Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Feb 1st (Seems still available): Get PIRACY e-book free from the U of Chicago Press

I've received this email about the book Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates by Adrian Johns.

It seems will be free only today (Feb 1st)

The link is http://pressuchicago.qm4.net/a/0/124...6/default.aspx

You have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to be able to download it.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by pedgarcia; 02-02-2010 at 08:54 AM.
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedgarcia View Post
I've received this email about the book Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates by Adrian Johns.

It seems will be free only today (Feb 1st)

The link is http://pressuchicago.qm4.net/a/0/124...6/default.aspx

You have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to be able to download it.

Regards

Paulo
Thanks, but no thanks. If it weren't DRM'ed (must have ADE to download), I would have gotten a copy.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. If it weren't DRM'ed (must have ADE to download), I would have gotten a copy.....
Given the subject matter, it's tempting to download it just to remove the DRM and email it back to them
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I recommend "Against Intellectual Monopoly", which can be freely downloaded at
http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/genera...ainstfinal.htm
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
has anyone managed to download this at all ? i keep getting an error and i can't tell whether it's just because the server is overloaded or whether their crazy flash "install / verify ADE and *then* download the file automagically" button is borked. the summary of the book looks interesting. ironic that i can't manage to download a free copy of a book about piracy, because of drm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Given the subject matter, it's tempting to download it just to remove the DRM and email it back to them
heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I recommend "Against Intellectual Monopoly", which can be freely downloaded at
http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/genera...ainstfinal.htm
that looks like an interesting read as well, pablo, thank you for the link.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
The download page is a little bit weird. I had ADE installed but I clicked on the Install button anyway, since I didn't see a download button anywhere else.

After opening the ADE, the browser showed the usual download window and then I could save it.

I'm not sure whether this book is a good reading, but the subject is interesting, and the fact that it has DRM really doesn't bother me.

Regards

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedgarcia View Post
The download page is a little bit weird. I had ADE installed but I clicked on the Install button anyway, since I didn't see a download button anywhere else.

After opening the ADE, the browser showed the usual download window and then I could save it.

I'm not sure whether this book is a good reading, but the subject is interesting, and the fact that it has DRM really doesn't bother me.

Regards

Paulo
wow, that is really annoying. i also clicked the "install" button since that's the only bleeding button in the page, although i already have ADE installed. ADE launches, and i can see the page is trying to charge the next link (that would be the book download), and then... error. "The connection has failed. Firefox cannot establish a connection with the server at the address press-bv2.uchicago.edu:8080." i've now tried several times at a few hours interval, using firefox, chrome, IE (just in case) and opera. no joy. farking drm, i swear to god.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, that is really annoying. i also clicked the "install" button since that's the only bleeding button in the page, although i already have ADE installed. ADE launches, and i can see the page is trying to charge the next link (that would be the book download), and then... error. "The connection has failed. Firefox cannot establish a connection with the server at the address press-bv2.uchicago.edu:8080." i've now tried several times at a few hours interval, using firefox, chrome, IE (just in case) and opera. no joy. farking drm, i swear to god.

Calm down, Queen Z! I recommend a mushroom casserole and a glass of a modest Bordeaux, followed by some chocolate.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Calm down, Queen Z! I recommend a mushroom casserole and a glass of a modest Bordeaux, followed by some chocolate.....
hm, that sounds delicious, but i just had some asparagus risotto and a glass of modest fitou (and now i'm having another glass of that, and after that i'll probably have tea).

i'm still cranky about the book, though.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am not giving my email address to get a PDF file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I ended up downloading the link in Chrome - then did an Open with.. ADE and it came down just fine.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am not giving my email address to get a PDF file.
Use a throwaway one if it's something you want. I have one that I use for anyplace I don't trust and I don't care about their emails. It gets tons of spam every day and I don't care because I only check it when looking for specific items like the link for the book.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Confusing interface, but I got it at once after I manually opened ADE. Looks like an interesting read.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, that sounds delicious, but i just had some asparagus risotto....

Ooooh - I love risotto and I love asparagus!

You know the rule - if you mention a recipe you have to post it!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Confusing interface, but I got it at once after I manually opened ADE. Looks like an interesting read.
seriously this is going to drive me crazy. would someone mind exlaining to me exactly how they got the acsm link that can then be opened manually with ade ? just for my own peace of mind, because i swear i'll be up all night trying to understand this otherwise, especially as i'm not usually "internet challenged".