Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Gfinch
Junky
Gfinch is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 and REB-1100
I took the plunge

Well I finally did it. After wringing my hands and debating between the Sony and the Kindle, I made my decision and joined the Sony camp. My new precious is currently charging and I am waiting to start to work transferring books and I guess I will flash the new firmware also. I will probably be here searching for help on Calibre in a few hours.

By the way for anyone interested and has a Sony Style store close by, they had it on sale thru tomorrow the 4th for $269.

Thanks to all you fine folks here at Mobilread for all the great info and advice that helped me make a informed decision.

Well gotta go the chargeing light just went out.
Gfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey Gfinch, welcome to the Sony club. Be sure and let us know how you like it.

I got mine back in January and the wait for it to charge up seemed like a year. I couldn't wait to start using it. And I like it as much now as I did the day I got it. In fact, if it wasn't for this damned forum, I'd be reading books on it all the time!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hey Gfinch, welcome to the Sony club. Be sure and let us know how you like it.

I got mine back in January and the wait for it to charge up seemed like a year. I couldn't wait to start using it. And I like it as much now as I did the day I got it. In fact, if it wasn't for this damned forum, I'd be reading books on it all the time!
Uh.......I have to agree with you, Cassidym. I was reading WAY more before I joined here. Now I'm too busy downloading books and reading posts.....

And Gfinch, I hope you enjoy your Sony as much as I do my Kindle!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congrats on your new purchase! Since your's is brand spanking new, doesn't it already come with the new firmware? Or is the sale clearing out stock of models that haven't yet been upgraded?

BTW, this morning I shared a flight and a row with a man who had a Sony Reader (he noticed me reading my Kindle but his Sony was still in his briefcase). Unfortunately, just as we were starting to converse about the Sony and the Kindle, I realized I was in the wrong seat. Same row but too far away for us to chat. So I almost saw a Sony Reader in the wild!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Gfinch
Junky
Gfinch is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 and REB-1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Congrats on your new purchase! Since your's is brand spanking new, doesn't it already come with the new firmware? Or is the sale clearing out stock of models that haven't yet been upgraded?

BTW, this morning I shared a flight and a row with a man who had a Sony Reader (he noticed me reading my Kindle but his Sony was still in his briefcase). Unfortunately, just as we were starting to converse about the Sony and the Kindle, I realized I was in the wrong seat. Same row but too far away for us to chat. So I almost saw a Sony Reader in the wild!
From What I can tell it is not upgraded yet. Firmware Ver. 1.0.01.03170 so I guess they are still clearing out the back stock.

Busily Getting Calibre setup right now and then will flash the firmware and hook it up. After years of knowing everything there is to know about my REB1100 I know feel a little lost having to learn a new device and software all over again. But I am very excited about my new Sony.

Thanks everyone.
Gfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Congrats. I made that same decision a month or so ago, and I am so glad I chose the Sony Reader.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats on your new reader!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Welcome to the family. I bought my 505 on the recommendation of a good friend and I am so glad I went with it. With the use of Calibre and the Adobe DE now, I doubt I will be opening my Sony software again, unless I need to buy from the Sony store, which is a rarity.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Woohoo! More Sony fanboys. Congratulations and we hope you enjoy your Readers as much as the rest of us.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!