Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #61
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
The website owner is right: Just because you CAN design your own book cover doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The book cover matters a lot..... cover art is important.
I absolutely agree with what you say but, for me, the cover with the day-glow Annie Lennox clone would have put me right off - the one that would sell the book to me is the tabby tail.

Just goes to show how random it all is!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #62
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Check out the cover over in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192842 . Is it just me or does that cover belong firmly in this thread?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #63
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Eh, maybe I am not picking enough but I do not think its bad. I would pick that book up in a store and read the back of it, and that makes good enough, IMO.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #64
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
We have quite a number of Agatha Christie books here in paper back (old now and well worn now) - and a few of those have ghastly covers that really do put me off while reading them, I tend to always put them face-down when I leave them. I love the books, just can't stand the covers - if it was an unknown author they would never have been bought.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
The website owner is right: Just because you CAN design your own book cover doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The book cover matters a lot.

I can still remember my first Murakami book, the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I was browsing at the bookstore, and the cover caught my eye:

And so I flipped through it, read the first page, and immediately knew I had to buy it. But if the cover had been one below, then I probably wouldn't have noticed it:

It's not terrible, but it's not eye-catching. The ones with half-naked Asian women on the covers are the worst - I wonder who approved them as the book cover in the first place?

So yes, cover art is important.
I'd see the first cover and pass the book by without a second look. It's blindingly bad. The second has a cat tail and I'd also bypass it as it's boring and features a cat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #66
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
[Image deleted - MODERATOR]
The premise is intriguing, a planetary romance on Mars, but instead of a fighting man, he's a Quaker pacifist sent there. But the cover doesn't do the book any favors.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #67
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Not very practical clothing for Mars.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #68
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
We have quite a number of Agatha Christie books here in paper back (old now and well worn now) - and a few of those have ghastly covers that really do put me off while reading them, I tend to always put them face-down when I leave them. I love the books, just can't stand the covers - if it was an unknown author they would never have been bought.
I think we need a picture!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #69
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I think we need a picture!
You asked for it. I am attaching what I think is one of the worst ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac-acm.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	93619  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That is an astonishingly bad cover. The current cover's very jolly in comparison.

http://www.agathachristie.com/story-...bbean-mystery/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #71
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
HA! Almost looks like it was drawn by Stephen Gemmell, the guy who did the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark illustrations:

[Mod: Scary Illustration put in spolier tags]:
Spoiler:

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #72
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That is an astonishingly bad cover. The current cover's very jolly in comparison.

Much better. That one I'd be happy to leave laying anywhere around the house.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I actually like the Captain Kangaroo like head in the other cover. It gives it an air of PBS meets Jason feel to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #74
julid
julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A few of those aren't really that bad (note I said "a few"). Here's the sad part....I see a couple in this list that I know had "professional" cover artists. And one of those vaguely resembles an artist's style I've seen doing cover art for the Big Six. So the term lousy cover art might just be a matter of opinion. But yeah, I thought some of those are really bad, myself. *lol*
julid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #75
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Check out the cover over in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192842 . Is it just me or does that cover belong firmly in this thread?
I've seen worse but at the same time it is quite scary, the synopsis is all about a bloke and there's some rubber-clad cyber babe on the cover... hmm... Then again, the two paragraphs quoted on the thread appear to deliver exactly the kind of thing the cover promises...

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote