Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
LG launches world’s first ‘Drag and Share’ mouse scanner

http://tech2.in.com/news/mice/lg-lau...scanner/256642

I mentioned it under "fast scanner" post by owly in General Discussions but I think it maybe useful to know for general public. I don't think I saw it mentioned at MR before, apologies if I'm wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/l...ouse-hands-on/

nifty!

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 12-07-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added another link
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
http://tech2.in.com/news/mice/lg-lau...scanner/256642

I mentioned it under "fast scanner" post by owly in General Discussions but I think it maybe useful to know for general public. I don't think I saw it mentioned at MR before, apologies if I'm wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/l...ouse-hands-on/

nifty!
I saw your mention in the other post, and I'm so glad you have started this thread! I would love to find out if anyone has had the chance to try it to scan books, and how well it works for that.

I found this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4LpLOx0j4 - and I think it looks very promising.

I have been waiting for the Ion Book Saver, which now has a projected release date of Spring 2012. I have also been considering trying one of the scanner wands like the VuPoint portable scanner, but I am concerned that it won't get the edges of the text, and that it may difficult to keep the scan from being skewed.

The use of optical tracking in this scanner mouse looks like it might resolve those issues.

It doesn't seem like it is available from any brick and mortar stores in the US yet. I did see it listed at Amazon, shipped and sold by a different merchant - http://www.amazon.com/LG-LSM-100-Sca.../dp/B0053T0HNI

If anyone tries this scanner mouse, please post a review.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My pleasure! Anyway I am 1 click away from ordering it from amazon.co.uk but it would be useful for ME and don't know how husband would find it for Christmas. Always prefer to think of the person on the receiving end and not get them things that I like...

but... but...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Thanks for the news. I was undecided about getting a mouse for my laptop, but now I'm going to buy this.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, handheld scanners, we had them in the early 90s I think?

Maybe with a mouse it solves some of the old problems (distortions, scan result would never fit), but I doubt it (distortion is not only due to positioning / software errors but also due to paper flexibility).

Either way I'm not sure if this is really useful for book scanning. Flatbet scanner or camera for me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My pleasure! Anyway I am 1 click away from ordering it from amazon.co.uk but it would be useful for ME and don't know how husband would find it for Christmas. Always prefer to think of the person on the receiving end and not get them things that I like...

but... but...
Would peer pressure help push you over the edge? Go ahead, you know you want to! It's just one little click! I'm sure your husband will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Thanks for the news. I was undecided about getting a mouse for my laptop, but now I'm going to buy this.
That's awesome Sil_liS. I hope you like it!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that it would take forever to scan a book, especially since you are supposed to crop each scan, but I needed to scan things occasionally. Now if only someone would mke this concept into reality:
Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
That's awesome Sil_liS. I hope you like it!
I live in the Netherlands and MyCom has it for 99.98 euros. I'll go to the shop, but if they don't have it there I'll just order online.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Well, handheld scanners, we had them in the early 90s I think?
Good point. If only technology had moved on since the 90's
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Dual function mouse scanners have been around for quite a while, remember a friend having one one around 2004. Then there's always the good ol optical mouse hacking... maybe 1 page per 15 min - blazing fast stuff!
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
blue_skies
Evangelist

Here's the promo video from LG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjG5...eature=related

I am wondering if I will be able to paste the text scans into Open Office rather than a Word document. I don't have MS Office and would rather not buy it.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Would peer pressure help push you over the edge? Go ahead, you know you want to! It's just one little click! I'm sure your husband will love it.
Now it will be your fault because I bought it!!!

I admit I showed it to my husband before ordering and we discussed his computer requirements. At least he knows what he is getting and he is happy with it. He was surprised how I found this thing and jokingly said I have too much time on my hands (at least sick leave is useful for something )
Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #13
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I have also been considering trying one of the scanner wands like the VuPoint portable scanner, but I am concerned that it won't get the edges of the text, and that it may difficult to keep the scan from being skewed.
It's easier than you'd think, but the use of a roller rather than optical technology is indeed an irritating design "feature".

I wrote up some stuff about vupoint scanners and book scanning here.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I have been waiting for the Ion Book Saver, which now has a projected release date of Spring 2012. I have also been considering trying one of the scanner wands like the VuPoint portable scanner, but I am concerned that it won't get the edges of the text, and that it may difficult to keep the scan from being skewed.
I have a VuPoint portable scanner, but I've barely used it. It's very difficult for me to roll it smoothly over a page of text and get a good result--I have to do several passes. Maybe if I used it more I would get a better feel for the thing.

This mouse device looks like it would be much easier to use, but I don't see the point of a scanner like this tethered to the computer. If it were a portable device, then I'd be salivating over it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Now it will be your fault because I bought it!!!

I admit I showed it to my husband before ordering and we discussed his computer requirements. At least he knows what he is getting and he is happy with it. He was surprised how I found this thing and jokingly said I have too much time on my hands (at least sick leave is useful for something )
Hey Chi Cygni, have you or your husband had a chance to try the mouse scanner?