Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Still no Vista x64 drivers ?

I am a bit disappointed that Sony did not released driver for x64 Vista.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Silvayn
Silvayn began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, Sony Reader 505
Drivers? I'm using Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 and I have no problems using PRS 505 - eBook Library works fine, firmware update worked fine as well.
Silvayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
10 threads down is this thread which I posted a solution to running the Connect software on Vista x64. It points to a thread which is on the first page of the Troubleshooting forum. The same directions are posted in front-page thread about the firmware update.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The PRS-505 acts as a standard USB Mass Storage Device, and thus use the drivers built into Windows. It's the PRS-500 that relies upon a propriety 32-bit driver for which Sony has thus far shown no interest in releasing a 64-bit version of.

And it is this 32-bit PRS-500 driver in Sony's poorly written installer that keeps PRS-505 users from being easily able to install the Sony Connect software.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur

The problem is that I have PRS-500
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
After almost a year with my PRS-505, and not being able to use it because of firmware bugs for most of that time, I decided to risk a root kit and install the Sony s/w on my PC that I sometimes connect my PRS-505 to. See the results below.

Ha ha ha hah.... shame on me for believing anything Sony said!!!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony error.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	14703   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony error 2.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	14704  

Last edited by recycledelectron; 07-28-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: lacking attachments
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
The problem is that I have PRS-500
If you don't have a spare PC, you could try to set up a Virtual Machine. I use VMWare, which costs around $200. I think Microsoft's VirtualPC is still free, though I've never used it.

Create a relatively small VM, say 4GB, and install WinXP (32-bit of course) onto it. Microsoft's VirtualPC is probably just like VMWare in that you can tell the VM to take control of specific USB-connected devices.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Or set up a dual boot with 32-bit XP or Vista.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

virtual pc does not support usb pass through, so you would have to use VMWARE..

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
If you don't have a spare PC, you could try to set up a Virtual Machine. I use VMWare, which costs around $200. I think Microsoft's VirtualPC is still free, though I've never used it.

Create a relatively small VM, say 4GB, and install WinXP (32-bit of course) onto it. Microsoft's VirtualPC is probably just like VMWare in that you can tell the VM to take control of specific USB-connected devices.
Personally I just use it on 2nd computer , way cheaper then spending $200 on VMWARE since I already have it

The MS VirtualPC does not "see" USB devices.

I still hoped for drivers for x64 Vista since it's my main machine.

Dual boot just to load books ... excuse me but that's masochistic solution
Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
MikeF74
Groupie

Has anyone tried using Adobe DE files yet? I cannot. Even though I've authorized my computer for DE, I cannot seem to authorize my Reader using the DE software.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If you installed eBook Library manually, there's an additional step you need to do.
See here.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
frank10
frank10 began at the beginning.

Device: psp-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
I am a bit disappointed that Sony did not released driver for x64 Vista.
It's awful they don't have the 64 drivers available.

I did get the connect library running as shown in the below messages, which helps a bit.
frank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is not with Sony but Microsoft. Microsoft makes it so hard to get drives under x64 Windows that some companies feel it's not worth the effort. Even Calibre doesn't have a 64-bit drive because of all the hassle Microsoft causes for you to get a working driver. To be honest, x64 just isn't worth the hassle. Better to stick with a slightly slower x32 Windows that works then an X64 that probably won't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #15
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur

x32 is not "slightly slower" actually it "slightly faster" however it has 3.xGB ram capacity limitation.

As for Microsoft ... the x64 is actually easy to make the problem is that to be able to install them on x64 system you need to certify them with MS meaning go through lengthily process and pay money to MS as well, that's the reason some companies prefer not to release x64 drivers especially for older hardware.
But here we talking about Sony and not so old hardware.