Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #21496
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Holy mindreader, batwoman.......how did you guess? No. Because I don't want to. Which is probably why I get so upset when I see others on a trail......"hey you kids! Get off my lawn!"

Got the small flashlight, fits on the belt. This one: the QV7
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...89&cat=52&ap=1

More than I'll need, I'm sure, but handy. And Stitchawl? The WOODS? I'm in the desert mountains. Just some scrub ironwoods and a few other oversized bushes........however, your advice is sound and those three items go in my daypack next.....thank you.
because I KNOW these things!
it may not rain there, but you do get freezing temps at night, right?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #21497
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
because I KNOW these things!
it may not rain there, but you do get freezing temps at night, right?

Yes, which is why I intend to follow Stitchawals advice. Also, we do have rain, and when it comes usually flash flood come along with it. You can clearly see the paths on the trails.... I know to stay clear. And I know that even what looks like shallow water can sweep you away in a heartbeat. Amazing how many people here try to cross that 'little stream' and have to be rescued......in town!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Are you ready for this? The flashlight is not so much for finding your way as it is for psychological comfort when stranded... although it will help you if you need to walk in the dark. Personally, when I get stuck in a strange area after dark, I just hole up and wait until morning. I figure it's better than twisting an ankle trying to find my way out.

And Stitchawl? The WOODS? I'm in the desert mountains. Just some scrub ironwoods and a few other oversized bushes.......
We used to hike in the Angles National Forest and in the Sierras. Probably the same sort of 'high desert.' Scrub brush, creosote bushes (which REALLY burn hot and long!) the occasional Ponderosa, Sugar, or Jeffery Pine standing alone (three of their cones will burn for about 30 minutes, hot enough to boil water,) etc. Just be sure to stay out of the dry stream beds at night time... Ya never know what was going on, weather-wise, 50 miles upstream.

Stitchawl[/QUOTE]

Creosote and scrub brush, yes, but not a single Ponderosa, Sugar or Jeffrey or any other kind of pine in the White Tanks.......course, I haven't gotten to the top........yet.........
The only time you'll see me there after dark is with a Ranger guided group, or if I've really screwed up......then at least the flashlight will let me see whats about to eat me!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #21498
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
DGma, I am so glad to hear from you again, and to hear that you are getting out and about in a safe and sensible manner. You mentioned that your phone takes pictures, so please figure out how to post some of them here. It's been forty-plus years since I was down Arizona way and drove the Apache Trail. I'd love to have my memory refreshed.

Pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #21499
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Seriously, get a head lamp. It allows you to light your path and have both hands free. Or have light on whatever it is you need while having both hands free. Say, if you fall and hurt yourself and need both hands to treat the wound and night is falling. You can get headlamps at LL Bean, Rei, and every other outdoors store.

If you want to be really anal, you can get a steripen. They use UV light to purify water and are the size of a pen. Light weight, easy water filtration.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #21500
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you want to be really anal, you can get a steripen. They use UV light to purify water and are the size of a pen. Light weight, easy water filtration.
How about a 15nm filter in a water bottle. It removes at least 99.9999% bacteria and at least 99.99% viruses, also (of course) any larger pathogens.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #21501
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
DGma, I am so glad to hear from you again, and to hear that you are getting out and about in a safe and sensible manner. You mentioned that your phone takes pictures, so please figure out how to post some of them here. It's been forty-plus years since I was down Arizona way and drove the Apache Trail. I'd love to have my memory refreshed.

Pholy
You wouldn't recognize the place. The scenery up in the White Tanks is why I go.....in part. Will try to find the appropritate thread to post pics.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Seriously, get a head lamp. It allows you to light your path and have both hands free. Or have light on whatever it is you need while having both hands free. Say, if you fall and hurt yourself and need both hands to treat the wound and night is falling. You can get headlamps at LL Bean, Rei, and every other outdoors store.

Gotcha. Thanks PC............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #21502
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Steri Pen is smaller so it is a nice addition to a survival pack for day hikes. And it is alot less expensive. Damn those bottles are expensive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #21503
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Ditto on the head lamp suggestion! Since the light always points in the direction you're walking (assuming you put it on correctly ) - it's a lot less tiring than having to hold your hand/arm up and keep it steady - if you have a long ways to walk. Or if you're carrying something ... or using a crutch.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #21504
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Perhaps we need to go back to simpler times. There is something not right when I get an e-mail from my wife... who is sitting 2 meters away from me...

Stitchawl
Ha! My wife finds it easier to phone me when dinner's ready—and I'm in the bedroom on the computer!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #21505
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd like to rant about how December 21 is supposed to be the end of the world. Why do they try and keep our hopes up with an end of the world spiel when they know very well it won't happen. Very disappointing !
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #21506
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well, if it happens, we'll miss Christmas. ;(
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #21507
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm certainly not buying any presents till the 22nd, just in case.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #21508
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The WOODS? I'm in the desert mountains. Just some scrub ironwoods and a few other oversized bushes........however, your advice is sound and those three items go in my daypack next.....thank you.
You don't need trees to be in the woods, just as you don't need small pieces of wood to be in the sticks.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #21509
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Ha! My wife finds it easier to phone me when dinner's ready—and I'm in the bedroom on the computer!
When we moved to northern Thailand from Japan, we moved into 'Tara.' At least, that's what I called it. After the teeny tiny little Japanese apartments, we decided to rent what I would call an estate... Three bedrooms, each larger than our entire apartment in Japan. Living room large enough to play half court basket ball, dinning room that could seat 20, a kitchen as large as the bedrooms... two and a half floors, three verandas, etc., etc., etc. ($400 USD a month including the live-in housekeeper and gardener.) We had to install an intercom system so we could locate each other!!!

After 6 months, we moved out, back into a nice cozy condo... Much nicer.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #21510
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yup, me too!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness