Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #256
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
BTW, it's worth noting that with USE_ALT_FONTS and with*out* /mnt/us/fonts, I do see some extra fonts displayed in the Aa dialog (presumably some builtins). So it clearly does something. I'm guessing the real problem here is that ;fc-cache isn't actually doing what I want.

Last edited by adamselene; 06-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #257
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@adamselene, try following file structure:
Code:
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Bold Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Bold.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Regular.ttf
I.e. put fonts (.ttf files) directly in the /mnt/us/fonts.

Also, KT must "reboot" automatically in 7-8 minutes after ;fc-cache entering (cache invalidating is slow and alt fonts are added to cache last of all). Only after this "rebooting" new fonts will be available ("rebooting" is not real rebooting, it's just restarting of framework, but it looks like rebooting).

Which version of firmware do you have?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #258
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
@adamselene, try following file structure:
Code:
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Bold Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Bold.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia Regular.ttf
I.e. put fonts (.ttf files) directly in the /mnt/us/fonts.

Also, KT must "reboot" automatically in 7-8 minutes after ;fc-cache entering (cache invalidating is slow and alt fonts are added to cache last of all). Only after this "rebooting" new fonts will be available ("rebooting" is not real rebooting, it's just restarting of framework, but it looks like rebooting).

Which version of firmware do you have?
I eventually figured out both of those things. Basically I just have to wait.

I also noticed that it only displays the first 2 or 3 fonts alphabetically—and since the builtin fonts it displays are HangulGothicMTC-Medium_E and HeiseiMaruG, this means that fonts later in the alphabet can't be used. (There's an obscure Russian page which mentions that the fonts have to start with A-G, but it doesn't actually say why. The dependency appears to be on the actual font name, embedded in the file, and not the file name.) This is slightly annoying for me, because the font I really want on the Kindle is Warnock Pro. (I did a mockup of some books with Warnock Pro embedded, and they look great!) Time to edit some .ttf files.

Firmware is 5.1.0.

Last edited by adamselene; 06-19-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #259
adamselene
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamselene View Post
This is slightly annoying for me, because the font I really want on the Kindle is Warnock Pro. (I did a mockup of some books with Warnock Pro embedded, and they look great!) Time to edit some .ttf files.
Alright, I used fontforge to change the name to Arnock Pro, and it works! Renders the same as embedding the font in the .epub and converting to KF8 with the embedded font.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #260
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Alright, I used fontforge to change the name to Arnock Pro, and it works! Renders the same as embedding the font in the .epub and converting to KF8 with the embedded font.
These electronic devices are getting almost human...
If they don't do what you want the first time - lie to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #261
adamselene
Enthusiast

Arno Pro also works pretty well. It's a little narrower, and running it one size larger gives about the same horizontal density as (W)arnock Pro, but with slightly lower vertical density. Both look quite nice. Also, BTW, both of them are actually .otf fonts.

Turns out it will display more than 3 fonts, as long as they all start with A-G. In one case I actually got it to display part of an I name (ITC Berkeley) after the builtin H names, so it seems to be indexing them, but has a very strange idea about what to display.

Overall, this strikes me as a very crufty and possibly unintentional hack. But hey, it works. Mostly.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #262
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Turns out it will display more than 3 fonts, as long as they all start with A-G. In one case I actually got it to display part of an I name (ITC Berkeley) after the builtin H names, so it seems to be indexing them, but has a very strange idea about what to display.
Alt fonts' names are displayed in one horizontal line in Aa window, so width of this line is a limiter for number of displayed fonts. I guess, if you'll give one-letter names (A to G) to your fonts' typefaces, you'll see more than 3-4 alt fonts in the Aa window.

Also, fonts' names are displayed in alphabetical order, aren't they? Does your case with ITC Berkeley contradicts with this observation?

All fonts in the /mnt/us/fonts are available in system after refreshing Fontconfig cache (i.e. ;fc-cache), so fonts with typface name starting from I-Z are "hidden" (i.e. displayed out of bounds of Aa window) only because of alphabetical order of displaying and not so wide single horizontal list "line".

Quote:
Overall, this strikes me as a very crufty and possibly unintentional hack. But hey, it works. Mostly.
This way isn't hack at all. It's a "stock feature". I mean, it was intentionally implemented by Amazon programmers, I've just discovered it.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #263
adamselene
Enthusiast

Quote:
Alt fonts' names are displayed in one horizontal line in Aa window, so width of this line is a limiter for number of displayed fonts. I guess, if you'll give one-letter names (A to G) to your fonts' typefaces, you'll see more than 3-4 alt fonts in the Aa window.
I thought that at first, but I currently have 6 fonts displaying in two lines in the window. I cannot explain how it decides what to display.

Quote:
Also, fonts' names are displayed in alphabetical order, aren't they? Does your case with ITC Berkeley contradicts with this observation?
No, it doesn't contradict the alphabetical ordering, but for some reason in that case it displayed two lines—the second with the builtin fonts and just part of the ITC Berkeley name trailing at the end.

Quote:
This way isn't hack at all. It's a "stock feature". I mean, it was intentionally implemented by Amazon programmers, I've just discovered it.
There are lots of things the software can do that are not advertised. This one is clearly not well tested.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #264
adamselene
Enthusiast

BTW, just to be clear, what it currently shows in the Aa dialog is:
() Serif () Sans () condensed
() Adobe Jenson Pro () Arno Pro () Arnock Pro
() Brioso Pro () Chaparral Pro () Garamond Premier P[cut off]
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #265
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
There are lots of things the software can do that are not advertised. This one is clearly not well tested.
I suspect that amazon intentionally removes things from the list of features that are known to have too many bugs to be useful to most users.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #266
KittyChuan
KittyChuan began at the beginning.

I accidentally found that Calisto MT looked sharp and clear on e-ink screen. It's an old style serif font with large x-height but easy to read. If you have Office 2007 installed you already have it on your computer. I uploaded it for the people who don't have and want to try it.
Font verision is 1.26 without any changes. Tested on KT with fonthack 1.3.1

[Mod: Attachment deleted. Please do not upload copyright material to MobileRead without the permission of the copyright holder.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calisto-mt-kt-fh-1.3.1.gif
Views:	410
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	88323  

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-26-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Copyright violation
KittyChuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #267
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...
$29.00 a copy (per font):
http://www.fonts.com/font/monotype-imaging/calisto
The owner would probably object to someone giving away enough copies for all the Kindles in the world.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #268
KittyChuan
KittyChuan began at the beginning.

That's my fault. I gave a little too much info about the font, or it would've not got deleted.
KittyChuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #269
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyChuan View Post
That's my fault. I gave a little too much info about the font, or it would've not got deleted.
No such luck at this site.
Site policy is to respect the Intellectual Property Rights of others and there are people here watching attachments for things like copyright theft.

If you have purchased an unlimited re-distribution license for this font, available at the link I posted, you should include a mention of that in your post and attach proof of the license agreement.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #270
adamselene
Enthusiast

Calisto isn't bad, but Warnock has a little better horizontal density without sacrificing any legibility.

Honestly, there are a zillion fonts, and you could spend an enormous amount of time wading through them without gaining much. At the size they're being rendered on a Kindle, most of the differences are very subtle—mostly you'll notice they have different aspect ratios and x-heights.

Generally speaking, a higher ratio of x-height to ascender height yields more readable bulk text, so that's what I look for. I also stick with only Pro fonts because they tend to have better hinting and kerning, and wider character sets.

Tags
kindle touch hacks