Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
AfterGlow2 Availability?

I got an AG2 about 10 weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, I accidentally sat on it a couple of nights ago and now it's dead.

I'm looking for a replacement, but amazon.co.uk shows it as "unavailable and unknown" and onyx-boox.com shows "unavailable".

I've tried emailing the contact address at onyx-boox but I have not heard back from them. Does anyone know of any vendors for the AG2, or when it should be back in stock?

Thanks!
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
You may try almost the same device from Banggood (no google play though) which seems to be cheaper and in stock. In case of AG2 it seems to be out of stock everywhere most likely indicating upcoming EoL of the device. Well... there are many shops still selling it locally in Poland but this does not help you at all unless you have some good friend there.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
It's also out of stock at amazon.com and onyx-boox.com (EU site).

Actually, given that Boyue has just come out with a Carta replacement (T62+) for their Pearl T62, bulek's suggestion that the AG2 might be EoL makes a reasonable amount of sense. I was just thinking that Onyx needs to (finally) introduce their Carta D67 (perhaps as an 'AG3') if they want to keep up.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
I was just thinking that Onyx needs to (finally) introduce their Carta D67 (perhaps as an 'AG3') if they want to keep up.
Thanks for the info - I didn't know about the D67. I finally heard from a rep at Onyx, and he said they expect to be back in stock in the latter part of April.

I googled around a bit and found some older posts on MR, but does anyone have any recent info about a release date for the D67?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I googled around a bit and found some older posts on MR, but does anyone have any recent info about a release date for the D67?
No. It has been up, with spec sheet, on Onyx's Alibaba listings (B2B, for sales of 2000+ units) for some months now. But then again, the spec sheet for their i86 has been up for more than a year without an official release. My point was more 'should' than 'will'. They need to do this, or something similar, if they want to stay competitive. Whether they will or not is anybody's guess.
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Whether they will or not is anybody's guess.
Thanks for the clarification. I wish it wasn't so hard to get a rootable android ereader with a halfway decent chip and a good screen
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I wish it wasn't so hard to get a rootable android ereader with a halfway decent chip and a good screen
If those are your main requirements, you may wish to look at the new (Carta screen) Boyue T62+.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:19 AM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
A Carta version of the C67ML (making it effectively the D67 by another name) is now listed on onyx-boox.ru and according to www.banggood.com will also be available from the latter site next week.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

So... Carta and twice bigger flash. No other changes... I doubt it's worth to upgrade.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulek View Post
So... Carta and twice bigger flash. No other changes... I doubt it's worth to upgrade.

Carta screens will give you better contrast (darker fonts) and better contrast.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Not worth upgrading for I agree (I've seen Carta's contrast described as 14:1 compared to Pearl's 12:1), but at least brings the C67/AG2 into line with Boyue's T62+ on the screen front. And if you're having to upgrade anyway, it's one less reason to look elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
bulek
Enthusiast

No doubt when buying a new device that's a good choice. The only downside of this news is that likelihood of AG2 soft updates drops even more now. The latest international soft contains promising bug fix "Solve the problem of large power consumption during standby and idle". ArtaTech however (from what I understand on the other forum) is simply ignored when they ask Onyx Int for a new version they could customize and publish as an official one for AG2. That does not sound optimistic.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:06 AM   #13
bulek
Enthusiast

ArtaTech started selling kind of successor of AG2 in Poland but it's not from D67 line. It's called inkBook and has Carta display. You may google translate the following page with specs: http://onyx-ereader.pl/pl/specyfikacja-inkbook-onyx . I'm not sure if they are going to sell it over Amazon as in case of AG2. The price is very similar in case of both models.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
ArtaTech started selling kind of successor of AG2 in Poland but it's not from D67 line. It's called inkBook and has Carta display. You may google translate the following page with specs: http://onyx-ereader.pl/pl/specyfikacja-inkbook-onyx . I'm not sure if they are going to sell it over Amazon as in case of AG2. The price is very similar in case of both models.
No picture of it, so no way of telling if it's the same hardware as the C67ML-Carta, just with a different name (and apparently a blue chassis), similar to how the original C67ML hardware got renamed the AG2 in some markets.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
bulek
Enthusiast

It looks more like Bouye T62+: http://forum.eksiazki.org/post118631.html#p118631 . Definitelly not a direct AG2 successor. I am not sure why they still market it as Onyx.