Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
I use sleep all the time. But tested against complete shutdown too, and the battery indeed last longer (2 weeks vs 2 weeks plus 3 days)

I also found letting it sleep without using it also consumes battery, I once left mine 1 bar and not using it for 3 or four days and found the battery was drained when I was going to use it. Take note however, I have not yet tested this on complete shutdown.

So extra 3 days for my kind of usage is not that much of a difference I think, so I'll just sleep it all the time. If you are going for a 3 or more days without your reader I think it'll be better to shut it down.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Paul135
Paul135 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
What is still on your wish list?

I'm not aware of any fundamental difference, except the fact that the slide switch is dual-function.
This dual functionality is described on page 8 of the User Guide > Chapter 1 > Getting Started > [1] Power Switch.
The software option is mentioned, albeit briefly, on page 89 of the User Guide > Chapter 2 > Changing Settings > Device Shutdown.
BTW - There's a typo on page 97 (charg instead of charge).
As to wishes I find that a PDF book can be shown perfectly albeit often in very small print and the attempt to resize to M leads to distortions which make reading difficult especially if any pictures, graphics etc are involved.
I have tried landscape but then the page break does not happen on the same line i.e. page is not broken in half and I need to search for the end of the previous screen side.
Unfortunately most academic or non-fiction texts are in pdf and as yet I have not found a tool which converts cleanly to epub; I am using Calibre at present.
That said all the other formats (epub, txt, rtf, BBeB etc) work very well and in all I am very pleased with it. I have read more books in the past week then in the whole month before.

Paul
Paul135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lack View Post
...If you are going for a 3 or more days without your reader I think it'll be better to shut it down.
The User Guide says, "If you do not use the Reader for more than one day, power off the Reader completely. p8, p89."
User Guide > Chapter 1 > Power Saving Tips > Tips to save Power p16
I use mine several times a day, so I just let it sleep between use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul135 View Post
... attempt to resize to M leads to distortions which make reading difficult especially if any pictures, graphics etc are involved ...
Try using S > Zoom in > drag the page around, to read it in its entirety > use Lock when you're ready to turn the page > Unlock > drag the next page around, and so on.

If you are unsure where files are located, then you might find this helpful:

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #19
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
On a related note, I found it irritating when I would set it down for a few minutes and come back to see it was in standby mode. So I selected:
Settings -> System Management -> Power Management -> Off OK

Now it stays on forever or until I put it in standby, which I often do if I'm not going to read it for half a day or so.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #20
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
On a related note, I found it irritating when I would set it down for a few minutes and come back to see it was in standby mode. So I selected:
Settings -> System Management -> Power Management -> Off OK

Now it stays on forever or until I put it in standby, which I often do if I'm not going to read it for half a day or so.
I find that irritating too, but I doubt I'd remember to put it in standby mode. It's handy that it can be turned off, but would have been nicer had Sony made the timeout variable.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert