Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
Josienjoe
Josienjoe began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't understand this obsession and whining about charging an e-reader. If it needs charged, then charge it. Plug it in when you go to sleep and unplug it when you wake up or charge it when you charge your phone or something.
I'm with you there. I read. When nook says it needs to charge, I charge it. Lasts a heckofa lot longer than my cell battery.
Josienjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'm getting about 7-8 hours, which is two days of reading during the week, and just over a day on the weekend. I've moved the Nook's charger/USB into the bedroom next to the nightstand, so I (hopefully) remember to plug it in before I sleep.

One of the reasons I've kept the Opus (other than the Nook's miserable organization) is because the Nook gets down too low in the middle of a Sat or Sun, so I have another option until the Nook recharges. I also have the iPhone, but I only use that for Kindle freebies.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I'm getting about 7-8 hours, which is two days of reading during the week, and just over a day on the weekend. I've moved the Nook's charger/USB into the bedroom next to the nightstand, so I (hopefully) remember to plug it in before I sleep.

One of the reasons I've kept the Opus (other than the Nook's miserable organization) is because the Nook gets down too low in the middle of a Sat or Sun, so I have another option until the Nook recharges. I also have the iPhone, but I only use that for Kindle freebies.
Sounds like you have a plan for recharging your e-readers. 7-8 hours on a charge doesn't seem like very much. With all our advanced technology, we should be able come up with a battery that lasts a lot longer.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
isn't suppose to use the battery only on turning pages?

maybe the lcd screen drain battery even turned off?? (with that feature of turn pages with the touchscreen).

aww, that hurt, I just ordered a nook... it's a bummer considering the "month" battery of the new kindle 3 (I know a month will never be but I'm sure it will be a whole lot than nook, right?)
It does networky stuff too, even in sleep mode. Scheduled downloads and stuff.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
It does networky stuff too, even in sleep mode. Scheduled downloads and stuff.
how is that possible? Are we talking about the WiFi only version?

anyway guys, I'm sure I gonna love the nook when I get it and I'm not an avid reader either so I guess I will have a week without recharging... but how many turn pages would you say the nook has? An estimated of you avid readers guys... 500? 1.000?

Last edited by Paco; 08-19-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #21
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Mine is like Joykins; 6% per hour for reading, .5% per hour in sleep mode, 20%per hour with WiFi. For each charge, I get around 15 hours of straight reading.

I also monitor the power usage in reading mode without turning the page and found the unit still drains at 4% per hour. That means page turns use very little power (only 2%) and most of the power is used to perform backgroud applications, such as checking the touch screen circuit (even when it is power off) and other monitoring functions. I just wish that I'm proficient in the Android OS; it would certainly be a fun project to modify the SW and see how each function affects the power.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #22
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So basically its 6-10% per hour depending. Which equals out to what like 10-14 hours I would say? Not horrible but could be better, I just read for an hour and half and it went from 64% to 52%.

So I am down to 52% from when I first used it at 100%, read 1 book(250 page book) and 2 manga...I am content with this.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
ajaynaidu
ajaynaidu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
So basically its 6-10% per hour depending. Which equals out to what like 10-14 hours I would say? Not horrible but could be better, I just read for an hour and half and it went from 64% to 52%.

So I am down to 52% from when I first used it at 100%, read 1 book(250 page book) and 2 manga...I am content with this.
I get about a 5-6 days out of my charge. Read about 30-45 minutes daily. But does not bother me. I charge it like my cell.
And IN SPITE OF THE FAMED LONG CHARGE OF THE NEW KINDLE I DO NOT LIKE THE CLUNKY KEYBOARD AND PREFER THE TOUCH SCREEN.

As far as looks are concerned the Nook is absoluted the best looker around in e readers.
ajaynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #24
Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Mine is like Joykins; 6% per hour for reading, .5% per hour in sleep mode, 20%per hour with WiFi. For each charge, I get around 15 hours of straight reading.

I also monitor the power usage in reading mode without turning the page and found the unit still drains at 4% per hour. That means page turns use very little power (only 2%) and most of the power is used to perform backgroud applications, such as checking the touch screen circuit (even when it is power off) and other monitoring functions. I just wish that I'm proficient in the Android OS; it would certainly be a fun project to modify the SW and see how each function affects the power.
nice facts, thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post

48% for a book of 250 pages+2 mangas (I don't know what they but I assume are like reading a little book) is nice to my taste. And we get a nice little LCD touchscreen unlike the Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaidu View Post

As far as looks are concerned the Nook is absoluted the best looker around in e readers.
that's true.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #25
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

"48% for a book of 250 pages+2 mangas (I don't know what they but I assume are like reading a little book) is nice to my taste. And we get a nice little LCD touchscreen unlike the Kindle"

Yeah Just imagine two 200 page comic books, They take about an hour for me since I like to look at the art...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
Paco

cool stuff, thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

No problem :-)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #28
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't understand this obsession and whining about charging an e-reader. If it needs charged, then charge it. Plug it in when you go to sleep and unplug it when you wake up or charge it when you charge your phone or something.
This.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Does it make a difference whether you turn pages primarily via the touchscreen or via the buttons?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #30
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I tried both and didn't see too big of a difference. As I had observed earlier, for my unit, it seemed a big portion of the power consumption is on the background application (4% per hour) vs. turning the pages (2% per hour).
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote