Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Fossil
Fossil began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Images Folder - Resize files

The novel I am reading on my ipod Touch has images to designate different sections of the book. These spread over 2 "pages" on the Touch. I want to resize them as I currently do with all my cover images and insert them back into the book. How do I access these files? Copy is not available and there is no export that I can see. Originally mobi coverted via Calibre to epub. Have Sigil 0.2.1.
Any pointers appreciated.
Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
The novel I am reading on my ipod Touch has images to designate different sections of the book. These spread over 2 "pages" on the Touch. I want to resize them as I currently do with all my cover images and insert them back into the book. How do I access these files? Copy is not available and there is no export that I can see. Originally mobi coverted via Calibre to epub. Have Sigil 0.2.1.
Any pointers appreciated.
Have you tried setting a maximum width and height in the css section for their class (you can use Sigil)?

or you could extract (unzip), re-size and update (add back) the image file (no name changes allowed)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Fossil
Fossil began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
So easy once the file was unzipped to get at the image files.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you tried setting a maximum width and height in the css section for their class (you can use Sigil)?

or you could extract (unzip), re-size and update (add back) the image file (no name changes allowed)
Hey, Ducky:

By any chance, do you or anyone else here know the optimal img size for display on an iPad? Oy, I have a children's picture book to do...the info would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hey, Ducky:

By any chance, do you or anyone else here know the optimal img size for display on an iPad? Oy, I have a children's picture book to do...the info would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Hitch
Apple is still in Cupertino.
They stay there, I stay here.

Fuji is my brand.

i-don't (do Apple )

No i-pad, No i-phone
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'll have to try the un-zip trick a second time.

I tried once, re-sized the images, re-zipped the entire thing, changed extension from .zip to .epub.
Worked fine in Calibre's viewer. But when I sent the epub to my Nook, the Nook apparently could not read the metadata (could not figure out the author name), and opening the epub made the screen flicker, then it dumped me back to the book selection screen.

Must have gotten corrupted somehow.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
You can't just rezip the thing. It is dangerous. The first element (mimetype) has to be treated specially: It must be the first file and it should not be compressed in any way. Depending on your Zip software this may happen by accident but don't count on it.

Something like:

zip -0Xq book.epub mimetype
zip -Xr9D book.epub *
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
You can't just rezip the thing. It is dangerous. The first element (mimetype) has to be treated specially: It must be the first file and it should not be compressed in any way. Depending on your Zip software this may happen by accident but don't count on it.

Something like:

zip -Xr9D book.epub *
Be careful with that. If you take the above commands literally, you are creating the epub in the same directory as "mimetype" (which directory is part of the epub itself), and you are zipping the epub into itself in the second line. try instead: (Unix syntax shown)

zip -0Xq ../book.epub mimetype
zip -Xr9D ../book.epub *

which will create the epub in the directory above that of the unzipped epub.

I know that's what you meant, I'm just commenting for the newbies here who might not catch it.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Just to be picky, the second command zips everything, which includes "mimetype" again, so it could be compressed instead of just stored. To exclude mimetype:

zip -Xr9D ../book.epub * -x mimetype

My standard script is:

Code:
FILE="Book Title.epub"
rm -f "$FILE"
zip -X0 "$FILE" mimetype
zip -X9Dr "$FILE" META-INF OEBPS
I make sure I remove the .epub file first (otherwise old files are not removed from it), and my ePUBs have always the same structure (just the "mimetype" file, the "META-INF" directory, and everything else inside an "OEBPS" directory).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Be careful with that. If you take the above commands literally, you are creating the epub in the same directory as "mimetype" (which directory is part of the epub itself), and you are zipping the epub into itself in the second line. try instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Just to be picky, the second command zips everything, which includes "mimetype" again, so it could be compressed instead of just stored.
Of course book.epub was meant to be a placeholder. But it is good to warn about both of these potential problems. Both can be taken care of by adding the -u switch to the second command line.

zip -Xur9D book.epub *

My man page (Mac OS X) says
Quote:
-u
--update
Replace (update) an existing entry in the zip archive only if it has been modified more recently than the version already in the zip archive. For example:

zip -u stuff *

will add any new files in the current directory, and update any files which have been modified since the zip archive stuff.zip was last created/modified (note that zip will not try to pack stuff.zip into itself when you do this).
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote