Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Writing partner?

There was this other thing, and it really made me think. For awhile now, I've kind of half wondered how it would work to get a writing partner.
I have all these ideas and I write out the outline and a scene sketch (where I go through, scene by scene and describe what should take place), but sometimes I get bogged down by the things I don't know. I mean, I don't want to just hack it and write whatever, I want my stuff to be well-thought out and researched.
Is there anywhere I can look to find someone that really wants to write, but has a hard time coming up with ideas? I mean, I'm willing to do the bulk of the work--plot lines, characters, scene sketches, etc.
I don't know, I just think it would be nice to have a different "voice" to fall back on. But how do you find a co-author?
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
spacebrew
Enthusiast
spacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-350, Droid X2
That's funny, that's exactly opposite of how I write. I know the basic story I want to tell, but I don't plot at all. I put the characters in a situation and see how they come out of it themselves. If the characters themselves are well thought-out and realistic, they will find their own way out, and may actually surprise the writer himself.

Not sure what you're asking about a writing partner. "Someone that wants to write, but has a hard time coming up with ideas..." Are you looking for someone to write with, write for, or what?

I used to have a buddy with whom I'd get together occasionally for a "writers club meeting" where we were the only two members. At these meetings we would throw ideas around, harden storylines, edit chunks of writing for each other or just spend time talking about plotlines. Sometimes we would write. They were fun.
spacebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Everyone is different, I think it would take a serious search to come up with somebody I could work with and to have it come out a 50-50 partnership (at least for me) would be wishful thinking.

There are some days I find the time to crank on the keys for ten hours, then their are periods where other commitments get in the way and I can't type for three or four days.

Certainly another person's writing style within my mine would jump out.

Thus, for me, it just wouldn't work.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, this isn't an uncommon technique for publishing houses. Baen often partners big-name authors with newcomers, and I've been given to understand that much of the time one author writes the outline and the other writes the text.

Of course, collaborations of that nature are primarily a marketing ploy. I'm not sure how the authors involved feel about it.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I guess people do it.. but I could never imagine this working for me at least, not in either role.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just have so many stories going on in my head, you know? I have about 200 story outlines all sketched out and it makes me sad that I probably won't be able to get to them all in my lifetime, especially since more are popping up all the time. Plus, I have to worry that maybe all my stories sound the same, like all the protagonists end up being in the same "voice."

Since June of 2011 I've put out 4 full-length novels (100,000+), 4 novellas (30,000+), about 6 novelettes (10,000+), and 2 short stories (4000+). At the same time, I've got about 10 other projects that are nearly completed and probably already would be if I wasn't such a slacker.

I think that GoogleDocs would enable me to write with someone clear across the country or wherever and that would be kind of cool.

Maybe what I really need is like an agent or something? I would be willing to give up 15% to have someone else handle the marketing and dealing with reviewers and all that. Someone says one bad word to me and I'm out of commission for a day.

I mean, I've taught myself a lot of stuff about the business of writing in the past year, but there's still so much I don't know. Like the KDP Select terms of service, once they start going into legal babble, my eyes just kind of glaze over and I have no idea what's going on. So if someone else could handle all that... that would be awesome. Plus, even though I think I've gotten better at making cover art, there's still like filters and brushes and stuff I have no idea what to do with
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That I agree with! I would love someone to handle marketing, and etc! Just let me write...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, that part is where the non-fun work is involved. And that's sort of what publishers do (and why they take so much of the money).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, that part is where the non-fun work is involved. And that's sort of what publishers do (and why they take so much of the money).
I just don't think it would be too fair for someone to take that much of the money. I write everything myself. I edit it all myself. And I do the covers myself.

I think it would be better to have a writing partner to read through stuff and make changes or whatever and basically help me out. That or an agent that just handles the dealing with world people.

I don't think someone getting 15% is that bad of a deal for the person if I'm doing all the work and they're just making sure my stuff doesn't look all crazy. I mean, in this world of self-publishing and all that, I think an agent's role is a completely different thing.

Less trying to get a writer recognized, and more being the face of the writer to the rest of the world. Is that stupid? I dunno.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Plots

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I guess people do it.. but I could never imagine this working for me at least, not in either role.
Jack London used to buy plots from Sinclair Lewis
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You might try posting over at NaNoWriMo.org People seek writing buddies over there often enough.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I think it would be better to have a writing partner to read through stuff and make changes or whatever and basically help me out. That or an agent that just handles the dealing with world people.
It sounds to me like what you're looking for is an editor and an intellectual properties lawyer. The latter is pretty expensive, but the former can be hired for reasonable rates.

The fact is, since you're looking for someone to handle the less-fun end of things, you are probably going to have to pay them to do it.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
It sounds to me like what you're looking for is an editor and an intellectual properties lawyer. The latter is pretty expensive, but the former can be hired for reasonable rates.

The fact is, since you're looking for someone to handle the less-fun end of things, you are probably going to have to pay them to do it.
An editor though, is essential. There's an old saying that a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. That's even more so with editing. You CANNOT edit your own work; it needs to be done with an impartial eye.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An editor though, is essential. There's an old saying that a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. That's even more so with editing. You CANNOT edit your own work; it needs to be done with an impartial eye.
I agree to an extent.

Specifically: I agree that a good editor is invaluable in helping bring a story to its greatest potential. Everyone has mental blind spots, over-used words, and hideous phrases that ought to be evicted from one's vocabulary. Also, after working on the same manuscript for months (or years!), it's difficult to spot places where a new reader may become confused.

However, I would add the caveat that all editors are not created equal. You would not believe some of the nightmare stories I have heard about overzealous copy-editors who systematically introduce errors into a manuscript. No editor is better than a bad editor.

So, respect your editor, yes. But make sure he or she is also worthy of it.