Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
<<Is it not already illegal to strip DRM in the US? Do you think it has affected the amount of ebooks sold? >>

As people discover that it is easier to remove DRM from epub than Kindle, I think you will find as more people become savvy, they will buy epub. It will be hard to determine though - the market for Kindles will change because Walmart and Target are no longer selling them.

As far as illegal vs. legal downloads, I have to tend to agree with the poster who thinks more will illegally download since doing EITHER ONE would be illegal. If the cops seized your computer or iphone due to an unrelated crime, could they then charge you when they discover all your DRM removed files?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
<<Is it not already illegal to strip DRM in the US? Do you think it has affected the amount of ebooks sold? >>

As people discover that it is easier to remove DRM from epub than Kindle, I think you will find as more people become savvy, they will buy epub. It will be hard to determine though - the market for Kindles will change because Walmart and Target are no longer selling them.
Stripping DRM from Kindle books is just as easy as Epub, using the plug ins for Calibre. Exact same steps, exact same amount of time.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Stripping DRM from Kindle books is just as easy as Epub, using the plug ins for Calibre. Exact same steps, exact same amount of time.
I find the ePubs easier simply because when using ADE, the filename is the book title instead of some numerical garble. So Kobo and BOB get my money.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I find the ePubs easier simply because when using ADE, the filename is the book title instead of some numerical garble. So Kobo and BOB get my money.
My Amazon books never come into Calibre as numerical garble - they usually come as straight text. The biggest problem I have (and this isn't unique to Amazon) is having the author's first and last names reversed.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My Amazon books never come into Calibre as numerical garble - they usually come as straight text. The biggest problem I have (and this isn't unique to Amazon) is having the author's first and last names reversed.
Oh, the title is fine in Calibre. It is the filename that I am looking for when adding the book to Calibre. And the author name is reverse for me too. When the book price is the same, these little details contribute to the where-to-buy decision.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, the title is fine in Calibre. It is the filename that I am looking for when adding the book to Calibre. And the author name is reverse for me too. When the book price is the same, these little details contribute to the where-to-buy decision.
I try to keep up with changing the names in my Kindle file so I always know which one to put in Calibre. It's a pain, but worth it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I agree with this, but I still prefer that my B&N books download with recognizeable file names as opposed to the gibberish file names my Amazon downloads have. Also, changes to Amazon's desktop app can require updated plug-ins. Not a problem so far, but annoying.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I agree with this, but I still prefer that my B&N books download with recognizeable file names as opposed to the gibberish file names my Amazon downloads have. Also, changes to Amazon's desktop app can require updated plug-ins. Not a problem so far, but annoying.
I agree. More work than it needs to be. Hopefully they won't force me to update K4PC again any time soon.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I doubt this would affect buying habits in the short term anyway. Hard to track as many Canadians buy from the States. Amazon.ca does not even sell ebooks that I am aware of and there are a lot of Canadian kindle owners out there.

And I would be more than a little surprised if the RCMP got of their behinds and made even a token effort in this regard.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I try to keep up with changing the names in my Kindle file so I always know which one to put in Calibre. It's a pain, but worth it.
Same for me. I sometimes have to rename half a dozen new purchases before they are copied into Calibre.

I have been stung before with loss of access to purchased ebooks. Never again.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't usually multiquote different issues, but both of these evoked the same "HUH?" reaction from me, so I feel they should go together

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I doubt this would affect buying habits in the short term anyway. Hard to track as many Canadians buy from the States. Amazon.ca does not even sell ebooks that I am aware of and there are a lot of Canadian kindle owners out there.
Helen
Why does buying from the states effect anything? How would buying from a .ca versus a .com website affect how traceable it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Same for me. I sometimes have to rename half a dozen new purchases before they are copied into Calibre.
Why on earth would you bother? Just dump the gibberish files into Calibre. They immediately show up with all the proper metadata, and you normally never need to touch or see the filename at all. If you do ever need to export the file from Calibre, it's going to be automatically renamed with the metadata you've chosen anyway. IOW, Calibre is an automatic file renaming tool, as well.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't suppose I'll ever live in Canada so I should not be concerned by this evil law ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Why does buying from the states effect anything? How would buying from a .ca versus a .com website affect how traceable it is?
ApK

Amazon.com is the American site. I doubt that they would provide any statistics tracking a change in the buying habits of Canadians. Perhaps you know different.

I also doubt credit card companies wil be providing these statistics either although I am sure that they could.

Canada is a pretty small country population wise so in a sense should be easier to track ebook purchases. I am not convinced that it is though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I just look at the file date.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The difference is that while they might legally both be considered wrong, most people would consider the first not to be morally wrong. People's actions are driven by morality as well as legality.
As a Canadian, I hate the new law, but I have to agree with you. They're not the same thing.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote