Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Pezzie
Pezzie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Calibre
Moving Calibre Library from on computer to another?

I've tried copying my library from one computer to another, but seem to loose all my metadata (Covers etc) when I open the library on another machine.

Is there a way to export the library completely to another machine without loosing all your covers and other metadata?

If I look in the directory for a book the files appear to be there, but they don't show up in Calibre when I look at the meta data.

I'm trying to re-convert the files and put all the meta data into the actual books, but with 1400 odd books, this is taking a while.

Last edited by Pezzie; 01-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Pezzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for such a quick reply,

I did copy the entire library directory to the other machine, but Calibre doesn't appear to be reading the file metadata.db correctly. The copy on the new machine doesn't show the Covers and metadata I added into the metadata on the other machine.

I've even tried re-adding all the files, but it still won't show my edits from the other machine.

Is the edited metadata not being stored in the book directory on the first machine? (Eg. I've messed my settings up some how?)

I don't know if it makes any difference if I'm switching from a Windows 7 to a Windows XP machine? (XP being the one I'm trying to copy to)

What is stored in the Application Data in Windows 7 and XP? Am I missing something from there when I copy to the other machine?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. If you copy the library folder correctly, all metadata and covers will show up.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Pezzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No. If you copy the library folder correctly, all metadata and covers will show up.
The directory is called C:\Books in my C:\ (root)

I copy the entire directory with all the sub directories.

I then put it in the same place on the other machine. C:\Books

Maybe I'm doing something wrong when I open Calibre on the other machine?

I open Calibre (empty library)

I select "Add Books" - All directories, including sub-directories....

It processes all the titles, but it appears to be reading data from the book files (mobi) and not the metadata files (opf).

Some books had all their metadata prior to using Calibre, some I've added with Calibre. The data is there, but not showing up in Calibre as it did on the first machine.

Is running the add books creating a new metadata.db file and overwriting what I did on the other machine? If so, how do I tell Calibre to just read the original metadata.db instead of creating a new one.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Read the link I posted before, it tells you exactly how to do that.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzie View Post
I open Calibre (empty library)

I select "Add Books" - All directories, including sub-directories....
Do NOT "Add Books."

Kovid gave you a link to instructions yet you make up your own.

Quote:
how do I tell Calibre to just read the original metadata.db instead of creating a new one.
Outlined in the instructions linked in post 2.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Wally953
Wally953 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've tried copying my library from one computer to another, but seem to loose all my metadata (Covers etc) when I open the library on another machine.

Is there a way to export the library completely to another machine without loosing all your covers and other metadata?

If I look in the directory for a book the files appear to be there, but they don't show up in Calibre when I look at the meta data.

I'm trying to re-convert the files and put all the meta data into the actual books, but with 1400 odd books, this is taking a while.
Hi Pezzie. I have exactly the same problem... did you solve it? please let me know.
Wally
Wally953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Did you follow the link that Kovid supplied?????
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sorry for the question, but what is wrong with Kovids post (post no. 2)? There you will find exactly pointed out how to do this. There is no problem as fare I know; only reading and following the instruction is necessary.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi Pezzie,
  1. Right click the Library Icon in the toolbar
  2. Select Switch/Create Library...
  3. Click the blue diskette icon to the right of the New Location box
  4. Navigate to (find) the library folder and select it
  5. Select the Use the previous existing library at the new location radio pushbutton
  6. Click OK
Hope this helps

BR

The manual says in part ...right-click the calibre icon in the toolbar and point it to the newly copied directory.

This is an IT-centric colloquial use of the verb 'to point', with which even those whose first language is English may not be familiar. Someone whose first language is not English, and who is not familiar with IT-speak, will probably find it even harder.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hi Pezzie,
  5. Select the Use the previous existing library at the new location radio pushbutton
  6. Click OK
Hope this helps

BR

The manual says in part ...right-click the calibre icon in the toolbar and point it to the newly copied directory.

This is an IT-centric colloquial use of the verb 'to point', with which even those whose first language is English may not be familiar. Someone whose first language is not English, and who is not familiar with IT-speak, will probably find it even harder.
BR
But my mouse cursor has a Arrow Point
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Pezzie

Thanks everyone. Problem fixed.

Sorry to not get back to the board sooner to reply. I hadn't realized that people were still posting until I got an email saying there was activity on the board. (Bit of a time delay there) Just goes to show that whatever you put on the web, stays on the web......... for ever and ever and ever.

I couldn't find the Calibre logo mentioned by Kovid in the help, but did eventually find the library button and did what "BetterRed" & "TheDuck" said, though I hadn't read the post at the time. (Like your "Staff to 4 cats" by the way, I'm staff to just one kitten (Lunna, middle name Tic) at the moment)

Again, thanks everyone.

Is it just me or are digital books just the best thing ever?

Last edited by Pezzie; 03-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Goldie112299
Goldie112299 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HD
Thank you BetterRed, I needed to see it in step by step list form....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hi Pezzie,
  6. Click OK
Hope this helps

BR

Goldie112299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Erijule
Erijule began at the beginning.

Device: Linx 10 Windows 8 tablet
Hi,
I'm a new member and am hoping for some help.
I am trying to copy the contents of my Calibre library from my Windows 7 PC to a Linx 10 tablet which is running Windows 8. I have followed the advice about saving to disc (I saved to a memory stick). I connected the memory stick to my tablet and tried to add books on the tablet using the option to add from a directory, as advised, but it didn't work. I have reset the database file and now all the books are listed but when I try to open a book I get a Critical error message "Failed to launch worker process etc.

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Erijule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, export library, moving