Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It's always been easy for me, right out of the box. I guess I just did it right intuitively.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's always been easy for me, right out of the box. I guess I just did it right intuitively.
And that's great. Of course for every naysayer like me there's always an apologist.

But really my point isn't that it can't work well. My point is that there are a lot of people who confused about to how to perform the swipe, and just the fact that they need a youtube tutorial means that B&N did something wrong.

Maybe it's just a matter of B&N writing better documentation for the Nook 2?

Personally I think there's likely a technical solution as well. All the comments I've read about the page turning on the new Sony readers are very positive; that function seems intuitive, consistent, and most importantly doesn't require some people to watch a youtube video to reach that "aha" moment.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
yeah pretty easy here as well, it's just adjusting the amount of pressure used when swiping since touching the lcd screen also wakes it.

Just a nice slight graze and your in business.

Last edited by boswd; 09-28-2010 at 02:27 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Maybe it's just a matter of B&N writing better documentation for the Nook 2?
Are you sure, you've read the doc? How to swipe is really well described (at least in the manual version of January).

Swiping was one of the first things I've tried and was successful right off the bat.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Are you sure, you've read the doc? How to swipe is really well described (at least in the manual version of January).

Swiping was one of the first things I've tried and was successful right off the bat.
Yes, there are people who were successful right off the bat. There are also people who did not have immediate success.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
#77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Yes, there are people who were successful right off the bat. There are also people who did not have immediate success.
Yup. Despite what anyone claims, when it comes to touch screens, it's never a simple matter of "you're just doing it wrong". I'm not knocking B&N - they tested this like crazy and put out a good product.

I have problems with capacitive touch screens in general, so I knew this would be a bit more of an issue for me, which is why I wrote my "findings". It has a lot to do with the moisture levels of the skin on my hands - I have very dry skin, to the point of needing to moisturize my hands even during very humid weather. Yes, this also means that my results are therefore less consistent, so I must be that much more consistent in how I swipe / flick. It also means that other little factors, like cases, screen guards, etc., that only normally have a small effect the on the sensor array field then become a daily use factor. For those that have a similar problem, this might help them. If it helps only one other person, GREAT! :-)

Specific implementations of capacitive sensor arrays work better for me than others, but I've not found any information as to which capacitive technology the nook uses (projected / mutual / self, etc.). Yes, I know; it's truly a moot point. I've already figured it out and, even if I hadn't, it wouldn't change how much I heart my nook!
#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
But really my point isn't that it can't work well. My point is that there are a lot of people who confused about to how to perform the swipe, and just the fact that they need a youtube tutorial means that B&N did something wrong.
Sometimes I think these devices (the nook, the ipod, etc) are programmed by people who don't use them and don't really care to use them. Although I will never again be without an ipod or ereader, people who are going to use them should be leading the programming design (not necessarily the coding).

I have occasionaly problems with the page swipe which is almost always helped by licking the swiping digit just like a real book. I also notice it doesn't work as often if inconsistently reading. Kind of have to wake it back up.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
1. It's a capacitive touchscreen. This type of touchscreen needs (electroconductive) skin contact to the case for proper operation. Place an iPhone on a table and try to use the touchscreen without contact to the case. Will it work as usual? No.

3. B&N has done a good job to place strong limits on the range of valid gestures. A capacitive touchscreen is extremely sensitive. Without these strong limits people would claim they get noumerous faulty activations. And of course it would not be possible to hold the nook in the bottom area, placing the thumb on the touchscreen.
Hmm, my nook swipe works when it laying on the bed and I'm not holding it, and while it is sitting on something else while I'm reading. - My reading vision is super duper bad, so sometimes when I'm reading just for a minute and don't have my reading glasses, I'll set it on something a bit away from me.

As for 3.-- the nook seldom does something I didn't want it to (except while shopping the bn store from my nook) and if does, it is usually something I told it to do by accident.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
dmarcus48
dmarcus48 began at the beginning.

WOW, I didn't even know that the nook did that! I've been using the buttons. If it wasn't for the fact that I happened to be surfing at work I'd never know this cool feature. Which works fine for me BTW thank you very much.
dmarcus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcus48 View Post
WOW, I didn't even know that the nook did that! I've been using the buttons. If it wasn't for the fact that I happened to be surfing at work I'd never know this cool feature. Which works fine for me BTW thank you very much.
Isn't it the coolest thing? I love it, just makes reading a book feel so more natural and gives reading such a nice flow as opposed to clicking buttons.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
dmarcus48
dmarcus48 began at the beginning.

It is a nice feature, but I find it difficult to use when I'm lying in bed reading, so I still use the buttons. When I'm in my chair it works fine everytime, must be the angle I'm holding it.
dmarcus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #27
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I read with it while in bed. I just use my thumb to swipe it. Works fine with my hands & thumb length. I guess a lot has to do with hand size & finger lengths....& whether you can rest your nook on your stomach.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I read while I'm in bed all the time. It's how I go to sleep. I always start in the sitting position, then sometimes kind of get to the laying down with it still in front of me. Then those nights that I read in bed for a long time I'll turn on my side and read with my nook resting in whatever hand is on bottom.

Any which way I lay I use the page swiping. Even when I'm on my side, the trickiest position, I've become a master at using the thumb of my bottom hand (the one holding the nook) to swipe it.

I remember the days of reading heavy books in bed. Oh my poor arms when I read for awhile.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I think people get confused, especially if they've had or used a touch screen phone. On an iPhone, for example, you can really push and drag. If you want to move an icon on the iphone, you press onto the icon for a bit, and then DRAAAAG it where you want it. SO, when I got my nook, i had the hardest time turning the page, because I was pressing and then dragging. Just the lightest barely touching fast "swype" does the trick every time.
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I couldn't get it working at all when I was first checking out the BN instore display... but a clerk helped me, and once I knew it needed a light touch and that your finger had to stay in motion before and after hitting the screen, it was easy to master. I use pretty much any finger on either hand, depending on what is convenient at the time.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote