Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
doctorfrog
doctorfrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
Upgrading from a Kindle Keyboard, looking at Kobo

I have to say that I'm really tempted by the Kobo Mini, but really, my Kindle Keyboard is starting to annoy me. The keyboard is too slow to keep up with my typing, it's impossible to search only through book titles, and the "Collections" system is really laborious and inadequate, and requires the Kindle to be linked to an Amazon account to function, which I'd rather not be forced to do.

Right now I'm eyeballing the Kobo Mini or Touch, but I'm open to alternatives, even another Kindle if it's a good choice. But I have a few concerns specific to Kobo first:

KOBO MINI AND TOUCH QUESTIONS:
- How does the Kobo dictionary compare to the Kindle's two very good dictionaries? (It has its own dictionary, doesn't it? It doesn't do some horrible online dictionary thing?) I have a decent vocabulary, but being able to look up words instantly, and learn their etymology and history is extremely useful.
- All my ebooks are in MOBI or AZW format. How well does Calibre convert MOBI/AZW to EPUB (formatting errors, etc.)? (I have, to the best of my knowledge, legally bought or obtained all my ebooks.)
- Is it possible to also have all my bookmarks and notes "go along for the ride" to Kobo, and stay linked to their respective books?
- Would the eInk Vizplex on the Mini be a visual downgrade from the Kindle Keyboard?
- Does the Kobo have better book sorting than the appallingly inadequate Kindle Keyboard?

As I've said, I'm open to any ereader that's around $100. Kobo is just what's caught my eye at the moment.

Here are my other requirements:

MUST HAVE:
- absolutely no advertising on it. None.
- at least as good a screen as a Kindle Keyboard, if not better
- support for taking notes and making bookmarks, and exporting them to something. I write on my books, I highlight things, it's what I do.
- slim and light form factor

DOESN'T NEED:
- a light-up screen
- LCD screen
- 3G
- apps
- games
- bluetooth
- video capability

REALLY NICE TO HAVE:
- a good privacy policy, or a viable (if unofficial) workaround to keep the device from transmitting my reading habits so that someone can monetize them. I don't really trust Amazon, given some of their past actions, and it does kinda bug me to have "someone reading over my shoulder." I realize that this may not be possible in an ereader, so this is only nice to have.
(reference: https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012)
- better zoom levels for PDFs than the Kindle Keyboard (choices now are "page fit," which is too far out, or 150%, which is too close)
- tilt sensor

LOW PRIORITY (unrealistic stuff and features I can take or leave):
- a better browser than the lousy one on the Kindle Keyboard, which doesn't even report itself as a mobile browser to web sites
- an overall faster processor or just faster performance than the Kindle Keyboard
- support for audio out so I can plug in earbuds and play ambient music while reading
- memory expansion
- no store connected to it, ie. the device is intended to be an ereader, rather than a storefront that happens to display ebooks
- audio capability
- built in speakers

I appreciate any input folks can give. Thanks for your time!
doctorfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know if Doesn't Need equates to Doesn't Want in the case of the light-up screen, but a Kindle Paperwhite seems like a good option even though you are looking at Kobos. I am speaking from my limited experience because my Paperwhite has been fantastic so far.

The price for the version without advertisements is $139.99, a bit above your price range. You do not need to be connected to your Amazon account to access the device. Even though you might've heard some complaints about the Paperwhite's screen, mine is fantastic and they seem to have fixed the blobs on the screen. The four LEDs at the bottom are visible, but only in very dark conditions. Highlighting things and taking notes is very easy, and all your bookmarks and notes are saved to a document called Clippings.

The thing I like most about the Paperwhite is definitely the slimness and form factor, which you listed as a high priority. It is light enough to easily hold in one hand and is very thin. With the USB side-loader, it is also very easy to take files and bookmarks off of the device. The keyboard is responsive, albeit a very slight delay. It should be more than sufficient for your note-taking needs.

Hope it helps,
Omega
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I suggest asking in the Kobo forums for more details about these readers...you'll get more answers from Kobo owners themselves rather than from owners of other devices touting theirs. I can't talk to the Glo which is being sold at Costco Canada for $127.99 with the Sleep Cover (usually $30) as a bonus but several threads in the Kobo forum give very detailed reviews about it.
I have a Mini: $80 in Canada.
- no ads
- very small and light (5" screen)
- several dictionaries available (select during set up)
- highlighting and notes available, I don't export so don't know if they can be exported
- fonts can be added without rooting
- screen is very good (IMO), fonts are crisp and dark
- I don't think a 5" screen is going to work with your pdf wish...pdfs are already not all that great to read on a 6" screen...
- you do need to register your device with a Kobo account in order to set it up but you can do that with a "dummy" account and never buy books or sync to Kobo after that
- shelves (collections)
- works very well with Calibre
- performance is fast
- no audio anything...
- no memory expansion
- can't change screen orientation
- touch screen (infrared)
- wifi
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Lotek
Banned
Lotek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
- you do need to register your device with a Kobo account in order to set it up but you can do that with a "dummy" account and never buy books or sync to Kobo after that
*sigh*
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
All I can add here is that Calibre changes mobi ebooks to epub easily and in my experience, all formatting is preserved. You will have to use the plugins to remove the DRM which I think will involve you re-adding all the books to Calibre unless you've been doing this as you go. (I am not sure of this though, it's just my experience. There might be a faster way.)
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
doctorfrog
doctorfrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
Thanks for the replies so far! Special thanks to Cdesja5 for the personal experience and detailed report.

I'm leaning toward the Kobo Mini, in spite of being forced to register with a 3rd party system. I will probably de-register immediately afterward. The form factor is just too appealing, I'm willing to risk it.
doctorfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest reading the Kobo forum first. Good though the Kobo's hardware is, its firmware is "a work in progress", and many users don't seem to be at all happy with it. Judging from reports, it's the least stable of the devices from the major manufacturers (although I've no personal experience of it myself).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote