Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 to PRS-950 Upgrade Comments

As I posted previously, I'm considering upgrading from a PRS-505 to a PRS-650 or PRS-950.

I've been very happy with my PRS-505, except that my 58-year old eyes could use a larger screen, and I've often wished it handled PDF better.

From my research here, it seems that both the PRS-650 and the PRS-950 offer great backward compatibility for my library and library software (Calibre), continue the fine construction standards of the PRS-505 and address my two small complaints (although I still sense that PDF is not any ereader's strong suit).

Can any one offer comments or observations?

Thanks.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Galan-Ithaca
Galan-Ithaca began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader; Sony PRS900; Sony PRS950
I can't speak for the 650, but the 950 is recognized as having the best PDF support of any brand name ereader, period. It has a new Adobe version of something that interprets and manipulates (reflows) pdfs better than previous Sony models as well.
Galan-Ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan-Ithaca View Post
I can't speak for the 650, but the 950 is recognized as having the best PDF support of any brand name ereader, period. It has a new Adobe version of something that interprets and manipulates (reflows) pdfs better than previous Sony models as well.
I'm glad to hear that. I can't wait to pick myself up a 950 (as an upgrade from my 505).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The 950 PDF support (and also the 650) is much better than the 505. You can zoom in on the page. There is a special quadrant view for multicolumn PDFs that make it easier to move around the page. You can change screen contrast and brightness. You can crop white space margin around the page. I like the extra inch of the 7 inch screen. Since I read in mostly Small size, I can fit the whole page on the screen (and rely less on PDF reflow of the text which sometimes affects formatting).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the comments. The 950 sounds very promising! I hope to see one locally soon, but all the stores are currently out of stock due to Holiday sales.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm so mad at myself for not getting one while they were on sale - I wouldn't have been able to pick it up, though, until February, and I figured that they'd perhaps go on sale again by then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will go on sale for valentine's day.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
flake
flake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: prs950, prs-t1
I was in your situation not just 2 weeks ago. Took the plunge and traded in my 505 and got the 950 (interestingly, 505 was valued at $60 and the newer 600 was $54). I am not missing my 505 :-).

To read PDF is now much better. The screen is more 'satisfying' and the speed is faster than the 505. I normally read the PDF docs in landscape mode. The pages are broken to 3 parts and mostly very readable without having to zoom and reflow. I haven't used the column mode zoom yet, but I think it's going to be good too.

However, for PDF, I feel the reader does not 'disappear', unlike when reading novels (epub). But still very good and comfortable. Oh.. And I have used the contrast setting on a PDF doc today, and I think that feature is also really useful.
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flake View Post
However, for PDF, I feel the reader does not 'disappear', unlike when reading novels (epub). But still very good and comfortable. Oh.. And I have used the contrast setting on a PDF doc today, and I think that feature is also really useful.
I have one DRM'ed PDF that I just can't use on my 505. The text is too light to read comfortably without making the font a size that is then too big for my preferences. By using a combination of the new custom contrast and brightness settings, I can finally read this book on my 950. That makes me happy!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've read a couple of PDF's where a darkened screen has helped a lot.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Also near your age and needing bifocals -- upgrading from a 505 to the 950 was a no-brainer. Ease of reading has improved greatly due to screen contrast and size. Touch screen is a very nice feature.

I've found that using the Boroda 950 firmware also helped improve EPUB readability and reader functionality.
http://translate.google.com/translat...D15576&act=url

Last edited by gardenstate; 01-19-2011 at 11:50 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote