Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Larksong
Larksong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Borrowed books from Overdrive

My public library recently added ebooks through Overdrive. Looking at Overdrive's instructions, I'm told to install Adobe Digital Editions (already got it) and download a borrowed book to there, then upload to my Sony PRS-505. Trouble is, I don't use ADE to upload; I use Calibre. How does this work? Do I go ahead and upload from ADE, or can I port a library book from ADE to Calibre to load it from there? If so, what's the best way to do so?

And pardon my ignorance, but what actually happens to the file when the borrowing period is over? Does it disappear on its own, or just lock up?

I'd experiment on my own, but the number of books I can borrow at a time is limited, so I'd rather not use them up on experimentation.

Thank you!
Larksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You still need to download ADE to download books, and you also need to register your device with your local copy of ADE so that they share the same encryption keys. Assuming that the keys are identical (never tested that) you could then move the books over to your reader using Calibre.

Worst case just upload from ADE for just the library books, it's not like it will try to take over your reader.

When the books expire they just lock up, you need to manually delete them.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Just Add Book using Calibre after you've opened the acsm file in ADE. The location is going to be something like Users/Your name/My Documents/My Digital Editions if you didn't specify the location when you installed ADE. You won't be able to read the book with the Calibre reader, but you can add tags and series. The book will show expired on your Sony once the borrowing period expires.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Larksong
Larksong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you, Idolse and vulcan_girl! That's what I hoped I could do. Since I already have ADE, and my device is already authorized, I should be in good shape for borrowing through my local library.
Larksong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, calibre, library ebooks, library epub, overdrive