Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Angry Error message : "Invalid Format" " Do you want to format your internal memory"

Yesterday,my laptop hard drive died.Today I decided I would try to set my reader up with a netbook I bought about a week ago,as a good interim solution for easily getting stuff onto the reader (from the sony store etc)-after being on the phone with sony earlier today,everything seemed fine. So,this evening...I got that error when I turned the reader on to read-got on with Sony (for the second time in as many days at least..or wait is it third). The support guy wasn't so good,and as I feared,I had to format the internal memory- I did have *some* stuff on the memory card,but there are about a hundred or so lost items,I have to figure out if its books,or feeds from feedbooks or what....I think my Sony Reader software somehow does not play nice with my Acer netbook....and where's the backup of the books I had on the device..amongst the lost data I could not back up from my laptop before the HD died...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY !!!! I love how the support person kept asking if I had the books on my HD-he was NOT understanding that literally my HD died YESTERDAY and I was trying to get things working on a new-ish machine.....

Has anyone ever had this happen before ? Since I've owned my readers,I've been through a few computers NEVER had this happen before...

*sigh* and to think its been a LONG day without this added on top....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
warriorscot
Enthusiast
warriorscot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Happens all the time. Happens when you improperly remove the device. To fix it usually you just plug it in and when you get the message that asks you to scan and fix or ignore pick scan the drive and check both boxes. Windows will then scan the drive of the sony and resolve the errors for you without having to format.

To avoid it you have to eject the drive properly with the safely remove hardware tool. But once you know scan and repair works its not as big a problem.
warriorscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Did all of that,properly ejecting and all.-both from the windows tool AND the elibrary software (before it totally stopped working). I don't get a "scan and fix" prompt on this machine (used to with the laptop-but that was Vista not XP).

At this point am thinking of not bother until I get my old/new laptop back -I tried last night several times to re-install the eLibrary software ,and while it installs,and runs-it freezes and then crashes the INSTANT the reader is connected.

Can't quite figure it out,rather perplexing-until I figure it out,its probable that neither of us will connect our readers to the netbooks.Actually since I don't have much on this yet-may even try to restore it back to factory settings and then install the software....
Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
computer problems happens in 3s, I've had Mother Boards, VId cards and Monitors all die within 2 weeks of eachother.

it sucks that you lost your back up.
Get Drop Box to back up your files, 2 gbs free, should be more than enough for all your books and documents. paid account has more, has the ability to sync multiple computers as well has having a public folder which you can just right click anything in the folder and get a real link for it that you can post an email. works especially well for images. Click Here.

remember this thread to fix library problems https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40987

if the devise is randomly making errors it is the devices fault.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Well,then my reader would be the third,its either that or the blackberry...although the blackberry has been wigging out a bit,and then again so has my broadband and broadband card...ok maybe its just not my week LOL

I was able to restore stuff to the memory stick,pre setting up feedbooks ,I think the items unaccounted for were feeds I was adding to the reader from Feedbooks via Newsstand-so ultimately not to worried about that....Thanks for the Drop Box suggestion,will do that.

However,it is still VERY odd that I haven't been able to connect my reader properly with my netbook.I'm not super worried about it,as I will have my main laptop back in a couple of weeks.I'm going to set up Calibre on the netbook and use that...and see if I can figure out what's up with eLibrary on this thing.

And thanks for that thread reminder !!!!
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
my $1400 tv just blew a week ago due to a $1 capicitor

gonna cost a few hundred to fix. I'm putting it off

that thread should fix all your library problems hopefully. it seems to for most people.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Sadly,it did not -when I had problems in the past on the other machines,that stuff worked. I am going to try to set up the eLibrary software on my PC at work,and connect that...and see what happens....

The HD on my laptop died...one day left on the warranty....one day from the possibility of half the cost of acquisition on repair...at which point I would've replaced it...I guess I will look at doing that at year end..or at least a reasonable back up....or maybe I should invest in a cheap desktop ...last time the last laptop started acting up....within six months I ended up getting a new one...one problem became three,and of course by the third time it was time to say goodbye......hmmm
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
narbeauchamp
Groupie

I tried something this morning-connecting my digital cameras to the netbook. It has similar issues with my Sony DSC-T50 as with my PRS700....now when I connected my Canon SLR to it...NO problems at all,it recognizes it and reads all the files- with the Sony ,it recognized it and I could read the first picture before a windows read error message popped up...Also I was able to take an SD card,and move ,from within the eLibrary software,a bunch of freebie books I downloaded from the Sony store- including Free,by Chris Anderson-which if I recall was reviewed in the NYT last week- to the SD card,and read it on the reader....so I'm wondering if this is some sort of a weird issue with Memory Stick cards/devices???????

I am going to do a system restore of the netbook-and see what happens and if that fixes anything.....

Wish me luck !!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
I am going to do a system restore of the netbook-and see what happens and if that fixes anything.....

Wish me luck !!!
Best of luck. A system restore is a last resort but on a new device you don't have much to lose.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
narbeauchamp
Groupie

At this point,I don't have much to lose with the netbook-I've only had it maybe 15 or 16 days now-and originally was keeping it as a machine for light work,web surfing et al.It is only now that I'm without my main laptop that I use it for some of the web based work stuff I need to do....as for my reader-I reformatted it (a few times actually...because once I connect it..I have to in order to break the loop)-I've got my library (minus feeds) on my Memory Stick,and now some newer stuff I downloaded the other day on the SD card-worse case...I can't use the devices with the netbook-even after restore...best case,I resolve this issue,and that also helps the *other* set of devices in the house ( a 505/netbook combo,mine has the larger HD so I would eventually have liked to use this as a "fun" machine including housing my elibrary back up..but alas maybe that is not to be).

Upside-at least I now can read again from my reader.... was a bit of a tough day or so without ANY of my books.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
narbeauchamp
Groupie

just got WONDERFUL news...email notification from FedEx with the tracking number for my laptop that Sony is shipping back. I will still try the restore on the netbook-I can't fathom why the reader doesn't work as it should with it. (as well as the camera) .
Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Update : After many hours on the phone and in live chat with sony....there is a problem with my device and how it communicates with the eLibrary software.

We tested it with both of my pc's....same issue on both...but otherwise the computers recognize the device....

So off for service it goes (the same issue occurs with my main laptop that just returned from being serviced). Or did I opt for exchange...NOW I can't remember..I'd better go look at my notes again

..so off it goes....

Last edited by narbeauchamp; 07-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.