Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree with Harry's assessment that the screen is the reason why there are shortages. The V3, 505, Gen3, Nuut, STARebook, and Kindle all use the same 6" Vizplex screen. And with the production facilities being smallish, it's easy to see why there are delays and shortages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #47
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I just wanted to add that amazon's .pdf conversion service rocks. Now if you have a multi-column .pdf, I'm sure it won't be so swell, but I sent a free un DRM'd .pdf book that I downloaded from the web to my free.kindle.com address and I was very very surprised at how well it came out.

It actually had linked table of contents! Of course, the original .pdf was a really good .pdf, but the charts, links and everything worked in the conversion.

I was very, very surprised! I've also had really good success with websites that I "print to .pdf" and then send that .pdf to my free.kindle.com addy. Mostly news articles or something multipage, but again, the charts, photos and arrangement convert really well.

So if you don't want to go to the trouble of manually converting fairly clean .pdf files on your own, the email service is fast and I've had great results so far.

Again, I wouldn't think that a two-column .pdf (like a lot of textbooks are) would work very well at all, but everything else seems great.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert