Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Search function not working correctly

I use the Sony PRS-350, mainly for epubs and a few searchable pdfs. I am very disappointed with the search function within books. If I search for a word that I know is there, the search function will only find it if I am searching from a position in the book before the occurrence of the word. If I search from a position after the word, I get a message saying "word not found, do you want to search from the beginning?" I select "Yes" and a message comes up at the bottom of the screen saying "searching...", but nothing happens. I have left this running for a very long time, but still nothing happens - and it is not a long book. If I search for the word when I am actually located at the beginning of the document, the word is found almost instantly. This is very frustrating, as I want to use the reader for study purposes, and the absence of a decent search function makes that impossible.

Does anyone else with a PRS 350 use the search function successfully, and is there any way to get it working correctly?
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does that happen with all epubs? I'm thinking maybe you have a badly formatted one. When I do a search through the end and select search from beginning of content, it's barely a second before the first word is found again on my 350.

Once you hit search the first time, you'll notice at the bottom left of the screen that you can search backwards too. Will searching back help your situation at all?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
It happens with every epub I have tried so far. Also, I can't see any way of searching backwards. When I open the search function there's nothing to click or select at the bottom left of my screen.

On further playing around, I have found that if I do a search, and the word I'm looking for is found, THEN I'm given the option to continue searching for the same word, forwards or backwards, and it does it fine. However, I'm not given the option to search backwards or forwards initially, and if the search is unsuccessful, all that happens is as I have described above.

Last edited by skypilotpete; 09-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Yes, I can confirm that behaviour in every detail.
Tried it on EPUB and RTF - same glitch. This is indeed a BUG! Particularly the fact that the search function seems to hang with "searching..." displayed in the status bar.

I don't need the search function so I never recognized that bug.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wonder if my not having the bug has something to do with the firmware version and that I have PRS+ installed. I just recently upgraded to Sony's newest firmware, and then upgraded PRS+ to v. 2.0.13.
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I for example have the newest firmware on the 350 with PRS+. And the bug. It's clearly reproducible with EPUBs and RTFs.

Test it like this:

- go to let's say 3rd page
- choose a word there which is very uncommon in the book
- go to let's say last page
- search for the word (which should of course not be on the page)
- reader suggests to begin searching on the first page. Say "yes"
- reader will stick with the message on the statubar "searching..."

You can search for a word which isn't in the book at all. For example "qqqqq". Same behaviour. After suggesting to seach from the beginning reader will stick on "searching...".

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 09-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

When I tried searching for "qqqqq" the first time, it hung like you said after selecting search from beginning (however, I admit I gave it very little time to complete that try), but I was able to re-enter anything new in the search area, it wasn't locked up. However using normal words, such as "grasp", and then I tried just "qq", it worked perfectly, finding "grasp" on a page before I started within a second or 2, and bringing up a message that "qq" was not found. And then I retried "qqqqq" and it worked perfectly that time as it should when restarting from the beginning, popped up the not found message.

Perhaps it's getting stuck on certain words then?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Analogus
Fanatic

ad "hanging":
No, the reader doesn't freeze. It just displays the message "searching..." for an infinite time without intervention. But you can "interrupt" that state whenever you want. It does just NOTHING. No search as well.

ad "reenter":
Same behaviour. But that doesn't help for the general (faulty) behaviour doesn't change.

What I and the thread starter aren't unable to do, and what (obviously) you can, is to search for a word which does exist, but on a former pager. I'm unable to search for the word "grasp" if it only exists in a page BEFORE the current page.
No chance, no workaround.

If "grasp" is found on a page AFTER the current page, you are possible to find "grasp" on a page BEFORE the current. But just in that case.

The only way to be shure a word exists is to scroll to the FIRST page and then starting the search. Very inconvenient.

A.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Please check with original Sony FW, if you are using PRS+.
Therefor restart the Reader while connected to USB. You will start in "Safe-Mode" - without PRS+
Is there any other output?
If not, then this is a bug in the SonyFW, which we could try to patch. But no guarantee.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I'm at a loss why it's doing it for you and not for me. It did hang briefly that one time as I said, but working fine otherwise finding any word from the beginning of the book after selecting "search from beginning of content". Just to verify, I'm using Sony firmware 1.0.00.14080, and PRS+2.0.13beta v2.

Hopefully more people will post if they're having problems or not and can possibly pinpoint why it happens for some but not for others or at least an explanation when they're identical readers with identical firmware.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Analogus
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Please check with original Sony FW, if you are using PRS+.
Already done. Same behaviour.

Facts:
- Model: PRS350 (blue); PRS350 (silver)
- Sony FW: 1.0.00.14080 (on board at delivery)
- PRS+ 2.0.14 beta; PRS+ 2.0.13 beta
- tested with: EPUB, RTF, PDF: same glitch
- removed PRS+ & firmware reset: same glitch

A.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic

Update:

@skypilotpete:

quisvir from the PRS+ team has fixed the searching bug. You would need to install the latest custom build from PRS+.

I've tested it for my PRS350 and it works quite well. Searching function seems to be fixed. If you are interested an don't know how to make a custom build from PRS+ just ask.

A.

PS.: Thank you quisvir!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

For those who have experienced this bug, the newest version of PRS+ now has it fixed. I never had the bug (I wonder if it happened depending on which country you downloaded the firmware from possibly?), but Analogus said the custom build worked, so I have every faith that the normal installation of PRS+ will work as well.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post

I've tested it for my PRS350 and it works quite well. Searching function seems to be fixed. If you are interested an don't know how to make a custom build from PRS+ just ask.
Umm, how do I make a custom build from PRS+? Thanks!
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
Umm, how do I make a custom build from PRS+? Thanks!
It is included in 2.0.15rc, you do not need a custom build to have this fixed.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote