Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Hanlin V3 or BeBook?

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking at buying my first ebook reader and have narrowed the choice down to a Hanlin V3. However I can get a BeBook shipped for about $100.00 less (I live in Australia). My question is what are the differences between the Hanlin V3 and BeBook? I assume they are identical in hardware but what about firmware? And are they interchangeable? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking at buying my first ebook reader and have narrowed the choice down to a Hanlin V3. However I can get a BeBook shipped for about $100.00 less (I live in Australia). My question is what are the differences between the Hanlin V3 and BeBook? I assume they are identical in hardware but what about firmware? And are they interchangeable? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick
Hardware is identical, firmwares are very similar and interchangeable.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Nikko73
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Hardware is identical, firmwares are very similar and interchangeable.
Thank you AlfonsVH ... out of interest which firmware do you use? Also are replacement batteries easy / cheap to obtain?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
They use a common Nokia mobile phone battery, and they include a screwdriver so the user can install the battery him- or herself. so I imagine that replacing the battery should be both easy and relatively inexpensive, but I've never done it myself since my unit came with the battery already installed.

The firmwares from the different OEMs are interchangeable, except for one point: switching between different OEM firmware versions apparently changes your Mobipocket device ID, which is bad if some of your books are DRMd Mobipocket.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Thank you AlfonsVH ... out of interest which firmware do you use? Also are replacement batteries easy / cheap to obtain?
I currently use the BeBook firmware v 2.02NL.090120. I think that version has been pulled, though, since, as Gudy pointed out, it changed the PID. However, most stores allow you to register several PIDs or to change existing PIDs, which eliminates the "problem".

The type of Nokia phone battery you should be looking for is BL-4C or BL-5C.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
It seems that different versions of the Jinke (Hanlin's mfg.) firmware also change the PID.

A couple of added thoughts;
(1)
You can DL "LogoMaker" from Jinke. This allows you to chang the opening & closing images so you can personalize your reader. (Note: you will have to do this again each time you update the firmware. Also note: the images are 16 bit BMPs and if you use a photo, you'll want to dither the image for best results on the Hanlin.
(2) You may want to check out the OpenInkPot firmware. It is open source and only handles ebooks without DRM but if that is not a problem for you, it is better, IMO, than any of the OEM firmwares. Oh, and LogoMaker doesn't work with this frimware.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
Nikko73
Enthusiast

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look at all of them whenI get the ereader (towards the end of March).

One other thing: I have many ebooks in various formats. Which format do you think the Hanlin handles best? I would be prepared to convert all formats into that if necessary.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions! I will look at all of them whenI get the ereader (towards the end of March).

One other thing: I have many ebooks in various formats. Which format do you think the Hanlin handles best? I would be prepared to convert all formats into that if necessary.
.fb2 is the one I prefer. If you have Windows look for BookDesigner, it's an application that allows you to convert to that format. What I like really is the CoolReader application, it's the viewer for fb2 files. See: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/How%20can...20own%20fonts?
For <body> I use font-size: 110%; and then from CoolReader interface I select "small", the second option. The only catch for CoolReader is that, being made by Russian, it only supports fonts that have Cyrillic glyphs, I had to edit "Frutiger Linotype" - the font that I exclusively use for reading - in order to use it.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
red_dragon
Daywalker
red_dragon is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi iterati,

How do you "edit" a font to support Cyrillic glyphs? My favourite font is "Charter" and I would like to use it...
red_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dragon View Post
Hi iterati,

How do you "edit" a font to support Cyrillic glyphs? My favourite font is "Charter" and I would like to use it...
It's not simple, it requires a font editor application first, then the quick method is to use glyphs from another font (like Verdana) and insert them into your preferred font. Many of the known fonts (Verdana, Arial etc) support Cyrilic, maybe "Charter" does too. Anyway, that is for later consideration, first need the reader
Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
iterati
Zealot

All right, I see you have the reader. So, you only need an editor like the free FontForge and a lot of patience.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
uberjeep
uberjeep began at the beginning.

Device: bebook one
Quote:
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking at buying my first ebook reader and have narrowed the choice down to a Hanlin V3. However I can get a BeBook shipped for about $100.00 less (I live in Australia).
Nick, where are you getting it shipped from mate?

Kirk.
uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote