Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #1591
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Ok, roger that... But it seems that nowadays, synch via iTunes can happen EVEN if the screen if off... Would that be possible as an option ?

The reason, I'm asking is that I left my iPad for a few hours and the screen stayed on and I am afraid of "burning" said screen...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1592
CtB
CtB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Talking Restoring highlights/bookmarks

Kristian,
Again BRAVO for ongoing improvment in Marvin.

Maybe confused, a question: The annotation button works in Calibre. I export all bookmarks/highlights from Marvin and get a .mrv file. I then drag it into Greg's plug in. When I look at the metadata of the book in Calibre, the highlights are there [as "comments"].

However, if I open the book in Calibre [in the native e-book browser] or put in a DropBox and reimport into Marvin, all the bookmarks/highlights cannot be seen. In fact in Marvin, the bookmarks and highlights dialog boxes are blank (as if the bookmarks no longer exist and are lost).

I remember that there was early discussion that the .mrv (annotations) file would allow users to export/save their highlights/bookmarks, then re-import/restore them later or e-mail/send to friends to import into their copy of the Marvin book on their end.
Ideally, I would like my highlights/bookmarks to show up back "in" my Marvin book when I restore them, not be hidden in a comments file OR send them to a friend and he imports the .mrv file and has a complete pre-highlighted book with all highlights/bookmarks where I want them to be in his copy for him to skim the important parts of the book faster.

Am I not re-importing the .mrv file properly (through the Calibre plug in)? Do I need to do something different to restore the highlights back into the Marvin book so they are visible? How do I e-mail/share the .mrv file to another Marvin user so he can see the highlighted book just as I highlighted it (not in an invisible "comments" file)?

If there is an answer, This might be useful to add to the Marvin site blog on "annotations.

Thanks again,
Caleb

Last edited by CtB; 06-22-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1593
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Ok, roger that... But it seems that nowadays, synch via iTunes can happen EVEN if the screen if off... Would that be possible as an option ?

The reason, I'm asking is that I left my iPad for a few hours and the screen stayed on and I am afraid of "burning" said screen...
As long as there's active communication between calibre and Marvin, the screen will be on. If you switch away from Marvin, or shut off your iPad, communication will stop. This is so that your iPad doesn't go to sleep in the midst of a critical transfer of information.

G
Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1594
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Ok, thanks... I'll be more careful then...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #1595
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Gurvan - adding to GRiker's reply, you can't dim or turn off the screen without the whole devices sleeping. What you might want to do is either dismiss the calibre connector popup or tap the home button on your iPad
Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #1596
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtB View Post
I then drag it into Greg's plug in. When I look at the metadata of the book in Calibre, the highlights are there [as "comments"].
Exactly. The highlights and notes are "extra" metadata in calibre.

Quote:
However, if I open the book in Calibre [in the native e-book browser] or put in a DropBox and reimport into Marvin, all the bookmarks/highlights cannot be seen. In fact in Marvin, the bookmarks and highlights dialog boxes are blank (as if the bookmarks no longer exist and are lost).
Neither the plugin not Marvin ever modify the EPUB file (this is by design). To reimport your *.mrv files into a book in Marvin, send that mrv file to yourself by email, open it in Marvin and Marvin will add the highlights, notes and whatnot to the book. Note that *.mrvi files cannot be imported in Marvin. .mrvi is just for export (for now).

Quote:
Am I not re-importing the .mrv file properly (through the Calibre plug in)? Do I need to do something different to restore the highlights back into the Marvin book so they are visible? How do I e-mail/share the .mrv file to another Marvin user so he can see the highlighted book just as I highlighted it (not in an invisible "comments" file)?
Just send them as an attachment and "open in" Marvin (remember you can only do this for .mrv not .mrvi).

Quote:
If there is an answer, This might be useful to add to the Marvin site blog on "annotations.
Yes. I made a note of this.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1597
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
As long as there's active communication between calibre and Marvin, the screen will be on. If you switch away from Marvin, or shut off your iPad, communication will stop. This is so that your iPad doesn't go to sleep in the midst of a critical transfer of information.

G
These days sleep mode allows background activity to continue so it would be possible to design it to work with the screen off if Marvin supported background activity. I do not know what background activity does to performance.

Dale
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #1598
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
These days sleep mode allows background activity to continue so it would be possible to design it to work with the screen off if Marvin supported background activity. I do not know what background activity does to performance.

Dale
It kills battery life. In iOS7, with this multitasking crock, one has to actively kill applications in order for the battery to survive longer than half a day.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #1599
kguil
Addict

@DaleDe - iOS 5 and 6 tend to abruptly kill background tasks, especially intensive ones such as importing books.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #1600
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@DaleDe - iOS 5 and 6 tend to abruptly kill background tasks, especially intensive ones such as importing books.
Perhaps so. I have used a gps reporting positions just fine in background mode but that is not intensive. I only started this with iOS 6 so I don't have any experience with iOS 5. Battery life is great.

Dale
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #1601
Gurvan
Groupie

The thing is that yesterday, I had to leave while my iPad was not finish with a task sent by Calibre. Thus, it kept doing what it had to do and then stayed on. It drained the battery (Even though it was hooked to the computer, the battery went down to around 70%) and gave me the fear, when I found it again a few hours later, that the screen would be marked if I was to do that too often.

That is why I was asking the question. You are telling that what I am asking for is not possible. Ok, fine, I'll take that into account for next time...

I don't have a problem with this issue as I am now aware of it... Issue is kind of closed for me !

Thank you again to all of you for the amount of work and thought that went into that plugin and its support...

Last edited by Gurvan; 06-23-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #1602
kguil
Addict

@DaleDe - Geolocation and VoIP tasks are the only (?) tasks that iOS allows to background properly.

You gave me an idea though - maybe a screensaver of sorts during long connected sessions. I'll put some thought into it.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #1603
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Malformed epub Error on Marvin

@Kris,

I have an epub book which is perfect when opened on Calibre. However, when I send the epub book to Marvin, I get an an error which says :

The following malformed book was not added to Marvin:
- "followed by the title of the book"

I have also tried sending it via OPDS server and still not successful. I can't see a fault on the epub book itself.

Could you please help me out ?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #1604
kguil
Addict

Sure. Can you send me an email about it?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1605
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Hi Kris,

Thanks for your reply. What's your email add ?
Closed Thread