Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

Ooooh - I love risotto and I love asparagus!

You know the rule - if you mention a recipe you have to post it!
sorry, i didn't make this one myself (it was yummy though, and it wouldn't be hard to make it ; just make mushroom risotto, but put asparagus instead of mushrooms. ).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
sorry, i didn't make this one myself (it was yummy though, and it wouldn't be hard to make it ; just make mushroom risotto, but put asparagus instead of mushrooms. ).
Thanks Zelda - I'll give it a go!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
seriously this is going to drive me crazy. would someone mind exlaining to me exactly how they got the acsm link that can then be opened manually with ade ? just for my own peace of mind, because i swear i'll be up all night trying to understand this otherwise, especially as i'm not usually "internet challenged".
I saved the acsm file, and then opened it in Sony Library. It worked.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
I think Zelda pirated that risotto!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I saved the acsm file, and then opened it in Sony Library. It worked.
but HOW did you get teh acsm file ??? for the, the only button in that page is a flash animation, so i can't right click / save link, so i can't get the acsm link anywhere.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I think Zelda pirated that risotto!
i'll stop at nothing for asparagus risotto !
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
but HOW did you get teh acsm file ??? for the, the only button in that page is a flash animation, so i can't right click / save link, so i can't get the acsm link anywhere.
I'm using Firefox, and I think I have it set to always ask whether to "save as" or "open with".
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Is it really a PDF or Epub?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #24
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
seriously this is going to drive me crazy. would someone mind exlaining to me exactly how they got the acsm link that can then be opened manually with ade ? just for my own peace of mind, because i swear i'll be up all night trying to understand this otherwise, especially as i'm not usually "internet challenged".
Click on the second link on the page (after the "make sure you install" blurb, is the one that says "and then click here...", more or less).

Thaat will then try to download the .acsm file - I had to tell IE to allow popups, then tell it to download the file (in the upper bar that shows when IE is being obnoxious about security). Try right--click and save as, if that doesn't work (since I can't remember where you undo the automatic actions for this file type). Save the file somewhere you can find. Then "open" or "run" it - at that point I had no problems at all and the book downloaded (slowly).

I'd also try setting your internet settings very, very low (and turn off any firewall/blocking software). Open up just the one web page, get the file, then put all your settings back the way they belong.

FWIW, I found that these work a lot better now that I disabled the association with .ACSM that Sony set up. Now I am prompted to save the file and I then re-associated the open with ADE. At least if I get an error message, I can see what it is (Sony just reports an error, but gives no details at all).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Is it really a PDF or Epub?
PDF that requires ADE.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
PDF that requires ADE.

Thanks. I think I'll skip it in that case.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Click on the second link on the page (after the "make sure you install" blurb, is the one that says "and then click here...", more or less).

Thaat will then try to download the .acsm file - I had to tell IE to allow popups, then tell it to download the file (in the upper bar that shows when IE is being obnoxious about security). Try right--click and save as, if that doesn't work (since I can't remember where you undo the automatic actions for this file type). Save the file somewhere you can find. Then "open" or "run" it - at that point I had no problems at all and the book downloaded (slowly).

I'd also try setting your internet settings very, very low (and turn off any firewall/blocking software). Open up just the one web page, get the file, then put all your settings back the way they belong.

FWIW, I found that these work a lot better now that I disabled the association with .ACSM that Sony set up. Now I am prompted to save the file and I then re-associated the open with ADE. At least if I get an error message, I can see what it is (Sony just reports an error, but gives no details at all).
thanks for this very detailed explanation. i deleted all file associations for acsm files and made sure my browser was set to ask for any downloads. but i get the feeling i'm not actually going to the same page as everyone else. in the mail, i got this link : http://www.bibliovault.org/cgi-bin/D...sePCnuyyXCgXC_

which takes me to this page :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piracy1.png
Views:	154
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	44759

i click on the giant adobe button (which is a flash animation, so no way to right click / save as). ADE opens, then firefox (or chrome, or ie, or opera...) tries to load a new page, and i get this error :
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piracy2.png
Views:	162
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	44760

in other words, i get an error instead of / before downloading the acsm file.

never mind. a kind soul has provided me with the book, and i am just going to write off the University of Chicago as a bad job. i'm tempted to send them a little email pointing out the irony of their use of drm resulting in my "piracy" of a book about piracy, but i'm not sure i feel like expending any more energy on the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm using Firefox, and I think I have it set to always ask whether to "save as" or "open with".
me too, and me too. gaa, whatever, University of Chicago ! i'm officially giving up now.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #28
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Irony was too much

Took me about 3 minutes of looking around to find directions to strip the DRM. I am not going to put it up anywhere, but I want to read it on my kindle. Seriously, why even put DRM on a file if it takes 5 minutes and no-programing ability to strip it.

I do like the idea of different price levels depend on the amount of time you want to read it. $5 for 30 days, half price for six month and full price for a full purchase. If Amazon had that I would be "renting" a lot more books. I share an Amazon account with several people but as far as I can tell no one reads any of my books.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #29
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Zelda,

I suspect part of the problem is being in France. However, I also received an error message when I clicked on the link (my first page was different, as it detected ADE as bein installed). When I closed that error page, however, at the top of IE there was a "download file being blocked" banner, which I clicked and then it allowed me to save the ACSM file.

ADE is a pain - at least the one from Random House Australia downloaded without a hitch this month - last month it was offline with one problem after another for over a week and then when it came back up, it took several tries to get it downloaded and installed (various licensing error messages).

Given the experience with EPUB/PDF via ADE that most people get, perhaps the iPad will prove popular. The ease of buying, installing and getting on with reading has been behind a lot of the success of the Kindle.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #30
oddly bodkins
Enthusiast
oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro, Palm Zire 72, IPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

Ooooh - I love risotto and I love asparagus!

You know the rule - if you mention a recipe you have to post it!
OT (sorry) There is a really good one here:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/asparagus_risotto/
oddly bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote