Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #241
sarasa1
Enthusiast
sarasa1 began at the beginning.

Device: KT and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
1). Magic kobo reader is on ipad. Go to your library and in the lower right side you will see a wrench. Click on it then shake your ipad and turn it upside down. That should give you the magic kobo reader. It's similar to a magic eight ball. That should give you the magic kobo reader award.

2)The Haunted Bookstore is a novel by Christopher Morley....sorry if I caused some confusion.....

3) I went thru the pages provided on the preview of Dead Reckoning. There is actually no preview since it blocks the book out before the story begins. I think this is how I gotbthe Dead Reckoning Award, but I am not sure. I was going thru my awards and saw that the Dead Reckoning Award was there. I did buy the full edition of Pretty Little Liars. The preview hooked me!

4). I am in the US...and I have the kobo app downloaded on my ipad.
Thank you for answering all my questions.. i did what you did with the dead reckoning preview (no chapters).. but it hasn't done anything.. ah well.. i'll try again, or maybe buy the book and see.. they're meant to be quite good (though i've not seen True Blood, so i can't honestly say i know anything about it!)

And thanks for the tip about the magic kobo award.. now if only i had an ipad to try it on! lol.
sarasa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #242
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Fangtasia popped up on my ipad when I finished Pretty Little Liars.
see, that's strange.. i thought it was a sookie stackhouse award.. but i've not read pretty little liars, nor had i downloaded the dead reckoning preview when it just turned up on my awards list.. very strange.. and the blurb doesn't tell you anything about it, so i have no idea where it came from!
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #243
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Quote:
My bad....I onlynhave 40% on the Austen award. I read Sense and Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, and Emma. I didn't get credit for Emma....
maybe try a different version of emma? all the ones i got were free and on the free kobo books tab online. also, when you get all five, you'll get the fanatic award (if you haven't got it already)...

PS- thanks for the tip about millionth award.. that's an incentive to keep reading! though i've a long way to go yet!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #244
foxfire
Enthusiast
foxfire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasa1 View Post
maybe try a different version of emma? all the ones i got were free and on the free kobo books tab online. also, when you get all five, you'll get the fanatic award (if you haven't got it already)...

PS- thanks for the tip about millionth award.. that's an incentive to keep reading! though i've a long way to go yet!
I am sure the Emma I read was the correct one. It was the free one. I really don't want to purchase a book I can get for free, esp. since I already read it......I'll just wait and see. The awards seem to act a little weird at times.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #245
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasa1 View Post

Pretty sure you might not get the millionth award. I have a feeling it was only awarded between a specific date range, round about when we had handed out 1 million awards.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #246
foxfire
Enthusiast

My Lost in Austen finally reads 60%. I don't know what the delay was. I am almost finished with Mansfield Park so tjat should gice me 80%.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #247
foxfire
Enthusiast

I am getting ready to dump my kobo app for my ipad. I keep losing all my books and have to reload. I emailed kobo and they said it was because I am shutting down my ipad while still in kobo but that isn't it. I log off kobo before shutting down. I justbwent to my kobo bookshelf. Everything was there...for about 5 seconds. Then everything disappeared again. This just isn't worth the trouble. I will use my kindle and nook and ibooks apps. They never let me down.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #248
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Foxfire; I seem to remember from other posts that logging OFF causes issues...

Try just closing the application without logging off Kobo.....

(The same happens with Desktop; if you logout ALL content is removed and has to be reloaded when you log back into Desktop).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #249
foxfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Foxfire; I seem to remember from other posts that logging OFF causes issues...

Try just closing the application without logging off Kobo.....

(The same happens with Desktop; if you logout ALL content is removed and has to be reloaded when you log back into Desktop).
Difficult to log off when you are trying to open a book and kobo suddenly shuts down and everything is lost. I just spent over 2 hours trying to reload everythibg.....again. It downloaded 2books then everything disappeared again. I thought it might be my internet connection but I didn't lose my connection...it is just kobo that I lose. I am not shutting down while on kobo. Kobo is shutting down all by itself. One minute I am on kobo, the next, all my books are gone.....

So, logging off kobo or just shutting down without logging off is all moot. Kobo shuts me down.......

Last edited by foxfire; 02-28-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: want to add something
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #250
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You had said

Quote:
I log off kobo before shutting down.
which led me to believe you were logging off!

Sorry if my interpretation of what you said was incorrect.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #251
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Sorry to hear about that, Foxfire. There's a bug where books can be removed when refreshing your library with a spotty internet connection – it's been fixed, we're just waiting on the App Store review process to release the update. Hopefully it'll be available soon and will resolve your issue.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #252
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
I am getting ready to dump my kobo app for my ipad. I keep losing all my books and have to reload. I emailed kobo and they said it was because I am shutting down my ipad while still in kobo but that isn't it. I log off kobo before shutting down. I justbwent to my kobo bookshelf. Everything was there...for about 5 seconds. Then everything disappeared again. This just isn't worth the trouble. I will use my kindle and nook and ibooks apps. They never let me down.
Just to clarify, Are you are going to the Account / Settings option and selecting the "Sign Out" option?

If so then do NOT do this, you don't need to. If you suspend the application, or fully quit it then it will not be running, but you will be signed into your account.

If you are signing out of the app then it WILL remove all of your books. This is how the app is designed to work.

If the app is closing on it's own then it sounds as though it is crashing. Can you answer the following questions for me please:
1. What exact device are you using; eg; iPad1 Wifi
2. What exact iOS version are you using; eg; iOS 5.0.1
3. What exact version of the Kobo application are you using; eg; 5.3. You can find out the app version by running the Settings app, then scroll down to the Kobo item, tap on it, and you should see the first item displays the app version number.

The latest version of the app is 5.3, and if you are not running 5.3 then I would strongly suggest you upgrade to it.

From what you have said, if the app is crashing then it is probably corrupting the database we use, so that when you relaunch we remove the database as we discover it is corrupt. This results in all books being removed and your signed in status being removed, thus you have to sign back in and books have to download again.

Could you also tell me what book(s) you were opening when you saw this issue happen (title of book and author), and I'll try and reproduce the issue here. It is possible it might be an issue with a specific book causing the app to crash.

Last edited by Sharkus; 02-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #253
foxfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You had said

which led me to believe you were logging off!

Sorry if my interpretation of what you said was incorrect.
Sokay. Not peed off at you, just my kobo app. I had to reload again in the middle of reading a book yesterday.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #254
foxfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Pretty sure you might not get the millionth award. I have a feeling it was only awarded between a specific date range, round about when we had handed out 1 million awards.
Darn! I was told you got it for reading 1 million pages......oh well.....
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #255
foxfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Just to clarify, Are you are going to the Account / Settings option and selecting the "Sign Out" option?

If so then do NOT do this, you don't need to. If you suspend the application, or fully quit it then it will not be running, but you will be signed into your account.

If you are signing out of the app then it WILL remove all of your books. This is how the app is designed to work.

If the app is closing on it's own then it sounds as though it is crashing. Can you answer the following questions for me please:
1. What exact device are you using; eg; iPad1 Wifi
2. What exact iOS version are you using; eg; iOS 5.0.1
3. What exact version of the Kobo application are you using; eg; 5.3. You can find out the app version by running the Settings app, then scroll down to the Kobo item, tap on it, and you should see the first item displays the app version number.

The latest version of the app is 5.3, and if you are not running 5.3 then I would strongly suggest you upgrade to it.

From what you have said, if the app is crashing then it is probably corrupting the database we use, so that when you relaunch we remove the database as we discover it is corrupt. This results in all books being removed and your signed in status being removed, thus you have to sign back in and books have to download again.

Could you also tell me what book(s) you were opening when you saw this issue happen (title of book and author), and I'll try and reproduce the issue here. It is possible it might be an issue with a specific book causing the app to crash.
ipad2....latest kobo app available for ipad....I think I updated it once.

The last 2 books were Emma by Austen (the free version) and The Haunted Bookstore by Christopher Morley.

I am hoping itbhas settled down...at least for now....

Tags
awards, reading life, touch