Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
loltun
Jedi Book Worm
loltun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, RCA REB-1100, Augen The Book
unbrick K4 with frozen screen

I have a K4 bricked with a frozen screen.
This picture shows about how far I have gotten.
I have successfully loaded Kindle Fastboot with MfgTool and I have HID complaint device int Device Manager.
Looking at the guide here http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xrn3v3ln6cn2n75
It looks like I should next update the device driver to Kindle-Fastboot.inf but when I try to do that windows xp says that it does not contain information about my hardware.
I don't know where to go from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	98336  
loltun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
32-bit or 64-bit xp?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

32 bit

I also see that the guy that made the guide was repairing a kindle fire.
So I guess that explains it.
I guess I'll have to find a Kindle-Fastboot.inf driver for the K4

Last edited by loltun; 12-28-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltun View Post
32 bit

I also see that the guy that made the guide was repairing a kindle fire.
So I guess that explains it.
I guess I'll have to find a Kindle-Fastboot.inf driver for the K4
No - not a kindle fire.
"The guy" is a member here.
The original, at its most recent version, is noted in the de-bricking sticky and has a thread of its own here.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

Yes, I know this guy is a member here. That's how I found the link to the guide.
And I am sorry that I typed the word fire.
I meant to say "touch" instead of "fire" but I made a mistake.

I am still having this problem.
Can anyone please help?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

I made a little more progress but when i try to "fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img" I just get < waiting for device >
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	98411  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I made a little more progress but when i try to "fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img" I just get < waiting for device >
Hmm... judging from what your screenshot shows, it should indeed work.

Sorry for not being able to provide anything more helpful, but you might consider using Linux instead. Any current "Live CD" (32 bits, to be on the safe side) should do - no need to install it. You can simply run it from a CD or a USB stick. Linux is much less picky about all these driver issues than Windows is. Downloading and executing fastboot should be pretty much all that is required.

PS: Which reminds me - is there any progress on the "debrick distro" front?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Might be another case of a battery too discharged.

Put it on a charger (not in fastboot or diags mode - it doesn't charge in those modes).
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Might be another case of a battery too discharged.

Put it on a charger (not in fastboot or diags mode - it doesn't charge in those modes).
Actually, if you monitor the serial port status messages while connected in fastboot mode, you will see that it charges quickly in fastboot mode (with periodic status messages showing battery voltage).

Diags mode on the other hand is notorious for discharging the battery to unhealthy levels that can be difficult to recharge, perhaps making it appear to be bricked.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, if you monitor the serial port status messages while connected in fastboot mode, you will see that it charges quickly in fastboot mode (with periodic status messages showing battery voltage).

Diags mode on the other hand is notorious for discharging the battery to unhealthy levels that can be difficult to recharge, perhaps making it appear to be bricked.
thanks for the correction.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Is that an elevated cmd?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

Quote:
I installed ubuntu in vmware on my windows 7 machine and I still get < waiting for device > error when i try to fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
I don't know anything about linux
How do i make sure that the kindle is connected properly in ubuntu?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	u.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	98513  

Last edited by loltun; 12-30-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

I also just tried it using XP in vmware on my windows 7 machine and I still get < waiting for device > error
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Did you pass the USB port through to the VM? Remember that the kindle fastboot mode will terminate if the USB port gets disconnected or reset. In VirtualBox, I was able to pass a fastboot kindle back and forth between a host PC and a VM without it dropping out, but your emulator may be different...

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

I passed it through but no idea if it reset.
How can you check it in ubuntu?