Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
mig_akira
mig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with others

Device: kobo
Doubts about Kobo - jpg converted to pdf, and some smaller issues...

Hello everyone!

I've been looking forward to buy a Kobo ever since it was announced. I always wanted a cheap but functional e-reader. The Kobo is also very good looking.

But a few issues might end up being a deal breaker for me. I would like to know if they happen in the Kobo:

1 - Not able to go directly to a page - is that a real problem, or any PDF can be marked by chapter? For example, I have a free PDF that I downloaded. Can I arrange it to separate it in chapters? Or that happens only in PDF that are already created with chapter separation?

2 - PDF created with a series of JPG files - say, an photo album, or a comic book - can be read by the Kobo? I would like to use this method, for example: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2006/1...-files-to-pdf/

3 - Does it read any PDF file? If I convert a .doc to .pdf using virtual printer, it will be read ok in the Kobo? Any manual pdf, or whatever, can be read? Or are there restrictions? If so, what are they?

4 - Other smaller issues - I saw here in the forum that there are some Kobos with battery malfunction, freezing problems, etc. Are they software problems, or hardware? Should I wait for a "rev2" Kobo e-reader? Since I live in Brazil, and am going to import the Kobo, it's a big deal for me - probably I wont be able to replace it if it comes defective.

Thanks a lot everyone!
mig_akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
No 6" reader will do a good job rendering PDf files, for reasons that have been discussed in many older threads. Also, there seem to be many ways to create PDF files, so it's hard to make a blanket statement.

I would not recommend any small reader for reading PDF files unless the files have been created explicitly for that size reader, not a common situation.

I don't think that any revision of software will give you a 6" reader able to do a good job with PDF viewing. I'm sorry, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion of the state of the technology right now.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
mig_akira
mig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with othersmig_akira plays well with others

Hello Pholy, thanks for answering!

Oh I wasnt aware of any that! I always thought that PDF were the default format and the other ones (ePub included) were proprietary formats that no one really used, lol.

Thats too bad. I thougt that it was the ebook reader that would limit the size of the page, not the pdf itself. Unfortunatly this is a deal breaker for me =(. I was really interested in buying a Kobo, since I have a lot of PDF in my PC, about 60% are technical books, 10% are comic books and the rest are novels.

Guess I should wait until there are easier ways to convert PDF to ePub then! Or wait until bigger screens are cheaper!

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
mig_akira

Sorry for double posting, but I`m writing in a PS3 and it limits the size of posts for some reason!

EDIT ----

Well I just saw that there are a few sites with free epub downloads, with public domain books...thats nice. Maybe I could start reading all those classics I never read.

I saw a blog showing a Sony 6" with the problem with PDF, but the author changed the font size to MEDIUM and the margins were then in the correct aspect, but the formatting went nuts (chapters started at the middle of the page). But that I can deal with! Is it that easy to do in the Kobo as well? Just changing the font size to make the margins disapear? What about inserting chapters in a pdf, is that possible? For every 10 pages or so?

Thanks!!! Maybe I can buy a ebook reader after all =)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
No 6" reader will do a good job rendering PDf files, for reasons that have been discussed in many older threads. Also, there seem to be many ways to create PDF files, so it's hard to make a blanket statement.

I would not recommend any small reader for reading PDF files unless the files have been created explicitly for that size reader, not a common situation.

I don't think that any revision of software will give you a 6" reader able to do a good job with PDF viewing. I'm sorry, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion of the state of the technology right now.
I think that depends on what your requirements are. I frequently read PDFs on my PB360 which is a 5-inch reader. I read the comics in land-scape mode and for text-based PDFs I either use reflow or the landscape mode (with the zoom set to fit-to-width). I find it very usable, but I am either reading text-based non-fiction (i.e. not so many diagrams) or novels and short stories. And comics, of course.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
You can also use software like briss to remove the margins from your pdfs. A lot of books then come down to widths around five inches or even less, which should display reasonably well in landscape mode on a six-inch screen. (The height of a 6-inch screen is about 4.8 inch inches.)
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Some PDFs are fine for me. If they're just text, and the formatting is not too complex, and if the type size fits nicely -- just by chance -- with the zoom, then it's okay, in landscape mode. Pages load slowly, though.

So far I have not had good results with Briss.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
What size and model eReader would you recommend for reading things like O'Reily tech manuals? (Or comic books?)

I had some success with pocket book sized manga on my Kobo. I converted jpeg to cbr and then pdf. News paper style comic-strip type comics did not work out as well. I had issues with page breaks and proportions. But, maybe I just need more practice with Calibre.

Full sized comics were impossible. (I you are interested I used the PD comic site at http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/ for getting test material.)
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
What size and model eReader would you recommend for reading things like O'Reily tech manuals? (Or comic books?)
I can't speak from experience, but I understand that a 10" reader would suit that purpose such as the Kindle DX (technically I think it's actually 9.7").

For comics I would be seriously considering an iPad, because of the colour screen, though obviously that comes with its own drawbacks.

EDIT: Bear in mind that O'Reilly now release books in many formats including ePub They finally figured out that PDF is not the ideal format for reading on a mobile device. I imagine other publishers of technical books will follow suit (fingers crossed).

Last edited by artificial; 06-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post

I had some success with pocket book sized manga on my Kobo. I converted jpeg to cbr and then pdf. News paper style comic-strip type comics did not work out as well. I had issues with page breaks and proportions. But, maybe I just need more practice with Calibre.

Full sized comics were impossible. (I you are interested I used the PD comic site at http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/ for getting test material.)
I think a tablet like the iPad is probably going to be your best bet for tech manuals and periodicals at this point. But I have seen lots of news about larger format devices that are being developed with a major focus on periodicals and content that isn't very friendly with novel sized screens.

Check this out:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100603VL203.html
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doubts, issues, kobo