Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1621
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post

So, what are others doing? All Collections? All tags? Some of both?
I had been working on fixing my tags in Calibre before the driver came out. Went from more than 900 tags (automatically downloaded and pretty useless) and trimmed it down to about 100 tags, then updated all my Marvin books with new metadata. The only collections I have in Marvin now are "Bailed" for books I don't finish and "Update" for books that have problems that need to be fixed in Calibre and overwritten. Maybe I will do a "want to re-read" collection at some point, too.

It would be nice if we could choose some favorite Subjects to put at the top level in Marvin.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #1622
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
MeSue: noted.
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #1623
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I had been working on fixing my tags in Calibre before the driver came out. Went from more than 900 tags (automatically downloaded and pretty useless) and trimmed it down to about 100 tags, then updated all my Marvin books with new metadata.
I am really impressed. I need to do that also, those downloaded tags are a pest, and not really indicative of the true nature of a book, IMO, in many cases.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #1624
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I am really impressed. I need to do that also, those downloaded tags are a pest, and not really indicative of the true nature of a book, IMO, in many cases.
Yes. Now that I have it cleaned up, I only get tags from Goodreads because you can map their genres to your tags. I disabled tag fetching for all other sources, and then I have a few of my own tags that I add manually.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #1625
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Seems that I have some problem with the Plugin when trying to update metadata in Marvin from Calibre...

Here is what I do and the results :

- Open Calibre,
- Open Marvin,
- Connect Marvin to to Calibre,
- Update metadata on one book in Calibre,
- Send the updated book to Marvin,
-> Then the process hangs up at around 66% and start working with no end in sight...

I must precise that the Plugin is set to update when the book is already on the device and that I cannot kill the job as Calibre says it cannot kill a process that is communicating with the device...
I can disconnect Marvin with no apparent issues...
I can "kill"/quit Calibre even though it tells me that the job is still on-going...

If I try removing the book from the iPad via using the plugin, the process also hangs at around 60% and starts running forever...
If I disconnect Marvin (No issues there...), I can see that the book is deleted from Marvin but that Calibre is still running with no end in sight...
If I "kill"/quit Calibre and reopen it I can then send the book back to Marvin...

Thus, my analysis is that something blocks the plugin from seeing that the job has been completed. I don't know what the problem might be...

And I hope that I am not too much
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #1626
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Seems that I have some problem with the Plugin when trying to update metadata in Marvin from Calibre...

Here is what I do and the results :

- Open Calibre,
- Open Marvin,
- Connect Marvin to to Calibre,
- Update metadata on one book in Calibre,
- Send the updated book to Marvin,
-> Then the process hangs up at around 66% and start working with no end in sight...

I must precise that the Plugin is set to update when the book is already on the device and that I cannot kill the job as Calibre says it cannot kill a process that is communicating with the device...
I can disconnect Marvin with no apparent issues...
I can "kill"/quit Calibre even though it tells me that the job is still on-going...

If I try removing the book from the iPad via using the plugin, the process also hangs at around 60% and starts running forever...
If I disconnect Marvin (No issues there...), I can see that the book is deleted from Marvin but that Calibre is still running with no end in sight...
If I "kill"/quit Calibre and reopen it I can then send the book back to Marvin...

Thus, my analysis is that something blocks the plugin from seeing that the job has been completed. I don't know what the problem might be...

And I hope that I am not too much
@Gurvan:
Please refer to this thread in the Calibre forum dedicated to the iOS reader applications plugin.

Follow the directions to create a debug log in the Calibre crashes when I use this plugin section.

Create an issue at the plugin's issue tracker, adding the contents of your debug log.

G
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1627
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Ok, I'll do that later on... Thank you !
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #1628
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Thanks

Thanks @kguil for a very fine reader. I´ve purchased the themes pack as a way of helping your further work. Looking forward to future updates and the universal version.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #1629
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Please forgive me if this has been covered. I have searched this thread, the Marvin blog, etc.

I installed marvin on my iPad 3 yesterday. I was so excited that I could edit metadata from the app. This would be very convenient for me. To test this out I copied an ePub book (edited in Sigil) to Marvin using iTunes. I edited the book's metadata using Marvin hoping that when I next synced my iPad to iTunes the metadata would be updated. It was not.

Is there a way to sync metadata I edited in Marvin to iTunes, dropbox, Calibre, etc.?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1630
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeRochelle View Post
Please forgive me if this has been covered. I have searched this thread, the Marvin blog, etc.

I installed marvin on my iPad 3 yesterday. I was so excited that I could edit metadata from the app. This would be very convenient for me. To test this out I copied an ePub book (edited in Sigil) to Marvin using iTunes. I edited the book's metadata using Marvin hoping that when I next synced my iPad to iTunes the metadata would be updated. It was not.

Is there a way to sync metadata I edited in Marvin to iTunes, dropbox, Calibre, etc.?
Metadata syncing is one-way, from calibre to Marvin. Review the help file in the Marvin Options section of the configuration dialog for a more information about managing Marvin metadata with calibre.

G
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #1631
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Thank you for the fast reply.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #1632
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I am confused now. I have a bunch of books that were put on Marvin earlier. I have highlights/ annotates/ bookmarks on them.

Now, I realized some of my library & books are inaccurate and need a fresh cleanse with metadata.

How do I export and save the H/ A/ B so that I can reimport and MAP them to books?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@crashnburn:
If you see a green checkmark in the 'On Device' column, you can safely update metadata on that book without losing any assets.

For clarification, see the Help file in the Marvin Options tab of the configuration dialog.

G
That might work in some cases. What if:
- There is an ePub that I embed Cover into. The ePub has changed.
- I need to "clean up all the books" on Marvin and redo a fresh export. How can I go about SAVING and RESTORING the Highlights/ annotations to the books?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1633
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Just a quick thank you

(Sorry for the duplicate post--first one was delayed and I thought it was lost in the ether )

I just started using Marvin, and I want to thank kguil for a very fine reader and reading experience. I bought the themes pack to help a bit with development costs. Can´t wait to see the universal version!

Last edited by fireland; 07-02-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #1634
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@crashnburn: before deleting a book from your library, locate it in the library, swipe it to the left and tap share. From the menu, choose "export annotations". This will let you email an .mrv file to yourself that contains all the highlights, notes, bookmarks and vocabulary for the book. When you delete the book and install the fresh copy, you can email the mrv file back to yourself and open it in Marvin to import the bookmarks for that book.

As you say, the book changed so the only way that Marvin can correctly guess that the mrv file belongs to the new copy of the book is by doing a Title+Author match (technically, Marvin uses some other criteria but unless you substantially changed the structure of the book it won't make a difference). If you also changed the Title+Author in the new copy of the book, Marvin cannot determine that the mrv file belongs to that book and will not import the mrv file.

@fireland: Many thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #1635
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Hi Kris
The latest version of Marvin fixes the problem with the layout that could not be overridden (in the sample book I sent). You can now resize the text. Phew. Thanks for fixing that.
Closed Thread