Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
AZW files do not show on iPad

I have the latest operating system on my iPad and installed the latest Kindle for iPad app.

But only .mobi files are showing on my iPad. The .azw/azw3 files do not show at all. The books I have are DRM free.

It's actually not for me because I prefer my Kindle for reading. However, I am trying to help a friend get awz books on her iPad. If I can't do it then I have no hope of showing her what to do.

Confused.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Are you downloading them direct from Amazon?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. They are ebooks I have got from other sources and converted with Calibre to the AZW format. I have transferred some to the Kindle app on the iPad using iTunes and also tried transferring some to the iPad using iFunbox.

None of the transferred .azw or .azw3 files show on the ipad although the .mobi files do. iTunes and iFunbox both state that the files are there.

One book I specifically converted with Calibre for the iPad but that does not show either.

Last edited by Moonraker; 03-13-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

The solution is easy, Moonraker. Just convert those books in Calibre not into the AZW format, but into the MOBI format instead. I guarantee that works every time!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Moonraker
Addict

I thought that the Kindle for iPad app would read .azw files. If I have to convert them all I will. I was trying to save time.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Well, as I have just advised in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
But Kindle is a truly bad software to read books in on the iPhone or iPad.

A better idea is first to convert the MOBI book into EPUB, so that your friends can then enjoy the book in superb e-reader software like Marvin or Stanza.

Converting any book from MOBI to EPUB only takes a few seconds in Calibre. There are also free online converters, like this one: www.2epub.com
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
Well, as I have just advised in another thread:

Quote:
But Kindle is a truly bad software to read books in on the iPhone or iPad.
I've spent hours on this sideloading and discovered that .mobi is only accepted if its the old .mobi. So I have decided to convert all to ePub.

I am really surprised and feel it's a bit mean of Amazon to do this. Or perhaps it's mean of Apple. I can't find any way of purchasing books from Amazon using the iPad app.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I can't find any way of purchasing books from Amazon using the iPad app.
You can't, Apple charges a 30% cut on things bought through apps so the ability was removed. You have to buy using a web browser instead.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I've spent hours on this sideloading and discovered that .mobi is only accepted if its the old .mobi. So I have decided to convert all to ePub.

I am really surprised and feel it's a bit mean of Amazon to do this. Or perhaps it's mean of Apple. I can't find any way of purchasing books from Amazon using the iPad app.
There is no difference between a non-DRM AZW and a MOBI. If Amazon refuses to accept your AZW just change the extension on the file to .mobi and it should find it just fine. No conversion necessary.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can't, Apple charges a 30% cut on things bought through apps so the ability was removed. You have to buy using a web browser instead.
<pedant>
You never could buy through the app, you always bought through a web browser.
What was removed was a button to open the browser to the Kindle store for you.
</pedant>
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

And I might add that it doesn't matter on which device the browser is located. You can purchase books from Amazon on any device then have them delivered wirelessly (Whispersynced) to any other device that supports the Kindle app. Good luck doing that with Marvin or any other 3rd party ePub reading app! And good luck getting Marvin to run on anything other than an iPad!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Talking

Haha, what a thing to say, Jack. So Kindle imposes huge restrictions on readers so they need to use excruciating workarounds like WhisperSync, and that's supposed to be Kindle's advantage? Not to mention hassling Kindle users -- by classifying their non-bought books as "documents". Not to mention the utterly bad reading experience in Kindle, due to extremely limited functionality of the app.

In contrast, Marvin allows you to download any book directly, period. Also, don't compare an app born in December 2012 with Kindle that has been around for years. I'm sure you're aware Marvin for iPhone is already in the works, and will include iCloud syncing, and when Marvin for Android arrives, multi-platform syncing via Dropbox will also be possible.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
TomB3R
TomB3R began at the beginning.

Device: TomF3
Smile An app to manage files on iPad

Personally, to manage my files on iPad, I use the app Beesy. It's very useful for import/export files/PDF, make annotation, share it and keep it on Dropbox.
TomB3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is no difference between a non-DRM AZW and a MOBI. If Amazon refuses to accept your AZW just change the extension on the file to .mobi and it should find it just fine. No conversion necessary.
Revisiting this thread after over a year, I just wanted to point out that the above procedure does not work. Maybe it used to, but it doesn't today. If I simply change a non-DRM AZW3 file's extension to MOBI and try to load it in Kindle for iOS that way, the Kindle app will still refuse to open it. Really the only way I have found is truly to convert the AZW or AZW3 to MOBI (for example in Calibre), and load it in Kindle for iPad or iPhone that way. (Or, of course, using Amazon's own conversion utilities, such as sending the AZW file to your dedicated Amazon Kindle email address for conversion.)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Revisiting this thread after over a year, I just wanted to point out that the above procedure does not work. Maybe it used to, but it doesn't today. If I simply change a non-DRM AZW3 file's extension to MOBI and try to load it in Kindle for iOS that way, the Kindle app will still refuse to open it. Really the only way I have found is truly to convert the AZW or AZW3 to MOBI (for example in Calibre), and load it in Kindle for iPad or iPhone that way. (Or, of course, using Amazon's own conversion utilities, such as sending the AZW file to your dedicated Amazon Kindle email address for conversion.)
No, the previous posts were talking specifically about Mobi files, not KF8. KF8 doesn't work. Depending what app or device you get them from, A KF8 file may have either a ".AWZ" or a ".AZW3" extension.

Renaming a Mobi file works; renaming a KF8 file doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote