Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Doc to Mobi

Can anyone tell me of a software that will covert doc files to mobi? Calibre will not convert doc files. I have to save them to RTF format first and I have several hundred so that is not really possible for me to do.

Thanks.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Windows MobiPocket Reader will do this. I think it can even convert a complete folder of .docs at once. The MOBIs end up in the current mobipocket folder (look under ? -> Settings -> Advanced).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Thanks for the information wallcraft! I will try this.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition is fancier than the Mobipocket Reader, and allows more control over the conversion. It's meant to do conversions, not read, so has more options. It's a free download from Mobipocket.com.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition is fancier than the Mobipocket Reader, and allows more control over the conversion. It's meant to do conversions, not read, so has more options. It's a free download from Mobipocket.com.
Note that there are two versions of Creator and you basically can't upgrade from one to the other. Both are free, fortunately, so start with Publisher, the more advanced version. (I started with the other & basically had to completely uninstall it before I could 'upgrade' to the Publisher version.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Publsher is what you want. Takes a little bit more time to learn, but once you learn, you will breeze through most conversions.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think it can even convert a complete folder of .docs at once. .
how? or are there any other app to do this?

edit:
The quicker way I found: using print conductor+Cutepdf (both freeware) : doc to pdf ; then calibre (of course)
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
http://www.print-conductor.com/
only drawback is that I should click enter button to save each file converted to pdf. Now will search for a quicker( a real auto) one

Any suggestion?

Last edited by thomass; 04-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
lathom
Kindle user
lathom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'll second the recommendation of the free Mobipocket Reader. As I just discovered today, you can skip the rtf of other intermediary formats and go straight from a directory full of doc files to nicely-formatted mobis is Calibre with just two drag-and-drops.

Mark and drag all docs onto the Mobipocket reader window and they will be converted one-by-one to prc files on your "bookshelf".

Open the Mobipocket Reader data directory, mark the prcs and drop them on Calibre. Presto - renamed to mobi, and mine came in with pretty clean metadata as well.

Nice....
lathom is offline   Reply With Quote