Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
My Kindle totally locks up now and again (K3 Keyboard)

Recently my K3 Keyboard has been totally locking on the ScreenSaver for no apparent reason?

I can be reading it one night, lock it, go to sleep and try and read it the next day and it won't budge from the ScreenSaver until I plug it into the wall for a while. It then does a full reboot (with the progress bar scrolling) and appears to be normal.

I have done the 20 hour recharge and still it appears to do the same, it doesn't happen all the time, just now and again.

I am on the latest firmware and I am jailbroken with NiLuJe's Jailbreak and a screensaver hack.

It has worked fine up till about 2 weeks ago when it started doing this, I haven't changed anything in this time?

Anyone have any ideas!

Cheers

Stewart

Oh, and Merry Christmas (or Insert whichever religious festival you celebrate in your part of the world)

Last edited by StuMcBill; 12-24-2012 at 09:13 PM.
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
Recently my K3 Keyboard has been totally locking on the ScreenSaver for no apparent reason?

I can be reading it one night, lock it, go to sleep and try and read it the next day and it won't budge from the ScreenSaver until I plug it into the wall for a while. It then does a full reboot (with the progress bar scrolling) and appears to be normal.

I have done the 20 hour recharge and still it appears to do the same, it doesn't happen all the time, just now and again.

I am on the latest firmware and I am jailbroken with NiLuJe's Jailbreak and a screensaver hack.

It has worked fine up till about 2 weeks ago when it started doing this, I haven't changed anything in this time?

Anyone have any ideas!

Cheers

Stewart

Oh, and Merry Christmas (or Insert whichever religious festival you celebrate in your part of the world)
Time to order a new battery.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
That's very similar to the one I returned after much testing and soul searching. Never truly figured out why.

Hope you get it sorted. Merry Chrimblage to you too
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies!

Would returning it fully to stock help any do you think?

Is there anyway I can do that? The de-bricking guide? Does that install a fully stock firmware?

It just did it again (but I managed to reset it with a Long Hold of the power slider) and the battery is still showing full, so I don't think its a battery problem, its holding a charge!

Cheers

Stewart

Edit,

Just done a full factory reset, see if that helps any!

Last edited by StuMcBill; 12-29-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
When mine died. nothing seemed to help. It just became intermittently flaky, and then one day just locked up never to respond again.

I hope yours works out.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Its weird, it only seems to do it when its been idle for a couple of days!

If its toast I might try the debricking guide and see if it makes any difference?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keep the battery charged.

If the battery is aging to the point that it can only hold a small amount of charge, then trying to re-flash the firmware (a very power hungry procedure) would be a big mistake.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Also, "round up the usual suspects".

One of these is to check to see if the Kindle's search indexing is having problems with one of the books. When this happens the processor runs full tilt until if finishes the indexing. When it can't finish it will run the battery down quickly, a few days to a week with a new battery and perhaps only a day with a aged lower capacity battery.

Do the following:
  1. Wait several hours after adding a book to the Kindle.
  2. Put the Kindle on the AC adapter or be certain the battery is fully charged
  3. Go to the Home screen
  4. Type some garbage characters (e.g. "qqzz", ...) that won't be in any book
  5. Select "Search"
  6. Wait...
  7. Wait...
When the screen appears reporting the search results it will list the number of un-indexed books, if any. If there are un-indexed books click on the number and see if it will list the books. If so, delete those books and test the Kindle for a few days. If battery life improves, add the deleted books one at a time over several days, repeating the above to see if the indexing goes correctly this time.

My K3 has chocked on books several times over the last 2+ years. I notice this when battery life seem to be extremely short. Deleting the book and reloading it has, so far, always worked to resolve the issue.

At 2+ years of daily use my battery life has dropped a bit. I've noticed that I need to charge every 2-3 weeks these days, when originally I could go 4-5 weeks between charges. This type of battery looses capacity after time and usage. Initially, this loss of capacity will be gradual but at some point toward the end of its usefullness its capacity will start to drop off very quickly. When that happens, you need a new one.

Last edited by dwig; 01-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Good advice, should have mentioned it myself.