Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
inew
inew began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
A suggestion to Pdf2lrf

I just got a PRS-500 and found this forum.
I am a geek who usually read pdf files. I have tried several pdf-lrf converters. So far I like Pdf2lrf best due to one simple reason: when dealing with double-column documents, the software and sort the page correctly for me. Something like:
--------
| 1 | 3|
--------
| 2 | 4|
--------

It is possible other softwares can also do this, but I did not figure out.

Anyway, this solution perfectly solved my problem on double-column pdfs. So the next question is how to read single column ones. To me, split them into 2 parts and use the landscape mode is not good enough (8-( bad eye-sight).

I am wondering whether we can somehow cut the pdf in middle and shift the lines together or not. Something like
from
----1------2------
----3------4------
----5------6------
----7------8------
----9------10-----
to
----1----
--2------
----3----
--4------
----5----
--6------
----7----
--8------
----9----
--10-----

I noticed that pdf2lrf can "join pages" which technically cut pdfs to small pieces. So the idea is to cut the file to half-line level and join them together. Of course, the height of the line should be detected, since there may be figures in them.

If such a change can be make, I think most single-column files (fictions, scientific documents, etc.) can be read more much more easier. There may be some complicated files, which we can read on the computer.

Just my 2 cents and I hope, some expert can include this into pdf2lrf or other converter softwares. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by inew; 10-07-2008 at 11:29 PM.
inew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I believe you are talking about PDFLRF not pdf2lrf. The former is a stand alone app. The latter is packaged w/calibre.
The creator of PDFLRF is no longer active and on top of that the developer never realeased the code.
There is a tool PDFRead that is currently being developed. They are working on the very algorithm you spoke of. See the PDFRead thead.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
inew
inew began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Thanks for the information.

I testdrive the PDFread. It does not seem to provide the file split results I am looking for, i.e., cut the file to 2*2 pieces. I will follow and see what they can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I believe you are talking about PDFLRF not pdf2lrf. The former is a stand alone app. The latter is packaged w/calibre.
The creator of PDFLRF is no longer active and on top of that the developer never realeased the code.
There is a tool PDFRead that is currently being developed. They are working on the very algorithm you spoke of. See the PDFRead thead.
inew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by inew View Post
Thanks for the information.

I testdrive the PDFread. It does not seem to provide the file split results I am looking for, i.e., cut the file to 2*2 pieces. I will follow and see what they can get.
No it doesn't have that feature yet. I don't know if the dynamic duo Nick/Ashkulz (PDFRead developers) are working on this feature but here is a link with the links on some algorithms.

Here is a direct link to the algorim you asked for link

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote