Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #226
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
The tech sites usually rate the Kindle higher as well for reading experience. I have compared my Kindle to my neighbours Kobo and the Kindle is sharper and page turns are faster.

But, everyone has their own experience so it doesn't really matter.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #227
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I just bought one from Bestbuy after agonizing over this and Kindle PW for the past few days.

I've never owned anything other than a sony reader: I've had 500,550,650, and T1 and after the underwhelming T2, looked to look some place else.

I've been using it for the past 4 hours and everything looks really good.

I was afraid of all the software complaints but everything seems smooth and the light is awesome. There are some shadows where the LED is located but still it is pretty amazing.

The page-turns seem to be about 30% faster than my T1 and I really like tap to turn instead of swipe turn. I don't really miss the page turn buttons.

One question though, How do I use Calibre to manage collections? Does anyone know?
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #228
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You need calibre 0.9.1; look for a post over in the calibre / devices forum where davidfor introduces the new driver features.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #229
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
But those aren't displayed when your reading, only if you center tap.
Does that mean the low power warning only shows up if you center tap?
If so it seems rather pointless, if I'm reading I almost never center tap...
oh, sorry, i couldn't tell you. I only have drained my battery once, and I happened to be doing something other than reading at the time (organising my library or something). I guess we'll find out when we've been using our Glos for a bit longer.
At least you know where to look for such a message when you're low on battery now
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #230
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have read 2 ePub books so far on my Glo. I had the following issue with both of them: the text doesn't fill the entire page for some of the pages, i.e. the last 1-3 lines are blank, making me think it was the end of the chapter but the text continued on the next page. Turning justification off didn't fix the problem. When I look at the same ePub in the Calibre viewer or on my Nook STR, the text fills the page. I have margins set to the second lowest notch on the slider, but changing margins to zero doesn't make much of a difference. Is there a setting that I need to adjust?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #231
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I have read 2 ePub books so far on my Glo. I had the following issue with both of them: the text doesn't fill the entire page for some of the pages, i.e. the last 1-3 lines are blank, making me think it was the end of the chapter but the text continued on the next page. Turning justification off didn't fix the problem. When I look at the same ePub in the Calibre viewer or on my Nook STR, the text fills the page. I have margins set to the second lowest notch on the slider, but changing margins to zero doesn't make much of a difference. Is there a setting that I need to adjust?
I remove margins on all sides, as I don't like hard margins - the reader can do that on its own.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #232
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I think this is a style issue with "widows". It was discussed yesterday in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post2251717.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #233
KSJA
KSJA began at the beginning.

Device: glo
A shame for this being my first post, but a quick question for the glo owners... I bought one a few days ago, that was impossible to get going due to the touch screen freezing, so I went back and exchanged it.

The second one seemed to be working fine, but after putting it to "sleep" and rewaking it a few hours later, instead of going back to my library, it decided that it needed to start the user setup all over again - Language, connect to PC, etc etc. And of course, all the books that I had loaded were gone completely. There unit had almost a complete charge, so it wasn't as if it ran out of battery. It did that twice more, and I returned it as well.

I'm on my third one in 4 days, and its doing the same thing as the second. Works fine for a few hours, put it down, and upon rewake, reboots to initial setup.

Is this thing just too buggy for prime time, or is there any tricks to make it work? I'm just about out of patience.
KSJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #234
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJA View Post
I'm on my third one in 4 days, and its doing the same thing as the second. Works fine for a few hours, put it down, and upon rewake, reboots to initial setup.

Is this thing just too buggy for prime time, or is there any tricks to make it work? I'm just about out of patience.
I'm thinking you've got a book it doesn't like when it's doing the same thing on 2 different Kobo's. Try a different book and see if that helps. Also what font are you using? I've had a problem with Kartika causing this in one particular book.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #235
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think this is a style issue with "widows". It was discussed yesterday in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post2251717.
Thanks! So I will have to do some processing of all ePubs to prevent this.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #236
KSJA
KSJA began at the beginning.

Device: glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'm thinking you've got a book it doesn't like when it's doing the same thing on 2 different Kobo's. Try a different book and see if that helps. Also what font are you using? I've had a problem with Kartika causing this in one particular book.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, different book to test each device. I hadn't considered the font, though, but I'm skeptical... still... worth a try.
KSJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #237
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormorse View Post
I guess I am not the only one then! It's not horrible, but once you notice it, you can't stop. Mines in the bottom right corner about a quarter of the way up the screen.

Let me know how you make out with the exchange, I may do that myself.
I just bought a glow, and have a bright pixel, too. Mine's near the lower right corner. I suspect it's actually a pinprick defect in the coating over the screen (whatever they've put on it to give it that papery feel), as with this sort of lighting there really aren't back-illuminated pixels. Going to take it in for an exchange.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #238
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
I've had my Glo for a day and love it. The light is amazing (although would be nice to be able to have it even dimmer, maybe via software update?) and the speed improvement over the touch is awesome. No bright pixels here (yet, knock on wood).
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #239
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I just bought a glow, and have a bright pixel, too. Mine's near the lower right corner. I suspect it's actually a pinprick defect in the coating over the screen (whatever they've put on it to give it that papery feel), as with this sort of lighting there really aren't back-illuminated pixels. Going to take it in for an exchange.
I have one right on the bottom edge. You can't really see it, thought I might get a worse one on swapping so keeping.
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #240
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Actually it gives a message at the top of the screen when the battery is getting low and will need charging in a bit...not sure how long that started before my died, but at least it gives some warning...
Quote:
Hmm, never saw that, maybe it was there and I never noticed it...
Quote:
wouldn't be surprised if you just missed it...it was in tiny writing...in the same place as "home" is written when on the home page, or where the time or % read is when reading a book....in the same font and size. didn't flash or anything either. definitely easy to miss.
Quote:
But those aren't displayed when your reading, only if you center tap.
Does that mean the low power warning only shows up if you center tap?
If so it seems rather pointless, if I'm reading I almost never center tap...
Quote:
oh, sorry, i couldn't tell you. I only have drained my battery once, and I happened to be doing something other than reading at the time (organising my library or something). I guess we'll find out when we've been using our Glos for a bit longer.
At least you know where to look for such a message when you're low on battery now
I was going through some old pictures I took with my phone the other day, and came across a couple I took of my Kobo Touch. They surprised me! I had completely forgotten this same low battery warning already existed pre-2.0.0. Image attached. However, indeed as you say XrXca, this warning doesn't show up when you're reading a book. Pretty useless, as that's exactly when you need it. I'm only on the home screen when I'm in between books, and I'm not going to check the book menu periodically to see how the battery is doing, especially not when the book is exciting!

So, I want a pop-up warning that screams at me for more juice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-15 18.53.08.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	93831  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote