Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #196
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Does work on Glo, running 2.2.1 (r44772, 09.Nov.2012) - with a solid chapter bar.

Note: the pic suffers from uneven light and low contrast since
it was taken in dark environment with maximum Glo-light.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #197
textchimp
textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It works! Now what to do with it...

Ok, I can report that the plugin works as advertised on the Glo, with firmware 2.1.5. The only unusual thing is that the clock still appears over the brightness slider when it's activated in the bottom menu bar. I may be confused but was there not also an option for having a dropdown menu for Shelves, replacing the previous 'Reading' and 'Discover' menus, on the home screen? I've just got blank space around my book covers and the Library / Shelves / Tools menus.

So ikarus9999, thanks for the excellent work on this - it seems to offer the possibility of making the device a lot more customisable. How did you work it out? Do Kobo have any docs about the plugin API?

I would really like to know if it's possible to get a true fullscreen mode working through this, using all the screen space for text. I can't believe how much of the screen is not used - it varies from page to page but sometimes it seems like an extra few lines are left empty, far above the page numbers, for some unknown layout reason.

The other big missing feature that I wonder if the plugin can address is the ability to do some kind of 'custom sync', i.e. have the device check a specific server for new books to automatically download - potentially a Dropbox folder, your own computer running Calibre's web server, or any other server space. This would also open up the option of sending articles to the device via browser extensions, something I found very useful to do with the Kindle and which is easy because of the email address they provide to do this.

Also wondering if the plugin allows access to interpreting touchpad gestures? Could anything closer to multi-touch gestures work? Might be nice to have gestures for jumping forward/back by chapters, rather than the cumbersome menu-based default on the Touch/Glo.

Anyway, thanks again, here's to fully open and hackable reading devices. I hope Kobo supports this stuff, as it seems it could give them an edge over the very locked-down Kindle...
textchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #198
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Installation question

Hi !

I have a (rather stupid) question about the installation of the plugin. The instructions on the first page talk about extracting "test-xx.xx.xx.zip" in the .kobo folder. When I try to do that, I end up with a new folder called "Kobo" with the plugin files inside. The problem is that I already have a "Kobo" folder there, which contains files called "Analytics.conf" and "Kobo ereader.conf". I think this is just a bug due to the fact that my mac computer always extract everything down to the folder level, and that I should put the intermediate "Kobo.tgz" file in the .kobo folder. Am I right ? If not, should I put the plugin files in my already-existing "Kobo" folder ? Or somewhere else ?

(NB: that's on a Kobo Glo running 2.1.5)
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #199
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by textchimp View Post
I would really like to know if it's possible to get a true fullscreen mode working through this, using all the screen space for text. I can't believe how much of the screen is not used - it varies from page to page but sometimes it seems like an extra few lines are left empty, far above the page numbers, for some unknown layout reason.
Only happen on long paragraph.
The problem is cause of Adobe reading engine... only way to not have this, is to wait Kobo buy new licence and use last Adobe release.

Quote:
Also wondering if the plugin allows access to interpreting touchpad gestures? Could anything closer to multi-touch gestures work? Might be nice to have gestures for jumping forward/back by chapters, rather than the cumbersome menu-based default on the Touch/Glo.
IR modul is only mono-touch on Kobo... so multi-touch options are not possible.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #200
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
I see "dumpLayout=false" in koboplugins.ini.
What is it ?
Up !
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #201
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The problem is cause of Adobe reading engine... only way to not have this, is to wait Kobo buy new licence and use last Adobe release.
It is related to the "widows" and "orphans" style settings. The default is 3 for both and the reader respects this. If the style of the book sets it to something else, the reader uses that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #202
textchimp
textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is related to the "widows" and "orphans" style settings. The default is 3 for both and the reader respects this. If the style of the book sets it to something else, the reader uses that.

Thanks for this info! I tried

Code:
p, body{
widows: 0; 
orphans: 0;
}
in my book conversion stylesheet in Calibre, and it seems to help with these page gaps, but it doesn't stop them completely in some cases. I can tell the setting is doing something though, because if e.g. I set widows to a high value like 10, there are pages with huge amounts of empty space at the bottom where the next paragraph has been withheld.

Still hoping there's a way to have a fullscreen mode which uses all that space at the bottom of the screen. I hope we don't have to wait for Adobe to address it. It seems like the space has been left there so that the bottom menu always has empty space in which to appear (and also to hide the light shadowing) - so I hope Kobo has some control over this.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #203
textchimp

Quote:
Quote:

IR modul is only mono-touch on Kobo... so multi-touch options are not possible.
I realise the IR doesn't allow for true multi-touch, so maybe "pinch"-style zoom gestures are not an option... but I was hoping at least that the IR might be able to tell how "broad" a click or swipe is, i.e. how many fingers are being used, which would allow different actions to be taken when two or more fingers were used for a gesture...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #204
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I realise the IR doesn't allow for true multi-touch, so maybe "pinch"-style zoom gestures are not an option...
You can pinch to zoom on the Sony PRS-Tx series of eReaders so some IR touch implementations can do multi-touch.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #205
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I see "dumpLayout=false" in koboplugins.ini.
What is it ?

Up !

Sorry for my late answer. I'm quite busy at work at the moment.

Well this is used to dump the screen layout to stdout. I'm using it to determine the layout elements in the screen. This is how I know which elements I have to modify.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #206
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Claire__ View Post
Hi !

I have a (rather stupid) question about the installation of the plugin. The instructions on the first page talk about extracting "test-xx.xx.xx.zip" in the .kobo folder. When I try to do that, I end up with a new folder called "Kobo" with the plugin files inside. The problem is that I already have a "Kobo" folder there, which contains files called "Analytics.conf" and "Kobo ereader.conf". I think this is just a bug due to the fact that my mac computer always extract everything down to the folder level, and that I should put the intermediate "Kobo.tgz" file in the .kobo folder. Am I right ? If not, should I put the plugin files in my already-existing "Kobo" folder ? Or somewhere else ?

(NB: that's on a Kobo Glo running 2.1.5)

If you extract the 'test-xx.xx.xx.zip' to your '.kobo' directory you should get a file which is called 'Kobo.tgz'. It could be that your unzip program extracts also the contents of the 'Kobo.tgz' file.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #207
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus9999 View Post
If you extract the 'test-xx.xx.xx.zip' to your '.kobo' directory you should get a file which is called 'Kobo.tgz'. It could be that your unzip program extracts also the contents of the 'Kobo.tgz' file.
Ah yes, thank you, I thought that was the problem. Everything is fine now !
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #208
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for this info! I tried

Code:
p, body{
widows: 0; 
orphans: 0;
}
in my book conversion stylesheet in Calibre, and it seems to help with these page gaps, but it doesn't stop them completely in some cases. I can tell the setting is doing something though, because if e.g. I set widows to a high value like 10, there are pages with huge amounts of empty space at the bottom where the next paragraph has been withheld.
There might be some other styles being used for paragraphs. These need to be modified as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #209
textchimp

Quote:
There might be some other styles being used for paragraphs. These need to be modified as well.
Anything in particular? I'm setting margin and padding already...
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #210
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
There is a bug in the reading software. The beginning of very long paragraphs (about 4-5 "pages") is always shown on a new page. Annoying.

Orphans ans widows do not have that effect - just two or three lines.
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, plugin