Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
SonyReaderT1
SonyReaderT1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Update rupor's AMR

@rupor: I saw that you posted some updates of the AMR since I installed your root package. I have 2 questions:
  • Is it save to install the your new root package (e.g. 20120513) just over any of the old versions? I have the 20120422 version installed.
  • From the Google translation I am not sure whether I understand the "Autocollection" feature.
    Does the feature mean, that for every subfolder in "/mnt/sdcard/Books" a collection with the corresponding name of the folder will be created?

Thanks and best regards,
Joerg
SonyReaderT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
1. Yes - you could install on top of 20120422. Not any - but this one is OK.

2. Collections will be created for any directory (they do not have to be in special place). If book is at the root of internal memory or SD card - it will be placed in "No collection" collection . Books in "Sony_reader/media/books" in both locations are just handled slightly differently when collection names are derived - for any sub-directory of "Sony_reader/media/books" - "Sony_reader/media/books" will be replaced with ".../" to shorten the name.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
SonyReaderT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Collections will be created for any directory (they do not have to be in special place). If book is at the root of internal memory or SD card - it will be placed in "No collection" collection . Books in "Sony_reader/media/books" in both locations are just handled slightly differently when collection names are derived - for any sub-directory of "Sony_reader/media/books" - "Sony_reader/media/books" will be replaced with ".../" to shorten the name.
I am managing my books with Calibre and Calibre creates for every single author a directory in "/Sony_Reader/media/books". Does that mean that for every author (i.e. directory) a collection will be automatically created? I have 100+ authors, which would mean that 100+ collections would be created? That would, at least in my case render collections useless ...

If this is the case, is there any way to disable the creation of autocollections?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Auto-collections do not touch database, they are pseudo-collections created on the fly, the same way as purchased content or unread books are - you do not have to disable anything, there is no penalty on the system whatsoever. Simply do not use them - that's all.

Or stop using Calibre Or reconfigure Calibre to your liking. Or think of something else: I do not use Calibre, but software I am using also creates directory per author - and then some - like series. And I am using my auto-colections almost exclusively, by additionally grouping books (business, trash, e.t.c.). You see auto-callections still support searching and sorting...
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
SonyReaderT1

I tried to update (AMR 20120422 -> 20120513) but somehow I screwed it up. I deleted the EbookDownloader.apk from the package before updating, since I deleted it anyway from the device but forgot to delete the corresponding line from the "checksums" file (the error was shown in the script.log, i.e. the update actually started). I corrected the error, i.e. deleted the line from te "checksums" file, but now the update won't start any more. It hangs forever in "Opening books ..." and I have to reset the device after a while. After the reset the reader has still the old AMR version installed and no script.log is generated. I also tried it with EbookDownloader.apk, but the behaviour is the same.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks and best regards,
Joerg
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle

Nope - I am afraid you will have to restore and start all over again
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
_Sascha_
_Sascha_ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
This question I've asked myself, some time ago. Good to know.

In the case of a complete restore, which folders are recommed to backup before restore? I mean the stuff like App.- and Bookdata, but i'm new in and with Android.

In this case i love your firmware, because the third white page is a very clean and innovative solution for a rooted T1 Device. (no overloading with unnecessary SystemApps and Android-Features)

Thanks for your good work!
_Sascha_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
In case someone else stumbles upon question 2:

there are TWO new collections in the main collection menu and those two each contain multiple "subcollections" for all the folders. I guess SonyReaderT1 was afraid that the main list would be completely filled with automatic collections (at least i was after reading this thread)
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
SonyReaderT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
In case someone else stumbles upon question 2:

there are TWO new collections in the main collection menu and those two each contain multiple "subcollections" for all the folders. I guess SonyReaderT1 was afraid that the main list would be completely filled with automatic collections (at least i was after reading this thread)
Your guess is correct.

However I updated anyway and found out that only 2 collections are created. Although I think the automatic collections as implemented by rupor are a good idea, I do not use them, since I have all my books and collections managed by Calibre on the internal SD and all my technical docs (literally thousands of PDFs) maintained by me in folders on the external SD card. And since I discovered in rupors documentation the ".nomedia" file feature, which I put in my top folder on the external SD card, I disabled scanning of my PDFs, which also means (unfortunately) that they won't show up in the automatic collections any more.

Without rupors AMR the reader would be completely useless for me, due to the huge amount of PDF documents on the device. I have to organize these PDFs in folders, which the original firmware does not provide. I actually only bought the device because of AMR, otherwise I would have bought the Boox M92.

Regards,
Joerg

Last edited by SonyReaderT1; 06-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
I love the AutoCollections! But I'd like to just have them as collections and not as sub-collections of "SD Card". I never use the internal memory, so there's no chance of clashing names.

Also, I'd like to remove the "../" before the name of the collections (I keep the books inside of SonyReader/media/books because I want to sync the whole directory with DropBox without syncing the database.)

Is the source somewhere? Maybe I can just do these changes myself.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
@rupor

I installed the latest AMR for the latest firmware. Everything is working as it should except for one detail. I have an ebook in polytonic greek with embedded fonts. Since the update it is no longer displaying properly.

The file can be downloaded from this link.

I tried referencing an external font I put in the /epub/fonts folder but it didn't work.

Any help appreciated.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
rupor
meat popsicle

If you would like this book to be shown exactly as before - simply rename or delete userStyle.css from epub directory. Otherwise you have to play with both - stylesheet1.css inside the book and userStyle.css in internal memory to get the result you want. Keep in mind that both styles are superimposed on top of each other...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

OK thanks.

What are the advantages of using this stylesheet? I only noticed a modified look.What am I missing?

As a separate question, what does your modified dictionary flash package include?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
rupor
meat popsicle

Stylesheet could be used to set external fonts or modify margins or correct something (anything which is supported by Adobe RMSDK on your device - for full set of possibilities please look for css documentation) - without changing epub itself. There are people who are using it extensively. Its usage is not bulletproof however - due to the nature of epub format and flexibility of css and the fact that internal and external stylesheets are combined. There are places on this forum where various stylesheet usage details are discussed.

Dictionary package contains dictionaries from all devices available to us - everything Sony released (but Japanese) both T1 and T2. I think noticeable would be presence of EN-RU and RU-EN dictionaries. There are 14 of them overall.

Last edited by rupor; 02-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
entodoays
Zealot

Another question: Why did you remove the ebookdownloader app? Now it is not possible to download other files except pdf or epub. Is it safe to install the app from the previous flash packages?

And finally I noticed that in the Android Settings app, there is a heading "Device administration" with the possibility of adding and removing admins. What is this about? Is it a way to increase the security of the unit? Also is it possible to get SU ask for a password (a bit like Linux) whenever superuser privileges are requested?