Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
juantxu3
juantxu3 began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
New firmware Cool-er COOLER-vfat-eb600em-0203 5th February

http://www.coolreaders.com/downloads/fw/

juantxu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
lilila
lilila began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, Netronix EB600
thanks. I'm going to try it out soon.
lilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
opens to last book?

Do you know if it opens to the last book you were reading?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
The all-important question!
I'll be trying it out soon and let you know if no-one else does.

Just got it installed - I'm still checking a few things, but so far:
* NTX Reader / ebrmain version 1.12.10-1
* And we seem to have re-opening the last book where it left off!

Last edited by codeMonkey; 02-06-2010 at 05:45 AM.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Thumbs up

Good thing to see NTX updating their stuff.

Maybe ipad announcement make them think they need good software to back their hardware up....

I will check if pdf support is better, really for a 400 MHZ CPU, it can't even does pdf better than my 324MHZ Nokia! Clearly it is the software not pushing it!!

Anyway, lets hope they keep on improving!
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Loccy
Loccy began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-ER
Had a bit of a nightmare getting this firmware on - the zip file wouldn't extract on my Mac at all. Ended up having to fire up a Windows virtual machine to do it. Then the COOL-ER didn't want to read the SD card - it took about three goes of formatting the SD, copying the files over, and trying the upgrade process. And whichever genius at Interead who decided to make the upgrade key combination one that requires three hands has a special place on my death list now.

Anyway, I finally got the thing on. Thoughts:

* the "remember last page" thing doesn't. It seems to put you in the vicinity, but is usually a few pages out. No big deal though.
* font sizing increments seem to work better
* page turning seems a little snappier

I still think the surrounding software for moving around the file system is appallingly clunky, though.
Loccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
mrvanes
mrvanes began at the beginning.

Device: COOL-ER
Pageturning does indeed feel (much!) snappier.
mrvanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
juantxu3

My cool-er updated shows now:
the carge the files for usb is more fast,
in general, everythings menus, the transitions are more fast
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
juantxu3

I updated in Mac and no problem.
I have two sd-cards: one works good and the other not.
When you unzip the firmware, you must put the files in the sd-card, no in a folder.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Loccy
Loccy began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
I will check if pdf support is better, really for a 400 MHZ CPU, it can't even does pdf better than my 324MHZ Nokia! Clearly it is the software not pushing it!!
PDFs are still a bit crap. Odd wrapping issue if you zoom to a comfortable text size, and the smallest zoom level - whereby page layout integrity is maintained - for some bizarre reason doesn't seem to use the entire screen. There's at least a inch border around the page so the font size is even smaller.

Quote:
I updated in Mac and no problem.
I have two sd-cards: one works good and the other not.
When you unzip the firmware, you must put the files in the sd-card, no in a folder.
I'm not that dim. I couldn't unzip the zip on my Mac - kept getting Error 36.
Loccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
last page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
Had a bit of a nightmare getting this firmware on - the zip file wouldn't extract on my Mac at all. Ended up having to fire up a Windows virtual machine to do it. Then the COOL-ER didn't want to read the SD card - it took about three goes of formatting the SD, copying the files over, and trying the upgrade process. And whichever genius at Interead who decided to make the upgrade key combination one that requires three hands has a special place on my death list now.

Anyway, I finally got the thing on. Thoughts:

* the "remember last page" thing doesn't. It seems to put you in the vicinity, but is usually a few pages out. No big deal though.
* font sizing increments seem to work better
* page turning seems a little snappier

I still think the surrounding software for moving around the file system is appallingly clunky, though.
I also have a Pocketbook 360 and with it I noted that it frequently doesn't actually open to the last page I was on. Apparently its related to the way the page numbers are set up, one "page" can be several screens long, it defaults to the start of the "page"

I never noted this with my Cool-er previously though. I will have to get a SD card to do the upgrade.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
juantxu3

I unzip the zip with the app "The unarchiver" and no problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
juantxu3

And yes, with this new firmware the cool-er already opens the last page of the last book.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #14
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Great news for Cool-er owners, this firmware carries Huge improvement on the device!
After update the firmware, I have found so far the following improvement:

Return of the loved Last page resume.

A lot faster interface browsing speed. Page refresh is a lot faster than before. Starting to feel like a 400 MHZ CPU powered system.

A lot faster in book page turning speed.

A lot faster in Horizontal to vertical (and back) page turn.

A lot better reflow in PDF document.

Pictured PDF enlargement in horizontal page: Say a page that originally fit ONE vertical page can now be chopped to around 3/5 displayed in a horizontal page and once pressing next page, the remaining is show in another 3/5 format! The fonts must be in 1/A but it is much more readble for comic pages! One step closer to my original idea of chop zoom.

However there are always room for improvement:

RTF reading still down, it works very well in old firmwares... don't know why it won't work now!

more visible shadow of previous page (fonts) in white areas.

.jpg can't zoom in half page horizontal like .pdf graphics files. If that can also be done in 3/5 chop or 1/3 chop in the future, it would be a great comic book reader

WE better write to them to press for more functions!

Fellow COolers, have you found any other new functions / improvements?

Last edited by jackau; 02-08-2010 at 04:09 AM.
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #15
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I'm holding off flashing my firmware while I read all of your comments... but I've been wondering, with the reinstatement of back to the last page read...

What will happen if the ebook is damaged, corrupt, whatever? Will it just loop repeatedly? I had this happen in the original firmware release... I think that's why they removed the facility in later firmware.

regards,
Pamela
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote