Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #76
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Based on the Verge video, I think the 7" Nook HD looks pretty nice. The design is a little more distinctive than it seems at first glance, kind of lozenge-y and retro-modern. I kind of prefer it to the 9" with industrialized dork hole. The NHD would definitely be my pick of the current crop of 7" tablets IF some smooth ICS/JB custom ROMs are developed for it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #77
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
For those who will be sharing their tablets with children, the new Nook tablets will have user profiles so a parent can customize what type of content they want their children to access without having to create a separate B&N user account for them. That sounds like a huge plus to me. If they sold them up here in Canada, I'd be tempted.
Isn't Kindle FreeTime the same as this?
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #78
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Isn't Kindle FreeTime the same as this?
I don't know. They don't sell the Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet here in Canada. I'm going by a review I read by Nate Hoffedler (here) that discusses this feature.

According to his review:
Quote:
The feature that really impressed me was the new multi-user accounts setup. While the new Kindle Fire has ways for parents to lockdown the device before handing it to a kid, Barnes & Noble’s new tablets have a full blown account management system. You can have up to 6 accounts on a tablet, and each account can have full or partial access to the various parts of the Nook Store.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #79
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
It looks like to me they are both similar in nature.

Quote:
A parent could restrict their kid from accessing the web, app store, adult books, and so on. They can also buy content and assign it to one of the other accounts, and that is a feature that any parent who is concerned about inappropriate content will love. Each of the accounts will have a personalized home screen which only shows the content which user wants to access.

..from the digital reader
Quote:
With Kindle FreeTime, parents can set daily limits for Kindle Fire HD use, or restrict certain categories - like games and video - while leaving unlimited time for reading.

When kids use Kindle FreeTime, it's like they have their very own, personalized tablet. The background color and fonts change to a kid-friendly design. They only see the titles that they have access to see. The home screen carousel shows their recently viewed titles. And, they can even navigate visually to content based on characters or topics - for example "Cinderella," "Dinosaurs," or "Puppies."

...from Amazon product page
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #80
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I was pretty unexcited about adding a tablet to my gadget mix ...til these were announced.

Obviously, would like to see them in store first, but on their face I like the design, specs, and already have an existing NOOK. Some concerns over the stronger lock-in and proprietary connectors.

But that just seems to be the way the industry is trending for all types of devices (tablets, ereaders, phones, music players). Rather than continually earning brand loyalty through superior products and service, they all (Amazon, Apple, B&N, etc) seem to put roadblocks in the way that make jumping ship have major disincentives.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #81
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
It also doesn't mention that the Nexus 7 has Bluetooth.
It's not JUST missing bluetooth my friend but also a host of other things besides which they FAILED to mention.

1. GPS with fully integrated google maps- STILL the best mapping system and most used on any tablet- just compare it to Apples latest abomination which should of been terminated at birth

2. 1.3 Mp front facing camera for webcaming via skype & others

3. TEGRA 3 - 12 core GPU - the most supported android mobile gaming graphics cpu bar none for super smooth gaming,pages load quickly, gameplay is smooth and responsive, and running multiple apps is a breeze

All the most powerful android tablets and phones are packing this beast these days.

4. voice recognition software so you can do handy things like not even have to type messages as u can just dictate what you want to write.

4.bluetooth- speakers ,keyboard and other items.

5.Quad-core CPU that rivals a number of other tablets costing more than twice as much and delivers a very consistent ,fast and enjoyable experience.

6. OVER 600,000 apps and games available on Google Play compared to Barnes & nobbles how many ??

With over 25 BILLION downloads which is easily rivaling Apples App store

7. the latest and FASTEST android OS JELLYBEAN 4.1.1 +web browser on any tablet - chrome

8. mirco USB hosting - allowing you to connect ALL of your USB devices via a OTG cable.
Unlimited storage via a OTG cable and a App with a total cost of less than $4 allowing you access to any USB memory stick/memory card/ portable hard drive

9..Accelerometer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

10 Gyroscope

12.Magnetometer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetometer

13.microphone

Apart from all that it looks ok
The nexus 7 was sold out on release in both the UK and the USA.Will the same thing happen with the new barns buster ?
I would happily place a wager on it if any one has some money to throw away

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #82
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
It's not JUST missing bluetooth my friend but also a host of other things besides which they FAILED to mention.
8. mirco USB hosting - allowing you to connect ALL of your USB devices via a OTG cable.
Unlimited storage via a OTG cable and a App with a total costing less than $4 allowing you access to any USB memory stick/memory card/ portable hard drive
Yes, I have a Nexus 7 and love it (using Tapatalk on it now). My comment on the Bluetooth was just related to what the chart had. It showed that the Nook had Bluetooth, but didn't have the same note on the Nexus 7 and I suspect the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has it as well.

As far as the OTG hosting, I'm pretty sure that requires rooting... something that's easy to do with the Nexus 7, but it's not really an our of the box feature.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #83
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Yes, I have a Nexus 7 and love it (using Tapatalk on it now). My comment on the Bluetooth was just related to what the chart had. It showed that the Nook had Bluetooth, but didn't have the same note on the Nexus 7 and I suspect the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has it as well.

As far as the OTG hosting, I'm pretty sure that requires rooting... something that's easy to do with the Nexus 7, but it's not really an our of the box feature.
No need to root fellow nexus owner as mine is stock and can connect anything to it including memory sticks via the OTG cable .

You just need to buy a $2 app to access memory cards and portable hard drives
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

The people who write these blogs are funny at best as they only state the most obvious.i hope the fellow who wrote it is not getting paid as he did a poor job. I wonder where they dredge up these so called tech experts.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #84
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I have a Nexus 7 too, and like it so far. However, as a pure reading device, I honestly do not see reason for front camera, GPS or bluetooth.

If the device is for reading books, why all that? To me, weight, nice CPU and RAM to handle PDF or the reading app itself, are more important. Unless it will be the all around device that wil be also used for browsing and Internet.

But after so many years and several tablets, I keep going back to the iPad (for non eink, I still prefer eink as main technology for ebooks). I even bought the iPad3 recently. While not as portable as Nexus 7, Kindle Fire or new Nook HD, it has plenty of power and resolution to read from Kindle for iOs and PDFs via GoodReader.

And with Kindle PW coming, I will ... again ... have a super reading combo at home! Which makes me re-evaluate what reading gap the Nexus 7 will be fulfilling, if one.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-29-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Fixing some English typos
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #85
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I have a Nexus 7 too, and like it so far. However, as a pure reading device, I honestly do not see reason for front camera, GPS or bluetooth.

If the device is for reading books, why all that? To me, weight, nice CPU and RAM to handle PDF or the reading app itself, are more important. Unless it will be the all around device that wil be also used for browsing and Internet.

But after so many years and several tablets, I keep going back to the iPad (for non eink, I still prefer eink as main technology for ebooks). I even bought the iPad3 recently. While not as portable as Nexus 7, Kindle Fire or new Nook HD, it has plenty of power and resolution to read from Kindle for iOs and PDFs via GoodReader.

And with Kindle PW coming, I will ... again ... have a super reading combo at home! Which makes me re-evaluate what reading gap the Nexus 7 will be fulfilling, if one.
Sounds like you could of saved yourself some money if you just wanted a ebook reader then.
Why not have more for a change when so many company's are trying to sell you far less in there products for more money or the same amount.

I would say your in the minority when i comes to just using your nexus as a ebook reader when it's more than capable of doing so many different things.But thats what good about a fully speced tablet because you can choose what you use it for.

I use my nexus 7 for things like -
navigating while traveling ,tracking the distances,time taken,calories burnt when i go out for my evening walks each night ,ebook reading ,playing games,streaming movies and tv episodes from websites like NETFLIX,CATCHUP TV,BBC IPLAYER & others.
Talking to friends face to face thousands of miles away via skype.Finding new places to eat or go for a drink using google maps search.

Web browsing when im away from my PC ,streaming movies from my pc to the Nexus,keeping in touch will my friends across the world via yahoo hotmail,AOL ,facebook as well as keeping on top of my business emails.
Picking up single women on -plenty of fish ,baboo and date in Asia

All these extras you dont use are used by others on a day to day basis ,including me

The whole point of a true tablet is that its a multi-function device and the more gadgets there are inside it the more roles it can perform which the nexus 7 can do and some lesser tablets cant like the - kindle fire HD ,barns buster HD.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #86
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I don't want a multifunctional device. I believe in dedicated ones. They work well and better. For instance, my DSLR camera, instead of taking pictures with cellphone or iPad. Of course, this may not be your case.

I wanted to give Nexus 7 a try because at that time, we have no eink reader with integrated ligh technology. Yes, the Nook was there, but not quite the same (in theory) as Kindle PW plus is not an Amazon device.

I'm not totally disappointed, but bought it for reading, basically. However, using Internet is not bad. Same for YouTube and videos.

The Kindle PW does landscape mode... PLUS ... has integrated light on it. I'll tell you in a few days, if its as good as looks in videos. Then, my iPad 3 will be the perfect match, because will allow me to read PDFs and browse Internet, which is not suitable for eink or 6 inches devices.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #87
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
4.bluetooth- speakers ,keyboard and other items.
The Nook HD and HD+ have Bluetooth.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #88
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Indeed. This makes the Nook HD+ a very compelling option, $269 is a very good price for a 9" device - it has a decent CPU/GPU, superb screen (1920x1280) and very good battery life. Well, battery life is based on the info on the websites, we'll have to see if the claims hold true.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #89
Lord Mahoney
Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle Keyboard
I told you guys little birdie had promised something from B&N real soon.
Lord Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #90
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Indeed. This makes the Nook HD+ a very compelling option, $269 is a very good price for a 9" device - it has a decent CPU/GPU, superb screen (1920x1280) and very good battery life. Well, battery life is based on the info on the websites, we'll have to see if the claims hold true.
I'm pleasantly surprised and quite impressed at both Amazon and B&N upping the ante in this next round of devices.

I would've held off buying a Fire HD to wait for B&N's offerings to be announced except that the local B&N store closed down 8 months ago. I loved the in-store perks for those with nooks.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote