Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Geographical Restrictions and the ipad

Ok I am soo confused. I live in canada and have canadian accounts with itunes, sony, kobo, B&N etc. that I got for my sony ereader. Now I am getting an ipad and just realized I can't even download the nook app because I am in Canada. My husband is American and we have an American address as well as Canadian and an American cc. We have 2 laptops (if that makes any difference) Can the ipad be authorized to 2 accounts and 2 computers? How do I make this work so I have access to American content as well as Canadian? I thought all the ebook stores checked your location by the cc billing address and your ip.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Where are you buying your current Nook books from? direct from Barnes and Noble?

Last edited by SHOECHICK; 12-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes when I purchase Nook books it is from the Barnes and Noble website ebook store
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
You can authorise 5 computers to use the one itunes account but only one computer to sync the ipad so all purchases, uploads and backups have to be done on the one computer. . . . and if anyone has found a way around that I'd sure like to hear it.
Another handy thing to get is a dropbox account for all the computers and the iPad.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie

Ok well syncing from one computer I can live with but can I sync with both the itunes accounts? I noticed that when we purchased apps from the american itune account on my computer, they showed up with all the canadian purchased apps on that computer. I am just wondering if they will all install on the ipad.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

when you sync on a different computer itunes says, you can only have one account do you wish to erase your ipod/ipad/iphone and sync with this account.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
artemisblossom
Groupie

I would be using the same computer just 2 itune accounts. I have several apps etc on my Canadian itune account and then when my husband registered an american itune account and purchased a couple of apps (Nook is not available in canada) the nook icon appeared in my itune account with the other apps. I am just wondering if all the apps will go to my ipad and be functional when I sync.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke

There's something you could try. When at home just sync as normal. Then when in the US go to SETTINGS on the iPad select STORE and LOG OUT and log back in with your husbands account.
Each account can use items on 5 other devices so it should work.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
artemisblossom
Groupie

Thank You next time I am in the united states I will try that
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Professorsan
Professorsan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
What can I do if I have no US connection? I'm having the same frustration at having a few ebooks purchased from BN but not able to get the Nook app for the iPad.
Professorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
I have this issue since I am in Canada frequently and was shocked to discover how much I could not access. The Canadian government has very tight control over the internet. And yes, it is the government and the contracts they have with the various retailers. Canada will also stop you from "streaming" and monitor usage. Only know this because we had issues when using our Apple TV's.

Connect to the American itunes account using a proxy service such as Proxy for Free (make certain you select a US site). Just enter the web address of where you want to shop or access. It is something of a pain but a least you can access your accounts! I have used it for itunes, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Good luck.....

Last edited by Debby; 06-10-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The problem is the credit card. I have an Italian credit card and and a true US address. This works with everybody else except with iTunes that does not let me buy from the US site, but only from the Italian one, that is not so well updated. Blast them. Good products though.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

IBooks just changed their terms and conditions so that only one device can be associated with the iBooks account.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I had the same problem trying to download French apps to my US registered iPad. I literally had to go to France and purchase a French iTunes giftcard, so I could set up my store preference with a French address and French payment method.... Just so I could download a few free apps. The one that I really wanted (radio and TV app) now stopped working when I am in the US
I could not find a way to get a French iTunes giftcard online.

The good thing is that you can buy something like a US Visa prepaid card online for sure, have you tried that? I could not find a way to do that with a French prepaid cc. It may be even possible to purchase US iTunes giftcards online.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I have a similar problem, I live in Japan and have Japan based iTunes. This is ok for the most part but it doesn't have all the apps etc as the US iTunes. And I can't seem to access the English audiobooks etc on the iTunes store?
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote