Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
MrNobody
MrNobody began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anything I should know before buying?

Gidday All.

I'm from country Australia and I'm looking into getting an ereader.

There ain't much choice out this way. After a lot of research I've settled on the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro. I like the file format support, size, carry-case and so forth. And the price seems good as well.

I just wanted to double-check a few things before I purchase and this seems to be the place to do it. I've also noticed that one of the gents from Astak keeps an eye on this forum so I'd love to hear his comments as well.

So, without further ado:

What's the international purchase like? What if something goes wrong? What sort of support is available?

Is there any news in the pipeline that could affect my purchase of this? Something new and better and cheaper? I don't want to order and find out within a few weeks that the game's changed.

Is there anything different with getting an international order? Am I getting the same odds and ends and extras as if I were buying Stateside?

And, is there anything more I should know?

Thanks very much for all your help. I'd be looking to buy sooner rather than later but I can wait if it's worth it.

Cheers.
MrNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Hi MrNobody!

I'm from Australia as well and bought a PP. I love it. Sure I have problems here and there with some things but nothing that can't be worked around. For instance the PP does not read the LIT format very well. And by not very well I pretty much mean not at all. But over all the price is great and so are the features. I haven't had any reason to need support from Astak but RobertB, a rep from there, is always on these forums and always willing to help. I don't think you'd regret your purchase.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Bernie
Bernie began at the beginning.

Device: Astak 6" EZReader
Hi MrNobody

I live in South Africa and after a lot of research I've decided on the 6" EZReader. I've order it from the Astak site and received it within 10 days.
To date I am still very happy with my choice and I am looking at buying another one. I have a few friends who also want to buy, but I've told them
to wait a bit. My personal opinion is that there will be something new within
the next two months. I don't know if I'm wrong. I could be. I would like something with a bigger screen to read my PDF files a bit better. There is talk of a possible 9" reader. Laura81 is correct the reader do not read LIT files, but I solve the problem by converting them to epub with CALIBRE.

Whatever you decide, I do not think you will make a mistake by buying a reader from Astak. From what I've read the Pocket Pro is a very good reader.
I do not have any regrets regarding my choice
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Another happy Aussie - Definately get Calibre though. It'll convert books to whichever format you prefer. I think a lot of us prefer epub.

Cheers
erosco
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
As far as support goes, I believe Astak does provide international support for their ebook readers. Robert will have to confirm, though, as he's "the man" around here for all things Aztak.

As far as we know now, there are planned future devices in the works, though they are most likely a year or more away at the soonest. There isn't anything new coming at all in the next few weeks that I know of.

Though right now, there is a great special going on. If you order now from www.theezreader.com (or the Aztak website), you'll get a clip-on Mighty Bright reading light with your Aztak Pocket Pro or Aztak EZReader 6" (replaces 2 GB SD card) all for the same $199 price tag.

Besides the LIT format, sometimes the reader will freeze when trying to read MOBI files. This is both a problem with the MOBI file format and sometimes the reader being unforgiving. Other than that, all the other file formats work well and ePUB is the preferred one.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Another Aussie here. You'll get exactly the same support/service/product as someone buying in the US. For me the only "problem" (if you could call it one) is the supplied USB AC Adapter is US-style pins, so if you wish to charge via AC then you'll need to purchase a travel adapter to go from US to Aus pins, or just buy an USB AC Adapter (any USB charger will do (5v 1000mah), I paid $12.00 for mine), or alternatively you could just charge via USB on your computer.

If something does go wrong with the device I believe that regardless of where you live, you send the device to Astak, they repair and ship back to you (you pay to send it to them, they pay to send it back to you - as I understand). I have called their sales support and had wonderful service.

Being a 5" ereader I highly doubt something new will come out shortly. Like all technology there is the risk of something new coming out right after you buy, however looking at the market the 5" devices were released (by most manufacturers) from mid last year onwards, so they are still relatively new. Also when you look at the specs, the 400mhz processor, Epson controller etc, the Pocket Pro is running some fairly similar hardware to the new ereaders being released now (and the ones being released now are large screen).

Anything else you need to know? Well there is another thread on this forum where Robert (Astak Rep) announced purchases for the next couple of weeks will come with a free book light (nice light, not just some cheap thrown in device but a good quality booklight).

All I can say overall is I am a very very satisfied customer and will not hesitate at all buying internationally from Astak again.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Being a 5" ereader I highly doubt something new will come out shortly. Like all technology there is the risk of something new coming out right after you buy, however looking at the market the 5" devices were released (by most manufacturers) from mid last year onwards, so they are still relatively new. Also when you look at the specs, the 400mhz processor, Epson controller etc, the Pocket Pro is running some fairly similar hardware to the new ereaders being released now (and the ones being released now are large screen).
I think you covered the new models.

The important thing is the 5" is not going away soon.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Wecome, Mr. Nobody, to Astak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
Gidday All.

I'm from country Australia and I'm looking into getting an ereader.

There ain't much choice out this way. After a lot of research I've settled on the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro. I like the file format support, size, carry-case and so forth. And the price seems good as well.

I just wanted to double-check a few things before I purchase and this seems to be the place to do it. I've also noticed that one of the gents from Astak keeps an eye on this forum so I'd love to hear his comments as well.

So, without further ado:

What's the international purchase like? What if something goes wrong? What sort of support is available?

Is there any news in the pipeline that could affect my purchase of this? Something new and better and cheaper? I don't want to order and find out within a few weeks that the game's changed.

Is there anything different with getting an international order? Am I getting the same odds and ends and extras as if I were buying Stateside?

And, is there anything more I should know?

Thanks very much for all your help. I'd be looking to buy sooner rather than later but I can wait if it's worth it.

Cheers.
Dear Mr. Nobody:

I am the Gent from Astak! Gidday!!

Welcome to the Astak Dedicated Forum on MobileRead Forum:

In answer to your nice post, Astak is proud that we have a great market in Australia and New Zealand and we aim to only grow our support there!

We DO have a special going on right now. Buy either the 5 inch Pocket PRO or the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic and you will receive (in the same box) a Mighty Bright LED eBook Reader light free. This promotion runs from January 30 until midnight on February 14, 2010.

You get everything in the box as you receive here in the USA. The USB Cable, AC Adapter, wrist leash, crush-resistant case, ear buds, and screwdriver are all in the box!

There are new models planned to come out in 2-3 months. These will likely include touchscreen and Wi-Fi... but there is more cost too to consider. The Pocket PRO is an extremely viable product despite this and will continue to be a great device.

You would be able to see the Pocket PRO at: www.theEZreader.com. However, we ask all International Orders to go through: www.astak.com as that takes PayPal and is set up for international shipping.

IF you were to have a problem with the Pocket PRO you will recive the same support: 1-866-368-8788 or email to: support@astak.com. Our support hours are M-F 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. PST! The warranty is one year parts and labor... you pay to ship it to Astak and we pay to return it to you. Perhaps, in the future, we will have a local distributor to that area who could also assist you.

I hope you will find that the Pocket PRO is a perfect choice for you. In any case, you have my thanks for your post and my assurances that we will be here for you!

THANK YOU and cheers!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Another Aussie here. You'll get exactly the same support/service/product as someone buying in the US. For me the only "problem" (if you could call it one) is the supplied USB AC Adapter is US-style pins, so if you wish to charge via AC then you'll need to purchase a travel adapter to go from US to Aus pins, or just buy an USB AC Adapter (any USB charger will do (5v 1000mah), I paid $12.00 for mine), or alternatively you could just charge via USB on your computer.
Or you could just be a tight-arse like me and bend the pins with pliers! The charger is 240v compatible and the pins do bend :-)
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosco View Post
Or you could just be a tight-arse like me and bend the pins with pliers! The charger is 240v compatible and the pins do bend :-)
The US-> Adapter is US$2.89 (retail) at Fry's.
EZReader.com needs to get a bunch for International Clients.
Shipping records should give them a clue of mix/quantities
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
violetspike
violetspike began at the beginning.

Device: None
JUST got home from work and my Pocket Pro was waiting for me.
I am charging it now. It's so light weight! Very exciting!
violetspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Congrats!! Pocket PRO arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetspike View Post
Dear Violetspike:

Good for you!! First step is always one of charging.

Yes, the feel of lightness with the Pocket PRO is a great first notice. You will grow to love that lightness more and more.

Please do not forget to read the FAQ sheet on: www.theEZreader.com under "support". The User Manaul is printed and is not possible to keep current. The FAQ sheet will help you a lot.

Always do the latest Firmware Upgrade on that same website. Never count on the fact that because you just purchased it, the upgrades are current. It does no harm to try. Recent upgrades added a visable clock and 9 levels of font increase and prolonged the battery charge life!!

Welcome!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetspike View Post
I suggest putting on some wrist weight so you don't end up bouncing it off the Ceiling :^)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
MrNobody
MrNobody began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I've ordered mine. Thanks everyone for their comments. I'll add a postscript with my thoughts when I get it.

Cheers.
MrNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
MrNobody, congratulations on ordering your new Pocket Pro!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote