View Poll Results: Swipes or Taps?
Swipe 27 49.09%
Tap 17 30.91%
Don't care 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Swipes vs Taps

I never had a Sony touch reader before, and I have to say I was firmly in the "tap" camp before I received my PRS-350. I know recently with the Kindle Touch being announced, there was some arguing in a T1 thread about swipes vs. taps and why each is superior. Well, after using my 350, I'll say that there is something to be said for swipes.

When I use apps on my phone, they always only want a tap, and so I thought that was the better option, would require less motion, etc. But here's why the swipes on the 350 are awesome: you set up the direction you want Next Page and Previous Page on, and you can swipe from either side of the reader and change next or previous page. I *love* this, because I like to read and turn pages with only one hand, and generally the thumb is the easiest to use to tap or to swipe. If I hold the reader with my left hand, on anything that requires just a tap, I usually have to either use my right hand to turn pages (because the next page tap will generally be on the right side of the reader-I'm talking iphone app here) or contort my hand in weird ways to tap on the right side. Also, it's probably much easier to avoid accidental page turns this way.

With the PRS-350 (and the T1), I can use either hand, and turn pages previous or next from either side of the reader. That is a huge plus, and one that I hadn't seen mentioned. The other pros people have mentioned like "swipe causes less fingerprints" didn't sway me at all, as in my experience e-ink screens are fairly fingerprint-safe anyways, not like iPhone screens.

So I can say that now that I've used both swipes and taps (previously only taps on iphone apps) i actually don't mind swipes like I thought I would, and may actually prefer them because of the ergonomic concern.

This is only making me wish I could get my hands on an affordable 650 or 950, though. I like the 350 but I'd like more screen real estate over all.

Last edited by seajewel; 11-06-2011 at 02:53 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
But here's why the swipes on the 350 are awesome: you set up the direction you want Next Page and Previous Page on, and you can swipe from either side of the reader and change next or previous page. I *love* this, because I like to read and turn pages with only one hand, and generally the thumb is the easiest to use to tap or to swipe. If I hold the reader with my left hand, on anything that requires just a tap, I usually have to either use my right hand to turn pages (because the next page tap will generally be on the right side of the reader-I'm talking iphone app here)
Well stated. I too prefer to use one hand and going forward or backwards with a simple thumb gesture that doesn't required altering my grip works well for me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Ideally I would like to have the option to go between them.
With a screen as responsive as my 350 swiping is superb. Only the smallest, gentlest motion and it's done. It's actually almost like a tap, come to think of it.
My 950 isn't quite as responsive and takes a little bit more"effort" to turn pages and I find myself using the page turning buttons more on the 950. Having the option to tap would be nice.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
You will get this option with the next PRS+ version (2.0.15) or immediately with a custom build, it's already in the main-repository.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
You will get this option with the next PRS+ version (2.0.15) or immediately with a custom build, it's already in the main-repository.
Options are a good.
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Fantastic!!!!!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have the Kobo Touch and I usually use Tap, but when I want to go backwards swipe from left to right. I don't know if the Sony can change the taping area but the KT does so I use most of the page for tapping forward.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
With 2 Sonys and a Nook. I have long been in th swipe camp. Using apps on the Touch that require a tap tend to be annoying.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
My 950 isn't quite as responsive and takes a little bit more"effort" to turn pages and I find myself using the page turning buttons more on the 950. Having the option to tap would be nice.
I can't compare it to a 350 but on my 950 I don't seem to have too much of an issue. I'll hold it one handed with my thumb just barely hanging over and do all page swipes without moving anything besides my thumb.

How does tap work if you double tap words? 1 tap too slow and it changes pages?
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugami View Post
on my 950 I don't seem to have too much of an issue. I'll hold it one handed with my thumb just barely hanging over and do all page swipes without moving anything besides my thumb.
My 950 is also just as responsive as yours. I never use the page turn buttons.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I bought a new mobile phone, HTC, a few months ago.
Its touch screen made me appreciate Sony Reader touch screen even more.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Is there a rough estimate for when this will be released? I would really prefer tapping. Thanks in advance.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Now that I've tried a tap screen I like it. So either way is fine with me. It doesn't take long to get used to tapping over swiping.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I had the same realization I while ago using my iPad. I thought tapping was much more convenient, until I held my iPad with the left hand and realized I couldn't 'page forward' without tapping on the OTHER side of the screen - so using the other hand.

Since then, I am all for swiping, especially SONY-style (very short swipe works...)
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I had the same realization I while ago using my iPad. I thought tapping was much more convenient, until I held my iPad with the left hand and realized I couldn't 'page forward' without tapping on the OTHER side of the screen - so using the other hand.

Since then, I am all for swiping, especially SONY-style (very short swipe works...)
I do really like that functionality.. I read holding the reader with my left hand often, and it's just inconvenient if it's a tap app (like iphone apps). If people love taps, i could see it working with either very configurable tap zones (make most each side be "next Page" with a small part, say bottom left and right, or top left and right corners being 'previous page" or let you tap for next page, swipe for previous page, etc.

The nice thing about not having to tap is accidental touches on the screen don't result in page turns. But I could live with tap, if I could configure it like I described above to let me use the left thumb to do next page as well.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote