleasantly surprised. However, around 10.30 am the sweeper drove into our street and swept up all the salt!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #22102
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in the mood to start a new book series. However, I'm already reading six or seven series at the moment so I'm not allowed to start a new one until I've finished one that I'm working on. The problem is that all the series I'm currently reading still have 5+ books to go before I either finish the series or am up to date with a series. I have to remember that the next couple of series I start should be short ones so I don't get stuck again.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #22103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I have to remember that the next couple of series I start should be short ones so I don't get stuck again.
How about Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series. An excellent Fantasy/Romance series of four books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #22104
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. That's only three books. Right? I mean "trilogy" means three, doesn't it?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #22105
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. That's only three books. Right? I mean "trilogy" means three, doesn't it?
... unless it's Clavell's 'Asian Trilogy,' which is four books.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #22106
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How about Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series. An excellent Fantasy/Romance series of four books.
I'll check it out, I've several shorter series on my want to read list but this sounds interesting, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Didn't Douglas Adams say he wanted to write a trilogy of 6 books? I've read them all, but I have Dirk Gently on my tbr list.

Quote:
I'm working on the Asian Trilogy, but for me those are books I need to be in de mood for and last year I've had a bit of an overdose of historical novels so for now I'm staying away from that genre.

Tomorrow I'll make a spreadsheet which lists all the series I want to read listing not only the genre but also the number of books in the series, hopefully that make choosing easier.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #22107
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
My rant..... Don't I just hate it when I spend good money on a bag of air, only to open it and find that someone put a few potato chips in it!
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #22108
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:

Stitchawl
Hitchhikers is six
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #22109
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Didn't Douglas Adams say he wanted to write a trilogy of 6 books? I've read them all, but I have Dirk Gently on my tbr list.
Yes, of course. I was my idea of a joke (hence the "wink").

The Dirk Gently books are very good, too.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #22110
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know but Stitchs answer made me think he didn't.

Google is apparently blocking sites that have malware problems. One of my favorites is apparently a problem child. It is impossible to get on it and navigate it, at least it is problematic on my iPad.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness