Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #31
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Hi Jim-Beam,

While the W1060 is not a UMPC of the caliber of a Viliv X70, it is definately snappy. It is noticably faster than the SmartQ7. Heck, the thing boots in mere seconds. Also, the screen on this device is crisp and clear and much more reactive to touch than the SmartQ7. In fact, I'll just say it straight out - the build quality of the W1060 far outshines the SmartQ7. It reminds me of a bigger Archos 5 Android (I've got two of those in my closet waiting to give my sons for Xmas).

That said, I'm putting the W1060 through the ringer. I'll have a review up pretty soon, but I want to make sure everything is covered in detail and I answer most of the questions up front, including the ones in this thread.

I've also made a custom UI for the device. It is not a replacement for WinCE, just sits on top and makes things a little more fun. I'll be posting screenshots of it today.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Hi Jim-Beam,

While the W1060 is not a UMPC of the caliber of a Viliv X70, it is definately snappy. It is noticably faster than the SmartQ7. Heck, the thing boots in mere seconds. Also, the screen on this device is crisp and clear and much more reactive to touch than the SmartQ7. In fact, I'll just say it straight out - the build quality of the W1060 far outshines the SmartQ7. It reminds me of a bigger Archos 5 Android (I've got two of those in my closet waiting to give my sons for Xmas).

That said, I'm putting the W1060 through the ringer. I'll have a review up pretty soon, but I want to make sure everything is covered in detail and I answer most of the questions up front, including the ones in this thread.

I've also made a custom UI for the device. It is not a replacement for WinCE, just sits on top and makes things a little more fun. I'll be posting screenshots of it today.
Hurry up with that review (you know we wanted it yesterday, right?)! And does that UI also work for other (such as the JE100) WinCE devices?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #33
DigitBee
GadgetLover
DigitBee began at the beginning.

Device: W1060 SmartQ V7
ColdSun,

I just want to say your revirew is GREAT! Can not wait for your next one and the release of the UI for W1060......
DigitBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thank you, DigitBee
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #35
chicory
chicory doesn't litterchicory doesn't litter

Device: none
Are any of these multifunction devices easily viewable in sunlight? I used to use an ipaq for my ebook reader, and the only problem was trying to read in bright sunlight. What type of screen is best for outdoors? Or are there solutions for reading with j100 or smartq outside?

Thanks, C
chicory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Are any of these multifunction devices easily viewable in sunlight? I used to use an ipaq for my ebook reader, and the only problem was trying to read in bright sunlight. What type of screen is best for outdoors? Or are there solutions for reading with j100 or smartq outside?

Thanks, C
The JE100 uses a transmissive LCD screen. For a LCD screen to be easily readable outside, it needs to be reflective (no backlight) or transflective (best of both worlds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid_crystal_display
A transflective liquid crystal display is a liquid crystal display (LCD) that reflects and transmits light (transflective = transmissive + reflective). Under bright illumination (e.g. when exposed to daylight) the display acts mainly as a reflective display with the contrast being constant with illuminance. Only in dim and dark ambient situations an auxiliary transmissive backlight should be provided. When an illuminance sensor is added for control of the backlight, such a transflective LCD can be read over a wide range of illuminance levels. This is why that technique is often found in automotive instrumentation. In portable electronic devices the transflective mode of operation helps to save battery charge, since in bright environments no backlighting is required.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #37
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hurry up with that review (you know we wanted it yesterday, right?)! And does that UI also work for other (such as the JE100) WinCE devices?
Hehe! I'm trying. The review should be ready in the next couple of days. The UI should work for any WinCE device, but the screens are all in 800x480 so there would be some issues if the device doesn't support that resolution. It will work on any of the 7" SmartQ devices as well as the W1060.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Hehe! I'm trying. The review should be ready in the next couple of days. The UI should work for any WinCE device, but the screens are all in 800x480 so there would be some issues if the device doesn't support that resolution. It will work on any of the 7" SmartQ devices as well as the W1060.
Don't mind me, I'm just a very impatient person regarding gadgets (ask my husband!)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #39
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
@ Jakeson

Are you having problems posting 2 double posts, the same message each time (4 in total)?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #40
MobileXT
MobileXT began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi to every body! I'm a new to this forum and I would like to get some comments about the W1060 MID. I almost get one of this but I red you guys review and comments that there will be a better version of W1060 coming up next year. At this time I am still deciding either the JE100 or 7" smartQ or the W1060.

Thanks,
SAM
MobileXT is offline   Reply With Quote