Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #31
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Sorry, but this is only a preemptive hack. It doesn't allow you to fix an already broken kindle. You need to have installed it before your kindle broke, so you can recover afterwards if anything happens. It isn't of much use to most people I know. I find it useful because I've bricked like 4 kindles.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #32
superium
superium began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Thanks for your reply.
i'll try to find another way to solve this problem.
superium is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #33
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Kindle 3.3 unbricking insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
[snip]
...The only exceptions are if you broke the bootloader or the kernel.
[snip]
...Oh, and so far, it's only for Kindle 3.1.
[snip]
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-custom-kernel
I am still on 3.1 and I am considering updating to 3.3.

On inspection, after expanding the .bin, I noticed that the 3.3 update will replace the kernel, effectively breaking your 3.1 recovery kernel.

Any chance a new recovery kernel for Kindle 3.3 could be developed?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #34
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
I am still on 3.1 and I am considering updating to 3.3.

On inspection, after expanding the .bin, I noticed that the 3.3 update will replace the kernel, effectively breaking your 3.1 recovery kernel.

Any chance a new recovery kernel for Kindle 3.3 could be developed?
Amazon hasn't released the source for 3.3 yet, so I can't yet.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, sorry for asking.

I was under the impression that your 3.1 recovery kernel was patched from the binary 1) overwriting amazon signing keys with the jailbreak ones and 2) NOP-ing the password check instructions.
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #36
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Oops, sorry for asking.

I was under the impression that your 3.1 recovery kernel was patched from the binary 1) overwriting amazon signing keys with the jailbreak ones and 2) NOP-ing the password check instructions.
The recovery binary is patched, but I can't just copy and paste it into the kernel. There's various checksums and stuff to prevent kernel corruption. I don't have the time to figure out where all these checksums are and change them.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #37
PoP

Quote:
Amazon hasn't released the source for 3.3 yet, so I can't yet.
I just noticed amazon posting the source recently : http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200203720 but I perfectly understand that you are busy on other projects.

Quote:
The recovery binary is patched, but I can't just copy and paste it into the kernel. There's various checksums and stuff to prevent kernel corruption. I don't have the time to figure out where all these checksums are and change them.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #38
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
If I had to choose between 3.3 and yifanlu's custom kernel I'd always choose the custom kernel.
I love it.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #39
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Thanks for the update PoP, I asked Amazon weeks ago for the 3.3 source but they said they don't know when it'll be up. I compared it to the 3.2.1 kernel and the only differences are the power slider now don't have to be held as long to restart or sleep or something. Also, some changes to IP tables. Right now, my first priority is extracting the Kindle 4 nand so when I have free time, I'll do that first. However, my directions for compiling the kernel still works and someone else can feel free to extract the recovery initramfs from my kernel (don't just get the script, get the whole initramfs) and compile the new kernel with the initramfs in the config.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #40
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
How would one go about compiling tun.ko for a Kindle on 3.3? I've attempted it several times and end up with bad symbols in the modules.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #41
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

When you compile a module, you must also compile and update the kernel. Even if nlthing's changed. It's weird, I know. A limitation of Linux.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #42
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Hi Yifanlu, I bricked my Kindle DX Graphite US version and cannot find rootfs (it seems nobody has it)for that so I decided directly update to 3 version of firmware. As I have found it in internet.

Hi You can delete this post the issue is solved differently, Hawhill Supported me. Thank you everybody.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_update_tool_lite.zip (2.1 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by stranger_st; 10-20-2011 at 06:29 AM.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #43
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
By the way; 3.3 source is available now.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #44
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I'd like to try and backport stuff from 4.0.1 to 3.2.1; but first some safety I'd need this custom kernel for the above version, did someone already built one? I'd do it myself but I'm quite afraid of bricking.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #45
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Here's fresh custom 3.3 kernel, which I've just compiled and installed. Have fun.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kin...tom_kernel.zip
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote