Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
john_es
Connoisseur
john_es began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre Server - read only?

I am setting up the headless calibre server on my machine. Is there a way to make that readonly? I just don't want people to be able to add/dlete books or metadata.
john_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre server does not allow adding/deleting/editing operations.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
john_es
Connoisseur
john_es began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Awesome - that was the answer I was hoping to see
john_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
aarcane
aarcane began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/stanza
Can the calibre server be configured to detect changes to the metadata and reload itself when they occur, since it can't make changes itself?
aarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The server does detect changes to metadata.db and reload itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre server does not allow adding/deleting/editing operations.
Why not? It can be quite convenient for uses that move quite often of location and want to upgrade their libraries.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
Why not? It can be quite convenient for uses that move quite often of location and want to upgrade their libraries.
1) Big (write) Security issues would need to be solved.
2) This is not as simple a task as you make it. any change a is a 'Transaction' a) DB Metadata change. b)1 or more Book format files written/changed. 3)Backup metadata written. (there might be more, I am not a Calibre developer)

To steal Kovid's line 'Patches are welcome'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) Big (write) Security issues would need to be solved.
2) This is not as simple a task as you make it. any change a is a 'Transaction' a) DB Metadata change. b)1 or more Book format files written/changed. 3)Backup metadata written. (there might be more, I am not a Calibre developer)

To steal Kovid's line 'Patches are welcome'

What about using a subset of CMIS?

Seriously, it's pure madness when you go to multiple computers and need to read a book or modify one, calibre-server doesn't support writing so the process is messy if you are remote (right?). What about an interoperatibility standard for ebook libraries?

A multi-user library server for Calibre could be useful, if it's strong enough and adopted as standard, ebook readers and other ebook managers could implement it.

You are right about patches, but I'm not so used to Python. I think Calibre must be improved in resource efficiency first, currently it's damn slow.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't expect a content server to have adding, deleting, or editing features any time soon. I don't believe the demand for this is high enough at present and there are multiple solutions that work around this issue.

Quote:
A multi-user library server for Calibre could be useful, if it's strong enough and adopted as standard, ebook readers and other ebook managers could implement it.
A multi-user server is on Kovid's todo list but currently there is no ETA on when it will be available. I don't know if or when the content server might reflect anything of the sort.

Quote:
I think Calibre must be improved in resource efficiency first, currently it's damn slow.
If you find calibre slow, you may want to open a new thread detailing where you run into slowness. For some areas it is easy to point out why and speed can be dramatically increased. I have a library with about 13000 entries and it did a cold open in 20 seconds.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
You are right about patches, but I'm not so used to Python. I think Calibre must be improved in resource efficiency first, currently it's damn slow.
Compared to what other ebook managers?

Some hints for speedup here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2244745
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote